458 - My First Ferrari, My First Year... | FerrariChat

458 My First Ferrari, My First Year...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Woo hoo!!! This past December, I passed a significant milestone in my life, my first full year of owning a 2015 Ferrari 458 Italia. It has been a mind-blowing epic adventure from the get-go!

My passion for Ferrari started in the late seventies when I was eighteen years old and I moved out of my mums house into a flat. That flat happened to be located behind a Ferrari dealer.

Everyday, I would pass by the dealership drooling at all of the F-cars and telling myself that one day, I would have one in my stable. I had a lot of hair back then, but not much else. I was driving a Chevy that cost all of $1,200.00 that I bought used from a car rental company.

Whilst I set about building a successful career in sales, I never forgot about Ferrari and I maintained a keen interest through the years, especially in their racing program. I also became passionate about Mercedes-Benz and I purchased two in 1986. Thirty two years and many Benzes later, I still love SonderKlasse cars. They have been good to me through the years.

Fast forward to December, 2019 and I pulled the trigger on a 2015 458 Italia. I decided to drive it home from the dealer in an epic 878 mile, eighteen and a half hour drive. It was the first time I had ever driven a Ferrari (not including the short test drive a few minutes before I bought it) and I was instantly in love with all things Ferrari.

The ride home was epic and I could not believe all of the thumbs up I received from other drivers and how many took photos, as I made my way home from Atlanta. Every stop I made for petrol, I was surrounded by other people who stopped filling their tanks to walk over and talk cars. I even received tons of thumbs up from cops along the way and at petrol stations.

I have come to call this the “Ferrari Effect” and it continues to this day. My 458 has been flawless in its first year. I have logged just over 5,000 “s-miles” in it during my first year. There have been no mechanical issues whatsoever.

The insurance was half what I was paying for a 2018 SonderKlasse 560 4Matic and that was a pleasant surprise! It is such a special car that always exceeds my expectations. I particularly love the smooth flowing lines of the body. As an artist, shapes have always been important to me in my artwork. The smooth flowing lines of the 458 are intoxicating...

There are three cars that rank at the top of my dream car list... 1.) Racer X’s car from the Speed Racer cartoon of the late ‘60’s (yes, I know it was a cartoon car, but I was a wee lad at the time and that car was awesome to a six year old! 2.) The Jaguar E-Type, a car that Enzo himself was quoted as saying was “The most beautiful car in the world,” and 3.) The Ferrari 458 Italia.

Well, I got one of my dream cars... Not to rain on any other Ferrari models, as I love them all!!! My 458 experience has been epic in every way. All I have to do is just sit in it and hit the red button to feel instantly better about everything. It’s the same feeling I have when I drive to the summit of Mt. Haleakala on Maui. When I’m there, I know I’m in the presence of greatness.

I feel the same way when I’m in my 458. The Ferrari gods reached for the stars with the 458 and they achieved an epic performance experience, wrapped in a stunningly beautiful, timelessly elegant body.

Thanks to all of you for helping this rookie with my Ferrari questions. I truly appreciate and value your assistance and I look forward to many more years in my 458!!!

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ryan13, rob5819, johnr265 and 25 others like this.
  2. 997_T_u_r_b_o

997_T_u_r_b_o Rookie

Nov 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Beautiful! Congrats!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  3. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Very rare OEM wheels.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  4. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Awesome post. My lady and I met in October as you may know and I also love those hips and that attitude. So many intangibles! Nothing makes my heart race, my spine tingle, or my face smile like she does!

And a toast to all the people out there who get these sensations from whatever car they connect with.

Congratulations to you all and be safe out there! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rexcat458 likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    F-chat needs more threads like this. Glad to hear that realizing your Ferrari dream has been all you thought and more...T

Rexcat458 and Boomhauer like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats it is an incredible car! Now where are you really from because the way you talk you’re not from Texas! UK?

Rexcat458 likes this.
  7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My 458 ownership was memorable as yours seem to be! Excellent thread and congratulations on year 1!!

