Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 185 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And the beat goes on, ladi dadi daa.

william likes this.
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    While I agree with what Stroll Sr. is saying what Lance is going through is no different than any other driver who gets branded with a reputation early in their career that rightly or wrongly follows them. In addition others will endlessly point to anything they can find to pin to that 'reputation' to act as the reason to criticize them. Just human nature I suppose.

PureEuroM3, william and tifosi12 like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, unfortunately you are right.

Some people love to hate.

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The constant attempts by some on here trying to discredit Lance are quite humorous. They are so predictable and one sided. As Lance develops as a driver and brings home more and more results, these efforts at detracting from his accolades are getting more hysterical. It's quite funny to observe. I can't wait for this season to begin. :)

william likes this.
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm always suspect of people who universally cannot see praise or fault with anyone. While we all have our biases and preferences I try my best to be objective and not endlessly try to prove a particular way I see the world.

This is certainly seen in politics were some people are universally vilified regardless of what they do. Maybe after racing Lance can run for Prime Minister of Canada. We currently have a 2nd generation pretty boy rich kid running the show :D

6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Seems to me that Lance is ONLY achieving more because he is in a much better car, now. He still cannot approach the level of his teammate.

Others with his level of talent would never achieve enough to attain a seat in such a better car. He did, but not on merit.

Kevin

sammysaber, stavura, Bas and 3 others like this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I do not see the consistency of an unconditional support to Mercedes under the pretext of a sport rewarding the most deserving, and on the other the acceptance of a driver depriving of more talented than him their arrival in formula one ..

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Motor racing has never been a pure meritocracy.

tifosi12 and william like this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And especially not when it comes to F1. $ rules.

william likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He develops??!!!! at the rate he's going he'll become a midfield driver in 20 years!!!

sammysaber and kes7u like this.
  11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Modern F1 racing has no mid-field drivers only mid-field cars. Any of the current drivers can be race winners in the correct car and a few are really exceptional talents that can do super special things. This is in stark contrast to the mid 2000's and before where there were some genuinely sub-par drivers who could not win regardless of what car they were in.

The current quality of drivers across the field is the best and most studied/prepared than there ever has been. The same goes for the teams where the performance spread from first to last would have been the top 3-4 in the 90's let alone the car reliability which is quite extraordinary.

People like to criticize but the numbers don't lie. Modern F1 is closer that it has ever been which is what makes Mercedes' ability to eek out that extra little bit all the more exceptional and praiseworthy (even if it makes victories a little predictable).

william likes this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. You are completely correct in saying that.

The constant attempts by some on here trying to credit Lance are quite humorous. They are so predictable and one sided. As Lance's dad buys better and better cars, naturally Lance will move up the grid, these efforts at crediting his accolades are getting more hysterical as he's still way behind his teammate. It's quite funny to observe. I can't wait for this season to begin. :)

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    He can drive but he can't race.

sammysaber, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    that's about right.

In his first season he looked so out of place...he had zero confidence driving his car about. This has improved, undeniably.

Take away the sponsorship and he wouldn't be considered by a single team. His racecraft is non-existent.

sammysaber and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Gotta feel for Lance a bit ..i mean who on earth would want to be in his shoes ?:rolleyes:

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Norris and Ricci described Lance well this year. Not at all complimentary

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If we were to use Max's radio comments on other drivers then just about everyone in the field is some kind of ******** or #######.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 that's it in a nutshell.

sammysaber and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. DF1

The specific incidents with Ricci in Austria and Norris in Portugal are more than clear indicators of well known skill commenting on one with little.

Stroll like Vettel has some speed. Racing skill, comfort on the brakes etc is very different. His pathetic pass on Norris was beyond amateur. Stroll rare to ever admit fault. He is simply not that good. Admitting that to himself might find ways to grow. His podiums were gifts. Gasly is an example of clear growth. Lance is much more muted but its fun to see the press state how much he has grown then show incidents like Norris for the next race. Glaring contrast to the press.

