Ferrari Fun | FerrariChat

Ferrari Fun

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by DavidWP, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter

In the early '80's, I was considering the purchase of an affordable Ferrari. A friend found a very affordable one and decided he would round up some of our cronies and surprise me (and a very skeptical wife) with the proposal that this one would be a good choice. The photo session was to document the somewhat, dare I say it, trashy Ferrari in my driveway on trash day. I will let you decide what level you would guess my wife's skepticism reached.

The bonus footage shows my sleeper collection, a red 'Vette and and an 'unmarked police car', as the skeptic called it. Enjoy.......

mcimino and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I love it.

Before I could drive, my father bought the 1981 GTSi that I still have. At some point we were driving all around the suburbs of Pittsburgh. We came to a 4-way stop at a shady old brick road. And also stopped at the cross street was a GTE. People in both cars were so surprised we didn't know how to react!

Matt

Fennicus and mcimino like this.
  3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I love it. “Get that piece of junk out of here... we need room for our Chevette!”

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice video, and the engine seemed to be in good condition - no oilsmoke when driving
    but is this a 2 color car or is this dark brown rust?

5. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    The price of the toolkit today is problsby more than the price of the car then!
    Great story!!

DavidWP likes this.
  6. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Nice Dunlops on the T1000! Why was the paint in that condition?

7. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    It did seem to be a good engine.

Just a nice yellow and primer paint job. :(

The owner had done some restorations (2383 among them) but decided 3199, at the time, was not worth restoring. I think it went to a chop shop to be made into a phony hi-zoot "Ferrari".

8. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Factory paint and elbow grease, why do you ask?

amerikalei likes this.
  9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Are you saying that that video was from the 80's. I would have guessed early 70's.

10. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Actually, it was filmed, appropriately, on April Fools Day 1980. I did buy a GTE (4959 - RIP) on January 24, 1981.

Picture below is September 18, 1982 – Hoosier Swap Meet at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – My 4959, Lee Wilson’s 275 GTB Alloy 08059, Lee’s 250 GT Spyder California Alloy 2383, Ed Howell’s 365 GT 2+2 ‘Queen Mother’ 13151 Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, looks like the 70's. Love reading stuff like this!

DavidWP likes this.
  12. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I meant the 250 GTE... T100 looked about as good as one of those hot hatches could!

13. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    3199 was a stalled restoration bought cheap and driven, without a heater and with a porous floor, from North Carolina to Northern Indiana in the dead of winter. Primer and paint two-tones are the official colors of stalled restorations. Should we assume that the cost of stopping the engine smoke exhausted the NC dude's restoration bank account? Wonder where the remains of 3100 are now?

amerikalei likes this.
  14. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Not 3100, I should have said 3199. Does anyone have any information about what happened to it?