My First Ferrari | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Laci, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    As you guys can see I'm new to this forum
    Been an enthusiast all my life and now I decided to take the plunge and finally buy one
    Found a 2012 California for a good price and considering it
    But before seriously considering it , would like to ask the opinion of Ferrari owners.

The current owner states that he bought the car second hand form a dealer with 7000km on it now it has 35000km .
    Asked for the option list on the car and when he sent it one thing stuck out . It stated that it has yellow calipers but on the pictures of the car it has red ones. Now he claims that its in pristine condition always serviced by Ferrari and never been in an accident.
    Claims "Calipers were never changed. Vehicle was purchased with around 7,000km from Ferrari. I didn’t even notice that, must of been an error"

Should I be concerned and avoid the car or the dealer could make an error like this and owner never notice it?
    Would this have an impact on the value of the car now and in future?

Any and all opinions would be welcomed

Thanks

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome to F-chat. I think the old saying goes something along the lines of
    you are not just buying the car but also the seller. No one likes a Ferrari
    with "stories." If you ever try to sell it, this may be innocent, but it may also be a
    story that will deter future buyers should you sell your Cali.

How long have you been looking? Are there other F options where you are?

T

3. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    That's exactly what I'm worried about.

Live in central Canada and unfortunately dealers are located ether east or west of me
    Looking for something for over a year now but just about three moths ago the search became almost a daily routine.
    Came to the conclusion if I don't get something shortly I may never buy.
    My firs choice would be a 488 spider but prices are still a bit high , Maybe the next one.

The Cali looks perfect but why would anyone ever change calipers unless something is wrong .
    The funny part is it a white car and it looks better with red calipers

Thanks

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'd pass. Unless you get a concrete answer, it'll nag you, & you don't want to have a frown on your face when you're rolling in a drop top F-car!

For what it's worth, it took 2 years and threats of violence from my wife to finally find "the one."

T

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Calipers can easily be repainted, perhaps a previous owner preferred red to yellow and had them painted or swapped for red ones.

I am having mine refinished in yellow from the original silver right now, in fact. It's the one thing I wish was different on the car.

jblakesmith_gt and ryalex like this.
  6. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And if they were repainted then a receipt of the work done can get you off the hook with a potential buyer if you ever want to sell.

But also could raise questions from the potential buyer as well.

- were they taken off the the car when painted.
    - was the work done by Ferrari or some other shop.
    - does it perfectly match oem.

This came up when I was considering painting my calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Expand your search to AutoTrader, filtering only 2012 - 2014 models sold by reputable dealers. You can see the complete CarFax history and compare cars by mileage and/or price. I’m not familiar with buying in the states and bringing the car back into Canada, but when you’re spending $100k + on a car the money you would spend traveling to pick up the right one isn’t all that much in the great scheme of things. That’s how I found mine and it gave me dozens of cars to choose from.

8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Where are the service records? Sounds like you have less than a good feeling about this car, and if you do, you will never be happy. The search is at times frustrating, but make sure you are happy (and get documentation) before you pull the trigger!

Laci likes this.
  9. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    My personal view, especially when buying your first Ferrari, is trust your instincts. Little nagging doubts like this tend to stay with you. There could be all manner of reasons why they are not the colour that the documentation states, some innocuous and some not so. My Ferrari garage tells me the stories of how pedantic Ferrari are about documentation accuracy and if I was buying one second hand I'd want the paperwork and service records to match perfectly with the car and all be performed by a dealer. In fact I would also want it warranted as this should be possible for cars up to 12 years old and that is a good sign that Ferrari themselves are happy enough with the car to allow extended warranty to be purchased. That is no better assurance in my opinion that a second hand Ferrari has been properly looked after.
    Just my opinion but for you first F car peace of mind is super important.
    Cheers.

