Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It seems to me the BaT phenomenon is literally tied to the absolute extreme wealth by those high bidders/winners and collection building effect. There have been repeated examples within the Ferrari's on BaT where if you look at some of the top bidders or the winners they are building very expensive collections. The wealth these people have must be so strong that these type of capital purchases in the grand scheme of things must be modest.

For those out there looking to buy its a hard time because the shenanigans at BaT and those somewhat senseless buyers cause an effect on the rest of the market.

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Eric. I see that, but why wouldn’t those same collectors buy cars from dealers? I don’t understand that side - it seems BAT is more expensive than the market, and as an auction site, less reliable. That’s the obverse of why you would usually buy a car like this at auction.

an example from gated 430 world here.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-f430-berlinetta-9/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

there are examples with fewer miles, on sale for less, at dealers. Why not buy one of them?

I own two gated 430s and still think this is strange.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, defies all common sense.

4. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Question which is more collectible/ desirable a low mileage original 575 Maranello or a low mileage 575 that was converted to manual? I would prefer the latter as my thoughts are that it is the way it left from the factory, unless you send it back to the factory to do the conversion; thus it would be an authentic I.e parts number matching.

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Stick with me for a minute.....

Let’s assume many of the BaT buyers are business owners or professional doctors or attorneys or executives with very little time, a small threshold for B.S. and an even lower threshold for dealing with used car salesman....

Many of the BaT guys are building or adding to collections, it’s fascinating....

We assume most people here are “economically fortunate to weathly”....but the BaT Ferrari buyer has copious amounts of F.U. money.

A few keyboard clicks and bang you buy a Maranello and a 430 and this and that...easy peasy....

Gamblers mentality a little with the rush and feeling of winning and back to work or whatever?

the last 550 buyer go look at his profile and see his history of buying and then look also for HarleyS3 this guys wealth MUST be extremely strong..... that guy recently threw down $76 THOUSAND dollars for a bimota. I’m a Ducati 916 owner, I love the Italians but that is bananas......

here is that guy https://bringatrailer.com/search/harleys3/

The guy on the recent BaT auction for the Grigio alloy 575 that outbid me early on has a handle of “ronst” and I think he also bid on the superamerica....a quick google search shows that guy has an estimated $75mm net worth. These guys are extremely wealthy.

Buying cars for the ultra wealthy is like going to lunch.....

F456M likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- When you change from F1 to 3 pedals, the same transmission is used, so all the numbers still match. I doubt the factory has the parts to convert a 575M now, but I guess Classiche could make them. Would hate to see the price for that, even if they would do it. Aston does, normally Ferrari does not.

7. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Ok so would from collectibility stand point be the same original F1 vs non factory change manual?

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Curious to know, as I’m making a bunch of parts now to convert v12 cara to manual.

Lack of originality doesn’t seem to have hurt EAG’a sales of non-original 430 conversion kits, not the prices of the converted cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- You can always get a factory build sheet or option sheet to tell whether a Ferrari is an original 3 pedal or not. What that does to value is an open question, as Robin noted, and really depends on the buyer. Many owners have decided they want 3 pedals, but cannot afford a real one. Neither the 575M nor the F430 are currently collector cars. There were approximately as many original 3 pedal F430s built as there were total 575Ms built.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If the cars become big collectibles (still an if) then if the history of collectible cars is anything to go by, originality becomes very important in terms of value creation.

If on the other hand it’s about having a car with such and such a gearbox, then if it’s well done, it doesn’t make a difference in terms of driving experience.

Taz - there has been a lot of debate on the 430 board as you know about gated 430 numbers. No factory stats. The estimates seem to run from around 1200 to 2000, which is less than the production run of 575s either way?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- My estimate is around 2000 F430 3 pedals and 575M production is documented as 2056 or 2064, paradoxically from the same source.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Eric. That’s interesting. I guess it’s like me buying cereal from a local store that’s more expensive than a supermarket..they don’t notice the difference in price. And maybe also want to be seen to be buying the cars, which doesn’t happen with a dealer.

still strange though. The very wealthy people I know are pretty smart with money and purchases but it takes all types.

13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #138 NE550, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Between the different options for buying or selling a car -- live auction, online auction, private, independent dealer, OEM/official dealer -- there are pluses and minuses with each option. There's no single best way, only a way that best suits one's personal needs and priorities based on cost, risk assessment, time and convenience, and experience.

