Cambelt Tensioner Bearing | FerrariChat

Cambelt Tensioner Bearing

Discussion in '308/328' started by millsj, Mar 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am in the middle of replacing the timing belts on my 328. Everyone says to replace the tensioner bearings with the Hill Engineering ones when you do this job. The prior owner installed the Hill Engineering bearings when he did the belts about 6 years ago. I would estimate that the car has been driven approximately 5k miles since they were installed. Should I replace them again at this point. I don't mind replacing them, but I don't want to spend money needlessly.

Should I also be looking at replacing the tensioner bearings on the water pump and alternator? I haven't inspected them closely, but they did make a little noise when spinning them by hand.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Use the old tbelt tensioner bearings.
    As for the other bearings, if they funny noise at all, replace. Hard to tell whether the noise is funny, or not.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Also check the cam drive pulley bearings.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    How do you actually check the cam drive pulley bearings?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I would totally re-use the tensioner bearings especially the Hill Engineering ones. As for the water pump and alternator, the alternator should spin perfectly smoothly and anything less requires a re-build. The water pump can be a little trickier because the seal can make it turn a little less than smooth while still being perfectly ok. I would check the water pump for play in and out and up and down along the shaft. If it feels pretty tight and does not leak, leave it alone.

As for the cam drive pulley bearings I do not know of a procedure for checking those other than listening to them with a scope while the engine is running.

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Imho the cam drive bearings are low cost items. While you're at them just pull the outter bearings. Not sure what year your 328 is but on my 1982 308 they were fairly easy with the draper puller.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, outer bearing. Check the seals. If the are leaking replace the bearing.

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I would not change the Hill bearings unless they do not turn evenly or are oozing grease. Last time I changed timing belts which was several months ago I replaced the SKF cam tensioner bearings that had been in use since 1996 and many miles ago with Hill bearings. You might also check the water pump tensioner bearings. I had my water pump freeze up last summer. Had it rebuilt and while at it I noticed some unevenness in one of the pump's tensioner bearings. Replaced them. I plan on running my Hill cam tensioner bearings for at least 10 years.

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Since the cam bearings are bathed in oil, would they not last for a very long time, especially if the oil changes are frequent as is usually the case with these cars? If the seal leaks, would not just replacing the seal make sense? Sometimes the original item quality far surpasses new replacements, just wondering who actually has had a cam bearing fail.

10. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Inner cam drive bearings are bathed in oil, outer cam bearings are not.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The early V8s had both cam drive bearings bathed in the engine oil (which is a lubrication plus), but the design layout wasn't the greatest (the severe "overhung'" geometry put a lot of load on the outer bearing and any runout in the outer bearing gets magnified a lot at the sprocket). Circa 1978, F changed the design to swap the locations of the seal and the outer bearing (so the outer bearing is a sealed bearing lubricated with grease, and you have to remove/destroy the outer bearing just to get to the seal). The early cars have a lot more problem with the outer bearing failing (or the runout at the sprocket getting so extreme as to risk mishandling the belt) so replacing the outer bearing on the early design more frequently is prudent IMO.

Nuvolari likes this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I replaced the bearings in my v belt tensioner and one thing to note is that the tensioner pulley uses 2 sealed bearings that are pressed in from either side. What you can't see when the bearings are in is that there is a circlip that fits into a groove in the middle of where the bearings are. This circlip acts as a stop for the bearings as they are pressed in. For this reason you just cannot press the pair of bearings 'through' the pulley and they need to be removed one at a time pulling each bearing out.

13. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the responses. Just for clarification, the car is a 1986.

The alternator appears to spin freely, so that one should be fine. My main concern was the tensioners on the water pump, alternator and compressor. At least one of them sounded/felt a little rough when I pulled it off and spun the bearing. It didn't spin as freely as I imagine it should, but I want to go back in inspect them more closely.

I have already sent the water pump off to the Flying Dutchman to be rebuilt, so that one will be addressed. It was slowly dripping coolant from one of the weep holes.

I need to do some more reading on the cam belt bearing. I don't know enough about that one to even ask an intelligent question. Just when I thought I had all my basis covered, you guys mention something new to investigate. :)

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Great info on the cam bearings, thanks.

16. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    On my 1980 308 there was also a washer between the water pump tensioner bearings.the same thickness as the circlip, I suppose to press the inner races together to keep them stationary. If this is a common washer to your car don't lose it, as far as washers it's a pricey one.

Nuvolari likes this.
  17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    As others have said, the Hill tensioner bearings should be good for a lot more miles. The viton seals and better grease don't degrade as quickly at these high temperatures.

To check your cam drive bearings, try moving them upd/down, side to side, in and out. The QVs and 328s have bigger outer bearings than the 2V motors (44OD x 14W vs. 40OD x12W) so they tend to last a lot longer. The early ones were marginal at best.

cheers, derek

18. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the response. I will probably see if the cam drive bearings have any play in them and go from there. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything feels good and I will just move on.

19. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    FWIW I just replaced some Hill's bearings after about 11K miles & 7 years. They seem fine to me but I replaced them because it should be another 3 years at least before the next belt change & by then the bearings would be 10 years old. Given the cost of the things it seemed sensible to just refresh them.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I wouldn't bother replacing a Hill bearing any more than I would replace a wheel bearing periodically. If it's smooth, it's ok.

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    sorry to revive this but if bearings even SKF only need to be replaced every other belt change, why does everyone change belts AND bearings every 3 years? I'm at 7 year for belts and they still look good according to mecchanic

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Who's everyone? ;) 3 years was the thinking at one point quite a while ago, lately it seems consensus is closer to 5 - 7 years for belts and bearings. I did both belts and bearings in 2014 shortly after buying my 84 QV, then just replaced them 2 months ago while I was completing some other work, so a 6 year interval.

If you're at 7 years - it doesn't matter in the slightest what the belts look like, replace them now. Bearings - if Hill bearings, your call. SKF - change them to Hill.

23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    No doubt I’m changing this year and bearings to know I have Hill. I still three years and many opt for five but haven’t read many who has gone longer

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not really low cost on a 328. Different bearings and a non standard propriatary size.

Very seldom see an issue with them.

moysiuan and waymar like this.
  25. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello John,
    You spin the bearing with your hand once the belt is off (the aluminum block magnifies the sound). If you notice any noise or play, replace. Keep in mind that these rollers have two thrust bearings inside (one facing in and one facing out), just like a wheel bearing.

John

moysiuan likes this.