355 - Recent engine out experience in NJ? | FerrariChat

355 Recent engine out experience in NJ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Sancho22, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    I have red a lot in the past year about service and other things.

I am however really curious about recent experience especially with J Scuderia in NJ.

They moved a short while ago to a new location and seems to have a much bigger shop.

I have another shop much closer to me, also highly praised by a few reviews from a few years ago.
    However, I am not too happy with the shops attitude. My 95 2.7 Spyder needs a fair amount of work likely into 5 figures and I literally have to beg to get in for service and the owner is really unpleasant to deal with.

I also like that J Scuderia website has clear estimated costs depending in the level of service, nice facilities etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - in case you don't want to post for the world to see feel free to PM me.
    Happy new Year to all!

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Check the regional forum also there are opinions there. Up to you but something to consider or at least I consider is I tend like shops that had mechanics working when these cars were new as there are tsb's and other things that only experience will offer, newer shops may have to use judgment and speculate. Changing belts is one thing, straight forward... but digging in deeper and applying all the fixes and known tribal knowledge issues a shop collects may be another. Some shops out there are fine belt changers and some are restoration and some in between.

There are a few shops in the area such as New Vernon, Auto Elite, Classic Coach and Pocono Sportscar, Bradan Coachworks, etc. You will hear good and bad about all of them generally but depending on your needs a shop that does deeper work that just a major service may be needed, only some shops can handle rotisserie frame off restorations or serious damage. Some shops don't even have alignments racks let along various jigs.

Just things to consider, best of luck!

3. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Thanks!
    Some of the shops you mention I am familiar with. As you said all have pluses and minuses. I am in contact with one of them as I mentioned above (without the name) and frankly have a hard time to spend a big amount of money 9a t least for me) and being treated like crap.
    Some well regarded shops are great IF you get a certain person if not more mediocre.
    Also, some take forever to complete the job. I know certain shops hold bigger value when the car will be sold again - not thatI intend to (but one never knows theses days)...

4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Will at Exoticars USA knows his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

brogenville likes this.
  5. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    Great shop! They did my last engine out (before they moved). Fonz is an excellent technician with extensive knowledge. He is thorough and glad to share all insights about your car. I find his prices very reasonable compared to other shops. He’s not looking to squeeze every dollar out of you. I’m sure you’ll be happy with the results.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in my 20+ yr plus of servicing cars i believe transparency and quality of work are more important than friendliness.

flash32 likes this.
  7. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    why cannot be both?
    For me the 5 digit bill will be steep. For some it may be pocket change.
    I guess I am expecting too much...
    At any rate i will take the car to J Scuderia.

chopsui likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have no view on J or anyone else in NJ. i'm just saying if someone is capable and transparent thats what matters most. i love nice people but i prefer capable/honest over nice. All the indes i use happen to be nice as well.

9. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    I agree from the point of view of comparing a great shop to a great surgeon. Just make sure you save my life - thanks Doc.
    But it also makes a difference when the person is human ...
    In my case these shops are very comparable (and several other mentioned on NJ/PA) and very capable, with taste experience.
    Everything being equal I do need a good experience
    One of my closest frond runs a shop which primarily builds and maintains race cars. They are crazy busy, work 7 days a week supporting customers and in the years I known him yet to see him being unpleasant even when a customer deserved it.

At any rate - thanks for all the input. I will share my experience once it is all done (likely towards the end of February) so that we all have updated "data".

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im sure you will be in good hands!

11. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Laszlo, it might be just me, but if I'd be spending up to 5 figures on my car and the shop has an attitude, I'd say thanks and keep looking. Many others will take your money, do a solid job and be appreciative.

chopsui and Sancho22 like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If I don’t feel I’m being treated like a valued customer at a shop, I don’t care how damn good you are....it isn’t that hard to treat customers with respect.

chopsui, 76Steel and Sancho22 like this.
  13. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey Laslo, what did you end up doing?

14. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
  15. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    “Share experience at the end of Feb”..... so that means you picked a shop. Sticking with J Scuderia or other? That really was my inquiry. Regardless, good luck.

16. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    J Scuderia
    Bringing it in within the next two weeks
    Talked to the owner in person and I was very impressed

17. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    That’s great to hear. Fonz did the major on my new to me 355 GTB and is currently doing a major plus a ton of other things on my also new to me GTS!

19633500GT and Sancho22 like this.
  18. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Yeah I seen a 355 on the lift
    There was a 355 challenge too and a few other nice cars
    Can’t wait for mine to be done and spring to come...

Oz-ATL likes this.
  19. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Keep us posted on how your experience went.

20. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
  21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I met Fonz a while back. Bright dude, knows his stuff, I liked him a lot.

Sancho22 and Oz-ATL like this.
  22. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Agreed. I wish he could clone himself because he’s slammed.

23. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I would never do business with someone who show a dislike in doing working on anything if he was any type of a professional who is in business should be appreciative of having someone come to him for work
    By him acting that way just tells me he will not put his best effort into serving my vehicle to the expectations and price I’m will to pay
    Stay away from that guy!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Am I the only one who does not understand what he's saying?

25. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    You’re not the only one...seemed to come out of nowhere.