Themaven likes this.
  14. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    I actually think 550’s are undervalued big time. I have a rare sebring blue/cuoio car which i am putting back to be perfect after years of non use. When perfect i will drive her and not make her into a lawn queen.
    What i don’t get is the obsession and premiums low mileage cars fetch. The less you use a classic the less reliable it becomes. Also the more the premium for low mileage cars the less people will use them so not to affect their value. It makes no sense.
    You buy the seller, the paperwork, the history of the car.
    I like cars from people who used them and love them.
    If its at auction/bat/private/dealer its almost irrelevant.
    I almost got caught overpaying for GTV 1750 a few months ago as i realised how good that one was.

Anyway great debate!!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and NE550 like this.
  15. Maranello993

Maranello993 Rookie

May 24, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo McCartney
    I think the other thing about BaT, and I'll admit, its even nice for me, is that they present all of the information up front (usually, even if I have to request a cold start video EVERY time for Maranellos). Otherwise, dealing with private sellers and dealers you have to be a private investigator to piece together the history, calling the shops and dealers they were said to be serviced at to get the full picture. Also, the pictures themselves are more plentiful and thorough. Realistically, it's difficult to travel right now so being stuck with sight unseen it's almost better shopping on BaT.

Texas Forever, SteveVT and TomTom74 like this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There is an interesting thread about reliability and mileage with a few heavyweight mechanics involved in the general Ferrari forum here. The prevailing view seems that lower mileage does mean a better, more reliable, less worn out car.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    that’s a good point, the same is true with the online auction site Collecting cars here. You get pictures of every detail. It’s so irritating when dealers just send you their “arty” photos or a walk around video taken with a 1940s pinhole camera which tells you nothing at all.

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Of course a manual 575 is more worth than a converted F1 in terms of collectibility. But on the other hand, for a driver, the F1 is more advanced and more practical. So actually a converted manual should be more interesting to quite a few by the fact that it CAN be put back to F1 shift at a later stage... In my (slightly subjective) perception, the 550 will always be the original and the perfect GT whatever whoever says. It is a more robust less complex car too and that will be a plus as parts start to be harder to find. After cruising around in the south of France and especially Monaco, it is always a prestene 550 or 550 Barchetta I see on the road or in the classic car showrooms. I have not yet seen a 575...

Il Tifoso and BarryK like this.
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Erik, I would love to hear about the first person who converts a manual 575 to a F1. That would be like converting an aftermarket Daytona spider back to a coupe. Easier just to buy a F1.

Interesting what you say about seeing more 550s. They did make more, by a ratio of approximately 3 to 2. I don’t really have a bias either way having bought both 550 and manual 575 more or less simultaneously. But I can tell you that a well specced manual 575 is everything a 550 is, plus maybe 20 percent. I do think the 550 looks a bit nicer but that’s subjective.

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    SteveVT and LVP488 like this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I should say one thing that I’m disappointed in.....from the end of the article I feel like I should reach out to the Author for a revision request and have it modified to read as such......”Anyone researching or owning a Maranello will find the Ferrarichat board (especially Terry!) an invaluable resource;

As always so grateful for Taz and everyone’s contributions here — I continue to learn so much.

SteveVT and LVP488 like this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Another 575 BaT auction ended "about right"? Last minute bidder was brand new with zero history on BaT.

Rosso Corso over "tan" SOLD $81,000 on 1/26/21
    +) 575 F1 Ser no. 129975
    +) 2002 MY with 9,982 miles
    +) Light options (shields) and now modulars (NO red fob)
    +) Appears a “lock and swap” belt service was recently done.
    +) Pretty clean/simple
    +) Scottsdale, AZ
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello-17/
    +) back before modulars: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/575-technical-thread.245394/page-30#post-142900780

24. Maranello993

Maranello993 Rookie

May 24, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo McCartney
    #149 Maranello993, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Did 575s commonly say "550 Maranello" with a different tire size in the door jamb? That one did?? I bid early but couldn't bring myself to keep going.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #150 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    @Maranello993 Angelo....WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?!?! If we were giving out gold stars here...today you get 2!!!! EAGLE EYES?!!!!

This is very bizzare you are right the passenger door tag it shows a different VIN. YIKES

It looks like 172xxx which isn't even a Maranello 550 or 575......

I would gladly take some education from Terry @tazandjan and the professors here on how that door tag was different?

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso likes this.