Cali 30 DD in London | FerrariChat

Cali 30 DD in London

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Themaven, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi all

It is time to replace my daily driver C63 AMG 6.2 wagon. I was swiping through the classifieds for a new model of the same thing, when I realised:The kids have grown up and hardly ever go in the car anymore. If they do, we are at most three people in the car, and no more large musical instruments or school sports equipment to carry around.

Mainly, the car is used to drive fairly short distances to business meetings, shopping, visiting relatives and so on. If a kid needs to squeeze in the back seats, a 2+2 is fine.

I own a few Ferraris as weekend cars, but they are all manual transmission straight two seaters, so weekend cars, just not practical for everyday life in London. Plus, they live in garages and need to be uncovered and unplugged, again something I’m not likely to do on a rainy January day to go to the supermarket.

As I don’t have any need for a wagon/estate anymore, I was toying with the idea of a Porsche 991 GTS cabriolet. And then it struck me: why not a California. My favourite of these when I drove them was a 30 with the HS package.

It would mean a full house of Ferraris (literally – I am lucky enough to have four more) and be a stylish and fun way to do everyday stuff.

But – and here at last I’m coming round to my question for this board – are there any anticipated challenges with the car being a real, unpampered, everyday machine. Parked outside, open to the elements (lots of rain in London).

Specifically, roof leaks and general unhappiness with short journeys - has anyone experienced these?

I know Ferraris can throw a big bill at you at random, and I’m less worried about that. What I would not be happy with would be failure to start when my wife is taking my daughter to school one rainy January morning; or conking out when I am driving my elderly mother to hospital, due to water getting into the electrics or whatever.

Everything I have read here suggests that these cars are pretty reliable. But I don’t know how many of them are treated as parked outside daily drivers with the same treatment you would give a diesel BMW.

Any insight welcomed. I really enjoyed the Cali 30 HS and would love to be able to say I have done my DD on the DD and buy it without trepidation for my wife and I.

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius