F-111F Refueling from KC-135 | FerrariChat

F-111F Refueling from KC-135

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tazandjan, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    An unusual photo. The angle and lighting are dramatic but the TFX-LBJ will never be dear to my heart or excite me after working on the winning proposal team until Johnson and Mac Namarra entered the picture. Hats off to Taz, though.

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- She was still the best long range interdiction fighter in the world when we retired her in 1996. Admittedly, the Boeing version likely would have been better.

Bob Parks likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The F-111 was a good airplane once the bugs were worked out, at least on land. But the carrier trials of the F-111B were almost laughable. What a clumsy looking airplane! They did the right thing cancelling it and transferring the Phoenix to the F-14, which was a much better all-around fighter.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The Navy told Mac Namarra that the airplane was way too heavy to operate from carriers and that it was unfit. It was way over the max landing weight for the carrier decks but ol' Mac insisted on" One Size Fits All."

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The TFX proposal will always stick in my craw. When it was awarded to Gen Dynamics not only was all of our design data sent to GD per competition rules but soon after, GD admitted that they needed more technical help and 100's of laid- off Boeing engineers went to Dallas to bail them out. A lot of the configuration of the competition GD airplane showed features that we had thrown out 6 months before as unworkable. So, in the end, after correction, much of the final F-111 was influenced by Boeing. BUT LBJ got it built in Dallas and that was the most important thing , after all, wasn't it.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F-111F performed great in Desert Storm. We took home all the aircraft that started Desert Storm. MC rate was around 92%, never seen in peacetime.

Ryan S., tritone, donv and 2 others like this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Always a bad idea to light off a 30,000 lbst, rocket-powered capsule while on the boom.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't knock the airplane, just the route to get it there. Several other proposal programs on which I worked went the same way. I don't take kindly to seeing months of hard work and overtime to produced the winning proposal only to see it go to a political favorite. I know, Grow up, that's the real world. I'm glad that the F-111 served you well, Taz, it turned out to be a good airplane.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Just to clarify, the F-111 was not built in Dallas. The plant is on the west side of Fort Worth across the runway from what was then Carswell AFB.

Ryan S. likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, visited it many times writing tech manuals. Got to see the GD F-16A demo pilot fly while there one time. Our comments were "you cannot do that with an airplane". Times change. They were building up the F-16 production line last time I was there. Still going strong, even if they are L-M now.

We won a SAC/TAC bomb competition (Giant Voice) with the F-111D and L-M was quick to call it an L-M F-111D.

technom3 likes this.