He is no longer a rookie. He is young but we start year 5 now. Without his family wealth - would you hire him. I would not and have said so year after year.

sammysaber, Picchu88 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Perhaps someone can explain to me what is 'racecraft' and why is it that a lack or absence of racecraft is endlessly being attached to Lance?

From my understanding racecraft generally encompasses most on-track things outside of setting a fast lap time. Things like overtaking, vehicle management, negotiating traffic, etc. Over the years I have seen Lance become a better qualifier (not just the car but other factors) and when starting lower down being pretty good on the opening lap and making up positions without running into other people. In addition he has had lots of close running in a crowd and has done well, does not chuck it off the road too often, among the better mid-fielders in the wet (maybe even better than that), and seems to generally manage a race pretty well. Yes there are instances we can point to where he failed (same with everyone else) and NO I'm not saying he is the next coming of Christ either but I don't see where this universal 'Lance lacks all racecraft' comes from. Again an example of something being repeated over and over again and being treated as fact in the absence of general proof. Spare me the one pass on one corner arguments because if you go down that path then EVERY driver in the field can be made to look like a total tosser.

Fact is that on a general body of performance Lance has pretty good racecraft. Yes there are others who are better but to generally say he lacks that skillset is both uninformed and unsupported. Then again what do I know, I've only been doing this for decades and have every reason in the world to hate the likes of Lance.

Bas, Schultz, william and 1 other person like this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +18

william likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Amazing how somebody without racecraft can put a car on pole and on to the podium several times.

I have no racecraft either. Maybe I should try F1?

PS: Makes me wonder where that leaves a guy like Hulk? He is so much loved here that he clearly must have that mythical racecraft you speak of. Yet no results. So what went wrong? Did he not use the correct spell? Abracadabra, simsalabim? :cool:

william and Nuvolari like this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Race craft is very different from single lap speed. The latter Stroll has improved upon but it was still 10-4 in favour of Perez. Not quite sure why ''race craft'' has to be explained to you.

24. DF1

Take a look at the video of the attempted pass on Norris. Goes left and does not use the football size space on the right. Huh?? Lack of race craft. Not bad example of it.

Honest opinion and not altered by team. We ask for this from drivers. He also notes he learns nothing from Friday with Max either.

---Lando Norris hit out at Lance Stroll following their crash in the Portuguese Grand Prix, saying the Racing Point Formula 1 driver "doesn't seem to learn with anything he does".

Norris had run as high as third for McLaren in the opening stages of Sunday's race at Portimao, and was in contention for a points finish prior to his collision with Stroll on lap 18 of the race.

Stroll looked to pass Norris around the outside at Turn 1 despite being out wide on the kerb, and turned into the McLaren driver on the inside, resulting in contact.

It left Norris with damage that had to be repaired at a pitstop soon after the collision, ruining his race, while Stroll received a five-second time penalty for causing the crash.

Norris ultimately finished the race down in 13th, after later struggling with a slow puncture, while Stroll retired with 15 laps to go after dropping to last and receiving a second five-second time penalty for exceeding track limits.

Speaking about the collision after the race, Norris expressed his confusion over Stroll's move and why he tried a similar pass to the one which resulted in contact with Max Verstappen in practice on Friday.

"I don't know what he was doing really," Norris said.

"I don't know where he was really. He went to the left, which I was quite surprised by when he easily could have gone to the inside. I was easily halfway alongside, and he just turns in.

"He obviously didn't learn from Friday, but he doesn't seem to learn with anything he does. It happens a lot, so I just need to make sure I stay away."

25. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Right on! I mean, who on earth would? Not me.

Hyper rich father who buys an F1 race team for me in which to learn how to race, renames the team, then buys Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings LLC and forms close relationship with Mercedes-Benz so he can get the CEO of M-B AMG to leave there and become CEO of his new plaything.

And I guess some day I'll inherit that hyper wealth.

I sure wouldn't want to be that guy's son.

greg328, Nuvolari, DF1 and 1 other person like this.