Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 186 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Stroll haters don't apply logic in their comments.
    They are like the Hamilton haters or the Mercedes critics; wait, they are in fact the same bunch !!!

Nuvolari and tifosi12 like this.
  2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Racecraft has been explained several time on this forum. Nuvolari did it again on post #4619.

I suggest you goggle it.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    For me his race craft, from what I see, is that he can really move in a car quite fast when is alone. On raceday I see him putting in decent laps typically having him running top 10. When he encounters traffic or passing he looks lackluster compared to the others in the field. It sucks because you can see he has some potential to become substantially better he just isn't maturing in the car as quickly as others. He stills knows how to whip the car around but I would love to see him take what he can do and push into a regular top 6 for example.

Keep in mind im a keyboard warrior with little track time under my belt but do understand how much skill it takes to move a car that quick.

For those unaware of Nuvolari he is not exactly a "gentlemen club" racer. This was from his race win in Toronto over a decade ago where he placed on the top spot. This was a touring car series race like SPEED GT/TransAm was.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

chinaleeexports, LVP488 and tifosi12 like this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow thank you for the great memory. That was an exceptional race and it had a little of everything in it. A blown engine in qualifying had us start at the back of an almost 60 car field and the newspapers wrote that winning from there would be impossible. I spent the morning practice driving off line everywhere feeling for the available grip knowing that with the number of cars I had to overtake that I would spend no time on the racing line. On that day I left nothing on the table and ran out of my skin driving odd lines and passing the field with total abandon. By the drop of the checkered flag we won the biggest race of the year and Thomas was there to capture this moment. In the photo is my brother in tears, my crew chief in disbelief, and my sponsor with his son who owned a local business and got us the money to make it happen. He invited a ton of guests and I was given a hero's welcome. I was a very special moment that made up for a lot of really hard times. What a race :)

chinaleeexports, greg328, Bas and 2 others like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm fully aware what race craft means, it's quite clear that Tif12 hasn't a clue.

Race craft is something that Stroll lacks significantly. He's got very little awareness of cars surrounding him. He rarely makes an overtake other than the first lap or an easy DRS pass. His defending is questionable to say the least.

Stroll is nothing more than a journey man.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Stroll is a good driver. Period

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You own a racing team. Would you hire him? Ignore the sponsorship money for a moment.

Stroll is a driver.

His qualifying performance is average.
    His racing is just below average.
    His wheel-to-wheel capabilities are well below average.

Period.

sammysaber likes this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Goggle is a search engine on the interweb Bas. Do a search for the term "race craft", the results are mind boogling.

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would hire him rather than some also-ran like Giovinazzi, Kvyat, Ocon, Grosjean, who have nothing to show after several years in F1.

What has Hulkenberg achieved after many years? Yet some rave about him on this forum !

tifosi12 likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    racecraft (uncountable)

1. The total of a racer's skill (craft) along dimensions including: practicing, qualifying, starts, beginning, mid-race and end-race pace, passing, wear equipment usage, and pit strategy.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A lot less than Lance in twice the amount of races.

greg328 likes this.
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very cool. My battles were mostly in go karts. It's fun when you win against the odds, especially when coming from the back of the grid.

Nuvolari likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What is this internet you speak off? o_O

You would say that, wouldn't you. Can't afford to lose face now!

Regarding Hulkenberg...He never was given a car that's good to be a regular podium contender, and bad luck played his part too. And an unfortunate mistake. Hulkenberg was shown to beat Stroll after just 1 race in the same car as Stroll.

Well done William, you have located the search function. And what, pray tell, of all these skills, has Stroll demonstrated he's good at?

I've gone through the trouble for you to find the definition of ''hipster'' for you, see below.

hipster
    Hipsters are people that try too hard to be different (and genuinely do think that they're being different), by rejecting anything they deem to be too popular.
    Ironically, so many other people also try too hard to be different that they all wind up being the exact same, so hipsters aren't actually different at all, they're just people that are snobbier and more annoying about their taste in "alternative" things, which are all popular now thanks to the other hipsters.
    Hipsters pride themselves on liking things that no one else likes, and normally only really like them because they think no one else likes them and that they're being unique. This is being delusional because all the other hipsters also like the same things.

Hipster: "I love Mumford and Sons because they're so different to popular music nowadays."
    A Million Other Hipsters: "I love Mumford and Sons because they're so different to popular music nowadays."
    Mumford and Sons consequently become a popular band because of their large hipster following of people who think they're being different for listening to them.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I largely agree with you. Stroll now compared to Stroll in his first 2 years is vastly different. But that doesn't make him a good driver or his race craft note worthy. His race craft is nothing special. He is in F1 and we must compare him to F1 standards. Is he the worst in F1? No. But I'd rank him lower end of the mid field at best.

I do agree that in the wet he's pretty damn handy.

jpalmito likes this.
  15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Bas I think you are coming around:D

tifosi12 likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, not really. I've said numerous times in this thread that Stroll has indeed improved, but he's nothing special. Credit where it's due, he has evolved from ''doesn't belong in F1'' to ''pay driver that's not completely useless'' (if that makes sense:D).

stavura, fil, sammysaber and 2 others like this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    fil, sammysaber and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Oh ya you're coming around! Hahah sorry had to jab.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D:D:D

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You can't deal with facts, so you turn to personal attack.

See if I am bothered. :rolleyes:

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How exactly?

In Silverstone Lance beat Hulkenberg. At Nuerburgring Lance didn't start because of Covid.

The first race was the one at Silverstone where he couldn't start, because he had an engine failure. So after one race was the second British GP where Lance beat him.

william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

"I know the truth, don't bother me with facts" says the Jaski.

tifosi12 likes this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #4648 jgonzalesm6, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Well, yes, Lance beat Hulk in the 70th Anniversary race.

Hulk only had a few days in the car after being out of an F1 car for 243 days or 8 months.

Hulk out qualified Lance at.the 70th Anniversary.

During the race, Hulk led most of the race until lap 45(???) where Hulk had to pit due to.tire vibrations. Stroll NEVER threatened Hulk during the race.

When it.comes to team-mates, Lance hardly ever races against them.

As you said in a previous post, Lance has a "Laissez Faire" attitude. He waits for the race to come to.him...which it rarely has...but to me that attitude is very different from let's say Max, Lecletc, Norris, Ricciardo, Gasly and Perez. These individuals RACE their cars.

If Lance holds that attitude throughout his career, he won't beat his team-mates let alone the other drivers on the grid that RACE their cars....unless Lances CAR is faster....which we all know it's the car and not Lance.

That's the difference some of us see in.Lance when compared to other drivers on the grid I just mentioned.

He's at best, a mid-field driver....and I say that pessimistically.

Yes he's young still but isn't as hungry as other racers in his age group nor is his race-craft like others in his age group let alone more experienced racers.

Does Lance have time and money on his side to advance....absolutely....but Lance is taking his time and at his own pace....but whatever.

stavura, Picchu88, Bas and 4 others like this.
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you.

<squelch>

william likes this.
  25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran