What's this? | FerrariChat

What's this?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jgmblair, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #1 jgmblair, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Forgot to post this picture when I did my drivers side window, found this wedged in around the cable. Was wondering what its function might be as there was not one on the passenger side. The window has always been verrrrry slow and laborious to open or close. Also found the cables crossed on this side. The door had previously been opened by someone as the black barrier was cut and taped back together.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    That is the fitting that comes originally around the cable to stop it unwinding off the drum while fitting. It has obviously been forgotten when fitting and the first window operation has displaced it. Put it aside as it will come in very handy when you need to replace your window cables.

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Holy Windows Batman. They actually had a tool for that? I wish I would have seen that before I did my windows!!! Cool find!

4. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have an OIL SEAL that I use for my windows. The right diameter and I just cut about a forty five degree chunk out of it .The inner lip of the seal works great to keep the cable on the drum. Slides out of the way easily. I think I have the original tool also, but for some reason made the oil seal tool. I SAW the cut oil seal in my shop the other day, If anyone wants to know the seal number I could probably find it again.

Yes Kluber is expensive grease. There's PROBABLY other greases that have a long life without turning into clay. I've taken apart COUNTLESS machines, grinder spindles with totally frozen bearings that just need to be flushed out and regreased, and the bearings are still good. I use Kluber in my machine tool bearings, because some of my bearing sets are over a thousand bucks. Small angular bearing spindle bearings are two to three hundred dollars a pair. My tube of Kluber COST over a hundred bucks, but it's greased TENS of thousands of dollars of bearings. Knowing from fifteen, twenty years experience that it doesn't harden, makes it worth whatever it costs. Time is money. Who wants to do windows every few years if you make the mistake of using Lubriplate. I know absolutely, that it is ROCK hard in less than ten years. That's the voice of experience.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The cable needs to cross but if there is no space between the strands it was routed incorrectly. The rollers are offset so the strands do not touch when correct.

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I use Redline grease-it doesn’t harden either.

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Does someone have that tool? If so, measure it for me and I will 3D print some we can send around the community when others need to borrow them

1RedHead and vincenzo like this.
  8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Member Martin308GTB made/printed some of these and sold them for a very reasonable price. I purchased one. WHen I did my windows a couple years ago I used my whittling skills and crafted a wooden wedge to do the same thing. All you need is something to hold the cables in place on the drum until you get them installed and the cable properly run. Then just pop the tool (or wood block) out. Not a bad job as long as you are careful watch the details.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    vincenzo likes this.
  10. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Tim's posts on this this topic and his clear information was my inspiration to tackle this jpb on my TR. Following Tim's (and other's) guidance it turned out fine and my windows are 'respectable' now - still not fast by any means. Below is my handcrafted tool. :eek: Not near as nice and precise as Tim's but it worked fine to hold the cable on the spool during install.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    You just took all the fun out of someone getting to use their fancy 3D printer ;)

c4b4the04 and turbo-joe like this.
  12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    A cheap old school boomer. No printer. My VCR is still blinking.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually a screw is a better design feature. The handle as designed cannot be grabbed to remove once the regulator is installed. A screw is easier to put a safety wire handle extension on.

14. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I just sat in a virtual meeting and drew the part. These pics are awesome. I will export the STL into my slicing engine and plot with a chopped carbon and nylon filament. I'll keep you posted

15. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    The absolute minimum I can do as a forum member is send you the first one for free.

Pm me your address and this one goes in the mail to you tomorrow. It’s identical to the size stuff you posted so it should be good to go. Making a second one now. I’d love to have someone give this a shot. Obviously I’ll use it on my own car soon enough by my bumper is my focus this month. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I really need to get a little website together. I’ve got a great design for cam timing markers, spark plug wire clips, tail light socket repair tabs, various brackets, etc that I’ve drawn and printed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion and wax like this.
  16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    mille grazie! PM sent. You mentioned using a pretty stiff fiber-reinforced material, and I'm still unclear if the two prongs have to flex to slip over the OD of reel (moving perpendicular to the reel axis), or if it slides off sideways from the reel (moving parallel to the reel axis). (And I'm completely drawing a blank on how the wooden wedge tool works to hold the cable around the reel ;).)

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Looks a helluva lot nicer than a piece of hacked off pvc.

Nice work!

c4b4the04 likes this.
  18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The factory clip just pulls off of the cable reel once you are done installing the motor and routing the cable properly. It has enough flex that it will slip over the OD of the cable reel.

As Rifledriver has mentioned you cannot easily access the T-handle to remove it once the motor is installed. I make a leash using safety-wire to pull the clip off after installing the motor.

On other Ferrari's where this clip doesn't fit the cable reel, I just wind several wraps of electrical tape over the cable reel to keep the cable in place during installation. After installation, I use an exacto knife to remove the tape. No special tools needed.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

19. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Valid point, indeed. The chopped carbon makes it almost impossible to 'break' but the nylon gives it flexibility. The printer I'm using has a full stranded carbon fiber (or kevlar) option with virtually no chance of breaking. My set up is a softer final part and more flexible. My spark plug clips are all made with it and have worked very well.

20. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I checked to see if I took pictures of the wooden wedge "tool" in action. But all three of my hands were busy holding the motor, guiding cables, trying to guide everything back together properly.:confused:

It is very simple actually. (Look at the "tool" and the person using it, it has to be simple!.) All you really need is a way to keep the cable wound on the spool during installation. Once you preload the barrel/spool/reel with the cable, you will have cables coming off both sides of the spool. You then wedge the "tool" into the spool capturing one side of the cable loop behind the "tool" and the other side of the cable loop in front of the "tool". Kind of like this:

Once you get the cable run properly (pay attention!), reach in and grab the "ergonomically friendly extraction handle" (omitted from the drawing for clarity ;)) and pull out the "tool".

Don't laugh. It worked for me! :D

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not laughing -- thanks for the explanation. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing the actual mechanism myself yet (and Jeff's disassembled photo doesn't convey the structure of your sketch).

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Spark plug wire clips have gotten expensive from Ferrari but they are still available and in some places for far less money. As seldom as most owners buy them I personally do not see that as a high priority. As a shop owner I have far more need for the fuel line clips in their various sizes and configurations. Only one is available. I'd far rather see a good quality reproduction of those. I do know some are being or have been made but not of good quality. The plastic needs more elasticity and heat resistance than what I have seen used in reproductions.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You know those were made in different sizes for other regulators.

24. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

Do you mean the white plastic line clips that separate the injector lines? These are easy to draw, but my strongest material is black. These were injection molded (and very fragile). I did feel fortunate to find 2,3, and 4 wire ones available from Eurospares last spring.

I'd be happy to make up a batch of these in different arrangements but they would be black and not white.