GT2goneF and Rexcat458 like this.
  8. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! I used to be in the Fire Department, so the RC colour is a nice touch! I also love those OZ rims...

Cheers!

9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks bruddah, they are awesome!

Cheers!

10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for your comments! I named her “Giada” after Giada DeLaurentiis the famous Italian celebrity chef. I never get tired of looking at her, or enjoying a spirited drive on the twisty bits.

Around these parts, you can see Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, BMW, Jaguar, Alpha Romeo, Aston Martin, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and others regularly.

One thing is constant, all of the other drivers look at my 458 at the stop lights and whilst driving. I also look at their cars! We all share a love of awesome cars, no matter the make or model. There are also lots of awesome restored classic cars running around....

Cheers!

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks bruddah! My next addition to the stable will be an 812 SF, or an F12 perhaps. Gotta love those V12’s! I’m never selling the 458 though, so all of my future F-cars will be additions...

Cheers!

Loxo likes this.
  12. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Rexcat458 likes this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Great Story and beauty of a car. Congrats! Well earned

Rexcat458 likes this.
  14. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Very nice story. The car looks amazing. They are so much fun. Enjoy!!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  15. MauriM

MauriM Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great story, thanks for sharing.
    Keep enjoying in best health!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  16. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Great Post! Thanks for sharing! Can't get enough of this!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  17. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, close but no cigar... My ancestral home is Blighty (also my wife’s), but I was born in Texas. In school, I frequently wrote in the QE, much to the dismay of my teachers!

For several years, I wrote a monthly article for an international magazine that was published in London and distributed in ~72 countries around the world. If I did not write my articles in the QE, my editor would change them to the QE... Guess which language I used? So I guess I’m both, an Ameri-Brit and a Brit-ican......

You will find that I also mix in Hawaiian at times. We have been to Maui ten times in recent years. We love Maui so much, we are looking for land to build a second estate in the mountains at around 3,000ft or higher.

We looked for an existing option, but none had a gourmet kitchen that met my expectations. I fancy myself a gourmet chef, so my requirements for kitchen equipment and workflow/layout are stratospheric to say the least.

Mahalo Nui Loa Bruddah,

Cheers!

GT2goneF and SVCalifornia like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you for such a wonderful post. Great story, and enjoyed reading about your experience so much. I wish you endless days of clear roads my friend. Drive in good health!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hmmmmmm, I didn’t know Ferrari offered red cars........

I did the same thing as you - almost obsessively looked for a low mileage car, which I also found and paid a premium for.

But I didn’t plan on driving it so much, now 14,000 miles later it’s practically a giveaway, lol .

Of well, been a good time (or two) while it’s lasting.

Enjoy it, drive it, take care of it, but don’t keep it on a pedestal. Run it right and it will reward you!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  21. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the kind words! I used to be in the Fire department (also certified as an EMT) and our engine and rescue truck were blood red...

RC feels like home to me, minus all of the burning buildings, cars and being in the “belly of the beast” regularly.

BTW, I love your colour brah, I almost got a similar colour, but it sold before I could get back to the dealership. Then “Giada,” my 458 popped up and I was in love, like it was the first time...

She is such an awesome ride and I’m always looking for reasons to take her out and hit the twisty bits. Best wishes to you and yours and your F-car.

Cheers!

22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much! We are indeed blessed to be able to own and experience these exceptional cars. I feel like I’m living a dream and I’m still awe struck every single time I go out into the car park and see my 458...

Cheers!

23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your post and your very kind words. I just can’t say enough about the Ferrari experience and driving my 458. I have made so many new friends here and through FCA.

We are all from different places, but we are united in our passion for the awesome Ferrari cars we get to drive.

Cheers!

paulchua likes this.
  24. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! They are indeed a stack of fun and awesomeness to drive!

Cheers!

25. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your comments! I’ve never had a car that I look for reasons to take it out for a spin. This is an incredible car!!!

Cheers!