Laci and alex like this.
  10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I’m with Vic that it wouldn’t be a deal breaker if the price is right.
    • Yes, the factory makes mistakes and delivers cars with the wrong trim, seats, wheels and stripes
    • More likely is that the first owner repainted or swapped them. Repaint probably ~$2k, changing calipers would be a lot more than that which makes the repaint more likely.
    The actual things to worry about on the California are the DCT and the top mechanism/motor. Those are $14-34k and $8-16k problems, respectively, if they occur.

adabbagh likes this.
  11. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    I know calipers can be painted or the factory made a mistake but why no paper trail on it. That's what is strange.

12. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Even if you repaint them it should have a record and that would make it more legit.

13. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Ok that makes me feel better ... No wife she took me to the cleaners 7 years ago

ryalex likes this.
  14. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Exactly, so if you have no record of them being painted and “no one ever noticed” there was a discrepancy from the spec sheet then I would want to know the story.

It’s likely a small story, but when I bought mine I wanted all stories to have happy endings. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Laci likes this.
  15. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    The car looks better with red . My two favorite colors red and white and this is a white Cali. But why no paperwork on it and no reasonable explanation.

16. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Thank you guys for all the replies all of them are useful and makes me think
    Guess it's not easy to buy your first Ferrari.

Thanks

17. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    I heard this before ... It's all about the stories.
    Thanks

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you're looking at F-car ownership, I would say you've rebounded!
    T

19. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Wanna know what I think?
    I think y'all are KILLING me here, haha.

It's a '12 Cali .... not an F50.
    On a 2012 Cali, the ONLY things that should matter to you is "Do you love it?" and "what is its current condition?"

My opinion: Worrying over a caliper color-change on a non-collectible car is (imho) the epitome of "ferraristi elitism."

He's looking at a car with some miles on it, presumably because that's what's in his price-range. A similar criteria applied for me when I was searching for my F430 (again: not a collectible). Ultimately, I elected to go with the car that was more cared-for. It had some tasteful modifications done by the current owner. Maintenance was up to date and I could tell the car was meticulously cared-for (as was borne-out by his blogs on this forum, as well).

This isn't a "story", it's simply a curiosity. In my opinion, I would NEVER let a head-scratcher over Caliper Color keep me from buying the car I like. You are buying a CAR. This is NOT an investment. If you do this right, you will sell the car for LESS than you pay for it, because you'll have driven it, adding many miles to the odometer. If you decide to add stickers of unicorns to it after you've had it for 4 months, then do so. It's a car. Yes it's a special car. But not so special as to require a fine-tooth comb when selecting the one you want.

AD211 likes this.
  20. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    In Laci's own words, he says that the current owner "claims that its in pristine condition always serviced by Ferrari and never been in an accident." Hence my question, "Where are the service records?" Documentation is so important in judging the condition of a car. One can "claim" anything. Where are the records?

jag-oo-r and Bill Phillips like this.
  21. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Agreed but since the caliper color came up (not a big issue if there is a reason for it) i started digging a bit further other issues started to come up .
    Carfax has seven ownership changes , no service records that i can see from Ferrari ect. The calipers just raised some questions because they stuck out

alex and jag-oo-r like this.
  22. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Looking for them now
    thanks

23. Laci

Laci Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Winnipeg MB
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Kozik
    Yahh you are right . It's a good feeling

Thanks

24. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just so. While this may not be a ‘collectible’ model, the phrase Caveat Emptor still applies. As a wise man once advised me about finding the right woman, “There’s no rush, they’re like buses. Another one comes along every 15 minutes.

Laci likes this.
  25. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I get what you're saying, I'm just suggesting not to overthink it if the car is otherwise fine and you like everything else about it, you're getting. I traded a 2015 Porsche 911 cabriolet at a Ferrari dealer and gave them really comprehensive records on the car, and two months later I got an email from the guy who bought it asking if I had any records on it -- they had just tossed or lost the folder. So while there may be a story or paper trail, it didn't necessarily make it through the owners and dealers with the car. Especially with that many owners ... and it's not uncommon for a 9-year old car to have had multiple owners. But if it's making you uncomfortable, just keep looking!

jag-oo-r likes this.