F8 or STO? | Page 51 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hence, why my car is still in the shop. Hopefully in 6 weeks or so.

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Ah....makes sense now. Hopefully now they’ll now offer the blue and provide the accents per the reveal. Then again, it’ll probably look great in just about any color. Should have a bit more insight next weekend.

I haven’t been keeping close tabs, but appears there are about 4 or 5 of us on the STO list......

Shack and SLDriver like this.
  3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    It should be offered. My car is arriving in July and I had full access to AdP options/paints.

wthensler likes this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
  5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Matte white with blue looks surprisingly good

May the Horse be with you

wthensler likes this.
  6. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't know man. If you are familiar with AMG depreciation, I have given them many gifts over the past 20 years with how many I have purchased from them. My opinion is that it won't hold like the SLS BS.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The STO makes everything else look mundane and boring. Going to be very interesting some of the configs people are coming up with.

wthensler and Art138 like this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Can’t wait to see how some of these come out. As far as depreciation - pay your money and take your chances.

Can always bet it on Lucky in the 7th, or try tepid bond returns with inflation on the horizon.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sadly many are going to copy the launch spec. Not that the launch spec isn’t good looking, it’s just not imaginative or original to copy it.

GT2goneF, Shack and Boomhauer like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Valid point, and so far I’m guilty even though I haven’t formally spec’d yet. There are so many colors available through Ad Personam one can literally go crazy.

I saved your build with the matte dark grey and green striping (remember?), just not sure it’s a good Florida color. And the reveal blue is spectacular. Further exacerbating the situation, I live in Gator country. Coaches Dan Mullen and Steve Spurrier are my neighbors, lol!

So while I agree it’s not imaginative, it is a spectacular color combo. It’s interesting how many colors look great on the Lambo (e.g., green) that you wouldn’t dare put on a Ferrari.

My buddy in Orlando who’s number 1 for a car is also getting a similar build, though at the time he ordered AdP wasn’t available and ended up with red accents..........

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh don’t get me wrong- I don’t begrudge anyone that chooses that color- I was just commenting that I don’t think you are going to see a bunch of different color combinations. Many will copy the launch spec which is good looking for sure, but I don’t think there will be a variety of colors out there in the STO.

GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No offense taken, and I agree. Very few cars anyway (from what we’re being told), but with my luck they’ll all be here in FL and the well-to-do Floridians (like the founder of Gatorade) will be tooling around town with them, lol!

A bigger looming issue is the GPF, which has already made its way to the Asian market in the V10 Lambo. And I’m getting a 2022.....

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Having such a bold and distinctive color combination must suit one's personality since the attention the car will attract will be overwhelming. If you find the base color highly appealing, and it is a Florida color since it is close to sky blue, toning it down with all the contrast pieces being high gloss CF would be stunning and perhaps more individualized.

14. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I was at the dealer the other day and they told me that the level of personification with the ad personum choices is staggering. I am planning to wait until I see the car in the paint to make my decision. I am also interested to see what the performance differences are on the car. I’ve heard some comments that there is no increase in horsepower vs the standard EVO which is not the end of the world, but I would like to know what is actually different apart from the stunning aesthetic differences both inside and outside. Anyone know if this will be a limited production car, or will they make as many as they can sell?

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it was stated that it will be limited by production time. Meaning it’s a 1 y tee at run- they will produce what they can in that one year. Someone please correct me if my information is off.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is a certainty that the STO will have exactly the same 631 HP as the EVO AWD. Since the STO is RWD, it will have 29 extra HP compared to the EVO RWD.

17. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thanks guys. I am still pondering the color choices and seeing shmee’s video about what he plans to do with his spec kinda widened my perspective. I actually like his videos and general enthusiasm and cheerful nature but I suspect that he maybe slightly color blind. Lol. The lambos can wear a lot of colors, as mentioned earlier, that I wouldn’t dream of putting on a Ferrari but at some point there is a thin line between adding to the exotic flavor and ending up with a garish spectacle. I’m going to have some fun with the configurator.

ScrappyB likes this.
  18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hope you're patient.....the configurator ain't the fastest nor is it easiest. And sometimes you can't go backwards. I gave up.......

