430 - Gt3 vs Scuderia | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 Gt3 vs Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by redhammer, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    and last but not least the F430 sounds a lot better than the SCUD, never really worked out why this is, except maybe longer end pipes

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having never driven a Scud, is this really true? I thought Scud was supposed to be louder?
    Speciale was def worse sounding than the 458 so I suppose it is possible.

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    correct the Speciale also sounds MUCH worse than the F458, due to shorter pipes

4. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    “Last but not least” Like there is a laundry list of reasons why the F430 is better than the scud

I remember going into my jeweler with my previous generation white face stainless Rolex Daytona. I consider the owner a friend and he asked me my thoughts on the new platinum Daytona with the ceramic bezel and the blue dial. I told him that I loved it, to which he responded that he could add the bezel and the dial to make it look no different, and save me $15,000. I passed for the same reason your logic falls through.

The problem with your logic is you’re still left with a regular F430 and not a Scud. And I would argue to truly replicate it it would cost you significantly more than the delta in the market. Don’t get me wrong it’s a fantastic car still, but not a Scud. It is its own model. Not only would it be questionable if the value would improve on it in the open market, more than likely it would decrease.

To address your statement on lack of lap times, I remember reading a lot the car magazines of the time (You can still look up these articles) that the Scud matched the Enzo around Fiorano (1:24.9). They were amazed that Ferraris made engine track folks version of their entry level car could match the hyper car I’ve only a couple years before. Made a much bigger deal about this than any recent lap times on any of the recent cars that I can remember. A very short search will show you the F430 was a half second slower than the CS (1:27).

And to your comment that the F430 sounds “much better”, that’s subjective. I revisited a couple of those old articles and there were journalists that appreciated the Scud’s sound more. All agreed it was louder.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

redcaruser likes this.
  5. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    my video of a Scud around Autoclub Speedway. bone stock on OEM brakes, which is POS. easily another 2 seconds with a proper brake pads.

Scudmsl, redcaruser and Flea7 like this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    yes...I noticed that when driving this weekend. Dont get me wrong, the SCUD sounded great (as I was usually behind him ha), but a tad too high raspy for me. My 430 much more throatier, and "screams" at higher rpms

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Stock for stock or similar after-market changes? I think a stock Scud sounds much better than a stock F430. After-market setups... hard to say.

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'll give you my $0.02.
    Thanks for the compliment Richard!
    There is one thing I regret when I first bought my car......and it was that it wasn't a Scuderia.
    In saying that, I like to modify my cars and if I did have a Scud I wouldn't have done as much to it as I have to my F430. Like all things... it personal preference.

I agree both with Richard and Daniel. A F430 can be made to out perform a Scud but a Scuderia is a Scuderia! I would love to have one for collectability...and when I say collectability I don't mean investment on a resell. I would probably never sell a Scud if I had one. I'm actually debating to get a 458 or a Scud in addition to f430 moving forward.

Daniel was correct in saying that the mods to my f430 has a cost. Upgrade in CCB, exhaust system, Mase turne, 458 challenge Sabelt carbon seats, Scud floor plates, Sabelts harnesses, to 2 sets of BBS (FI & FI-R) ...along with Trofeo R tires, Novitec springs, Scud carbon engine panels, OEM Scud front bumper, Challenge CF rear grill....the list goes on. I would say that the cost up to now is upwards of $55K.....$60k+??? ...and that's just in cost of materials. Again, I handle all the labor including servicing my car.
    .....BUT!! I love my car...I lover the sound ...I love how responsive the car is and how raw it is. It's as light or lighter than a scud....and It DOES have more HP than a scud. and like Richard said....overall I think my car would out perform it on the track even with the slower shifts. I don't think I will ever sell it.

as far as the question GT3 vs Scud. Well....you know my answer....I think the question should be GT3 Rs vs Scud. That would be harder question to answer...and I think it will still be a Scud!

TheCook, redcaruser and kane00 like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Mind posting a video of your car so I can hear it?
    I am a fanatic about sound in cars and place a huge premium on that aspect. Can’t go wrong with your choice of 458 or Scud!

