Garage Lift Install Tucson | FerrariChat

Garage Lift Install Tucson

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Caphill, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    We recently moved to Tucson, and while our garage is large, it just isn't large enough. I am hoping to have some care storage lifts installed, but the logistics look a bit daunting. Can anyone recommend a local installer? This is definitely something I don't want to mess up!

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would think that the supplier of the lift has an installer they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Vendors who sell lifts either have qualified installers or can recommend them.
    Be sure to get a good installation crew. I had a direct lift installed up in Prescott 6 years ago. The 2 guys that came up to put it together were sloppy, misaligned pulleys, left bolts loose.... just awful.

Caphill likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're handy and have at least one friend (optional), you can install the lift yourself. It's actually easier than it looks. I installed one of the heaviest possible lifts (2500 lbs) myself. The key to the installation of a lift is having the right equipment to stand up and drill the holes for the bolts. I used a 2 ton engine hoist and a rotary hammer to successfully install my lift. Bonus: I spent a lot of time aligning the lift to the exact position I wanted. Some installers would likely be a lot less careful.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caphill likes this.
  5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just make sure you don't have a post tension slab as that's very common in Tucson and you shouldn't drill into them. I've seen it done, but I'm not sure the installers would recommend it.

6. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I appreciate the suggestions. I’m not even sure what brand to go with at the moment. I know I want a four post lift that doesn’t need to be bolted to the floor. I have no idea what kind of slab we have, so better not mess with it. The bendpak hd-9 looks reasonable, but they all kind of look the same to me. I’ll give them a call and see if they have installers in our area.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A post tension slab should have a stamp in the garage somewhere stating that's what it is and not to drill into it, but since you don't plan on drilling it shouldn't be an issue. If you can't find a stamp just in case you want to drill, then you are probably okay. Most of those slabs are flat for the entire property. If you have varying levels of concrete in your garage and inside the home then it's probably not post tension, but it should be stamped.

Here is example image of the stamp:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caphill likes this.
  8. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    That was very helpful. I looked all around and there is no stamp. There are also three different pours of cement. The slab, the stem wall, and a raised area for the walkway to the house. I think I probably could anchor the lift or lifts in now. Thank you for the excellent advice.