19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    ..........oh jeez.....love the white and the accents..............and I thought this was gonna be fun............

GT2goneF likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think you need a little more contrast. I love the yellow but find a complimentary color in there. Same with the blue. Blue and orange- yellow and geeen. Just spitballing but this car needs contrast.

Condor Man likes this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Love that dark blue spec

Condor Man likes this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    GPF Update:

Word is Huracans (all models) imported to China are now being fitted with GPFs:

Reason is this:
    https://360.lubrizol.com/2019/No-Time-to-Spare-China-6-is-Here-Now

Summary:
    Some local governments within China are requiring early adoption of China6b (2023 is national implementation within China) which requires all combustion motors to have GPF. This is not entirely the same requirements as Euro 6d. So it appears any Huracan made for China market will have GPFs regardless.

more:

https://cleers.org/wp-content/uploads/formidable/3/2020CLEERS_Taylor_Web.pdf

The Huracan does have the dual combustion chambers to offset "start up" emissions which is mostly what GPFs are for because once the engine is running it is more efficient at combusting the particulates.

https://www.lamborghinidallas.com/lamborghini-huracan-lp-610-4--the-start-of-a-new-legend.htm

this:
    One groundbreaking innovation of the V10 is the dual fuel injection, known as "Iniezione Diretta Stratificata". On start-up and under higher loads and revs, a common-rail system injects fuel at a pressure of up to 180 bar directly into the combustion chambers. This results in intense swirl, which has the effect of cooling the cylinder walls and permits a higher compression ratio of 12.7:1. At lower loads, fuel is injected indirectly into the manifold, which reduces fuel consumption and particulate emissions. At medium loads and revs, both injection systems work together. The V10 already complies with the EU6 norm.

and
    https://www.carthrottle.com/post/lamborghini-huracan-evo-rwd-review-the-best-modern-lambo/

By combining both setups, a car can use port when appropriate (for instance at lower loads), direct when it needs to, or in some cases a bit of both. Lamborghini has used this method to help the Huracan Evo comply with Euro 6d Temp emissions regulations (sorry, this isn’t getting any more interesting, but we’re nearly there), without the need of fitting a gasoline particulate filter.

But, at present, best I can tell, for the Huracan, rest of world does not require GPFs, not even Europe, so, hopefully non-China markets will receive GPF-free Huracans;

Image below is from China showing the GPFs. It appears the GPF devices can easily be separated (between headers and catalyst) so that should follow that the cars made for non-China markets do not have GPF or 'dummy' GPF devices...fingers crossed!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF, Fastmd, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    A sad attempt at using my own ad personam configurator (aka markup function on my iPad).... but I think the colour combination has potential.

wthensler and Thecadster like this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Since everyone is talking STO specs, I will detail my experience so far. To say that I am struggling, grossly understates my current challenge. I have until the end of Feb to punch my order if I want the car by Sept, and I am not even close to establishing a clear front runner. I continue to bounce from one idea to the next. I have never struggled like this. Granted, I don’t have much prior experience (Performante, 812, and 765LT in that order), every prior spec came rather quickly. It should be mentioned, that for the most part, my specs have always been rather conservative, and I think the STO calls for more flair. Perhaps, therein lies my challenge. I would love to crowdsource some ideas and opinions. I would also like to see what others are doing.

My limitations are that I do not want any overlap in colors from what I already have on cars. My Performante is Rosso Mars, 812 is Grigio Silverstone, 2005 GT is White with Blue Stripes, 2017 Viper ACR is TA Orange, and my forthcoming 765LT is Chicane Effect. Here’s some pics:

And here’s a picture of an identical 765LT:

And here are all the exterior colors I am bouncing between:

Obviously, the STO present tremendous opportunities for individualization, almost too many. Any number of different stripes and accent colors are available. There are going to be cohesive, brilliant specs, and then there are going be specs that completely miss the runway. I want something unique, but I wonder if I have the balls to pull it off. Last point, because it’s inspired directly from its race car cousin, a spec that pays some homage to a race inspired livery might make sense too.

GT2goneF, Coincid and Gh21631 like this.