1999 f355 bypass valve | FerrariChat

1999 f355 bypass valve

Discussion in '348/355' started by margarita, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Hello guys i have 99 f355 i have a cuestion ,in orden to leave open the exhaust bypass valve i just have to push down the clip to opened and wire that? Or i have to disconet the vacum Hose Or do something alse? Thank you

2. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    The bypass valve is a butterfly style valve, it rotates 90 degrees to fully open and is actuated by vacuum. The OEM bypass valve is normally closed and require a vacuum source to open, you’d have to either:
    A: have a constant vacuum source
    B: remove the bypass valve assembly, remove the lever arm, weld the metal plate in place
    C: remove the butterfly valve inside the assembly
    D: get a capristo valve which is normally open, it uses a different actuator that works in reverse. Open at low vacuum, closes at mid vacuum, open at high vacuum

Picture of the capristo attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don’t know why you’d want to do this, but good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    There are two more options,
    1. You can simply use a copper wire to hold the valve in the open position externally.
    2. Buy a capristo or Forza exhaust valve controller.
    I have the capristo one on my car, it allows me to either leave the valve open all the time, or leave it in the factory setup
    I absolutely love it

4. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Thank you very much guys,yes i just install Tubi evolución and in low RPM sounds same as original and i leave in citi so i need low RPM sound to enjoy my short rides

5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    But if i put the Cooper wire i dont have to disconet any vacum hose?

6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No. I did this for a while, basically loop the copper wire from the actuator arm up to the bracket when the valve is in the open position.
    Do note, you will get a check engine light if you have a thermocoupler after the bypass. You can avoid this just by removing that thermocoupler and zip tieing it out of the way and capping the hole

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You should be able to do this relatively easy by re-routing the vacuum tubes near the bypass solenoid (as long as they are in good condition). You may need a "T" piece to join up the tubes.

I've been told that manually manipulating the linkages on vacuum operated valves can damage the diaphragm in the vacuum capsule if you go beyond its normal range. You should be ok if the valve is currently set up properly.

Some folks have had varying degrees of success with the Check Engine Light after doing this modification.

8. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Thank you so much

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you decided to use vacuum (instead of lockwire on your valve)....

Just attach pipe 35 to pipe 11 or to the "T" piece directly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Carmellini, WATSON and fboutlaw like this.
  10. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Hello guys thank you for the adrvices,i Manage to live open the valve ,the car sounds amazing in low RPM ,

Qavion likes this.