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I don't have many videos but here is my youtube from 2017. It's really a different car now but still the same Kline exhaust. In the video you can see how quiet the exhaust can be. You can hear the diesel truck beside me at the light. The car revs much faster now.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    @ :06, fantastic.
    How would you compare the sound (tone and loudness) to a 458?
    Was the audio recording made inside the cabin and windows down or external mic?

12. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Holy ... sounds awesome @Flea7

Flea7 likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Was that with stock function valve or valve controller set on open?

14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    The first runs the valves were open. (Kline wireless controller) The second, the valves were closed stopped at the light and the factory system opened them on acceleration on the ramp.

ShineKen likes this.
  15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ..well, I've heard 458s that sounded great!...I haven't driven one in a while. The one I had for the day a couple of years ago had some sort of aftermarket exhaust and it was more civilized.
    You have to understand my car is catless. The recording was with a gopro6 below the rear window mirror below my valentine one. The window was 1/2 way down on the 1st run. I believe the window was rolled up on the 2nd.
    If I was to accelerate like that with my current setup ....I wouldn't be able to hold traction.

dustman likes this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

What were the conditions of your CCBs at the end of the day?

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I don't know what it is, but we're having bad luck with the Kline valve controllers. They're nice, but they don't work. They never worked properly. We've gone through 2 units. They are working on sending us a third. How is yours holding up?

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #93 Flea7, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    YES! I had the same problems with it. They are nicely made with inconel. Heat is the cause of the failure.

Easy solution is to:
    1. Extend the wiring on the transmitter so you have the length to place the transmitter far from a heated area. (I did so with silicone cover wiring)
    2. Wrap the wiring with another heat wrap sheathing. ...see below for amazon link.
    3. Also wrap the transmitter unit with what is called a TIG finger. I tig weld and this is what welders use insulate their finger from heat ...even with gloves on. also see below...
    4. Make sure to place the transmitter far away from heat. I place mine on the passenger side behind the engine panel.

Mine has not failed ever since....hope this helps..Good Luck!!

https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Thermo-Silicone-Coated-Fiberglass/dp/B01HIYOEFW/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=silicone+wire+sheathing&qid=1610589371&sr=8-47

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Tips-Tricks-FINGER-COMBO/dp/B01BE93KZW/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tig+finger&qid=1610589445&sr=8-6

ShineKen likes this.
  19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #94 redcaruser, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    You can be extremely proud about your racing F430, a sensational car! There's a lot of technology in it, as well as emotion and personal engagement. Your car is also proof of what a strong platform the Scuderia is built on. If I would be in your situation, I would never sell this one again also, it is a unique car, a collector's item.

And when it comes to performance or sound, we must not forget that a Scuderia can also be tuned...
    (I still remember well the sound of Richard's Scuderia ;))

I think that brings it to the point, such a car is a unique piece, has cost an enormous amount of money and can probably not be bought in this form.

Therefore I think we can not suggest such a variant to the thread starter. He should decide between a GT3 RS and a Scuderia. I have already written my opinion...

Flea7 and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  20. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    great thread !

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    But whilst we are on this issue there are a couple of points which need to be clarified; i) first of all the SCUD is not a limited edition model like the CS (yes I owned one of those too, for 8 years, lovely design BUT gutless engine, goodbye, thank you) there were zillions of Scuds made, at least 2,500, 200 minimum currently for sale globally, most for several years, nobody wants one girls ii) if you bought a F430 with carbon seats and brakes, that was another 20k add an exhaust ECU tune etc, maybe 26k+ iii) the f430 sounds much better, trust me guys I owned both cars for 10-15 years, I have tried all exhaust and intake variations, you will NEVER make a SCUD sound better than a F430. Last but not least you do this all with a F430 spider too, at least the 16M was a limited edition, even though Ferrari never numbered the cars, cough !!!!!!!

Flea7 likes this.
  22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    ultimately a performance convertible Ferarri will always be worth more

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I would have bought a convertible GT3 RS without a particle filter, but also love by tuned 981 Boxster GTS

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    so as I already owned a lightweight tuned F430 Spider, a tuned 981 Boxster GTS, swapping the SCUD for a techart 991 GT3 RS was a total no brainer & guess what, 2 years later my previous SCUD is still unsold

25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    and with my 991 GT3 RS I could not be happier, it is a MASSIVELY superior car to the SCUD in all respects road, sound and track. Each to their own