308 Radiator Top Coolant Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

308 Radiator Top Coolant Hose Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by jsumnertx, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Hey all,

I'm getting a bit of deposits on the outside of the radiator where the hose connects to the top left. I do notice that when the car gets warm in traffic (creeps above 195 on 100 degree Texas days) I get just a whiff of coolant smell. The hose seems like it could be longer and isn't all the way on the radiator tube. Is that what is going on?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Should this hose be replaced to fit better? If so, is there a writeup you'd recommend on replacing this hose? (part number 102956 - #21 on page 52 of the parts manual).

https://www.awitalian.com/product/coolant-hose-upper-radiator-40mm-id-102956.html/

How's the degree of difficulty on this?

2. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    From the looks of the photo just changing the hose won't solve your issue. The corner of the radiator looks corroded

Saabguy, waymar, thorn and 1 other person like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    That hose is "on" enough to seal, if the hose and lip are in good condition. If your coolant hoses are original, then they've lived a good life and are overdue for replacement anyway (ALL of them).

If the hose interior has started to degrade under the clamp, it could be the source of a slight leak when the coolant gets hot and under pressure. But, without seeing in person, I'd suspect that the seepage may be from the corner of the radiator itself - I can imagine seeing a very small crack at the top of the neck of that radiator pipe, where the yellow deposits are visible.

Best process would be new hose and clamps, clean up that corner of the rad, and see if that stops the seepage. If it doesn't, then your radiator may have expired.

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Remove the hose and check for any cracks on the radiator or connection pipe. Replace the hose for certain.

5. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Looks more like a bad solder joint.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    + 1 i agree with bad joint and understand if you play with it when trying to remove hose you may make it worse ..so be prepared

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It might not be the original stock hose or stock replacement hose (but rather something cut from a section of an Auto Parts Store that sort of worked) -- just a thought (as people usually rightly freak out over F hose part prices ;))...

9. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Gates 20267

ferrariowner likes this.
  10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Wash the area with water thoroughly. Tighten the hose clamp, the hose takes a set over time and the connection can leak. Drive a bit, then check to see if there is any sign of new coolant. You might get away with just tightening things up.

The hose is on far enough, there is a ridged collar on the pipe, and the clamp sits just behind the collar, so it is does not need to be pushed on more.

Scuderia Rampante has hose kits, with a modern silicon compound that you might want to check out. The OEM hoses would also be fine, but are more rigid and bit harder to work with.

There does appear to be quite an area of corrosion, but it could be external from the coolant leaking from the hose over time.

11. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Just checked my service records. Jogged my memory that the radiator was repaired ("resealed") in 2010. My mechanic had it outsourced at the time. Could be that the repair has sprung a leak. Given that, good call that replacing the hose might split things further. I'll try washing the area and see if I can find the repair location

Saabguy and flash32 like this.
  12. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I would recommend a thorough cleaning of the area and then a test drive to see where the leak actually is. A radiator seam issue could be subtle enough to not be obvious with everything clean and not under pressure.
    I've seen it on other cars countless times. The more diagnosis you can do before you take it apart the better.
    Just one guy's opinion,
    Tom

13. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Cleaned up the area with water and a metal bristle detailing brush. There was still a whitish deposit remaining. Tried full strength white vinegar on it and it didn’t do much. Unless there’s another idea for cleaning the area, I’ll move on to getting the engine warm and coolant flowing and see if I can find the leak
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like solder, probably from a prior repair, it looks pretty good. The white deposits are lead oxide, which means lead solder. I suspect you will have found the hose clamp just needed tightening.

If you have used a HOAT antifreeze (any colour other than the old formula Green antifreeze) and if the repair was indeed done with lead solder, the lead can degrade with the newer acid technology antifreezes. Our old brass radiators would have had lead solder used in their construction.

Best to use the old style green antifreezes that are compatible with our old style brass radiators.

15. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Got back to the project today. Inspected the area before the drive and it was damp on the lip and the car hadn't run in nearly 2 weeks. Took it for a short spin to get it warm and there wasn't much more dampness but there was a slight antifreeze smell. Assuming a pinhole leak there?

So, pull the radiator and have it re-brazed? It's already been fixed once. Is a re-core a better move?
    Is there a radiator shop in Austin, TX anyone would recommend?

On the removal side:
    My A/C is full of R-134. I don't have any refrigerant recovery equipment and never done that part before. How bad is that?

Trying to decide how in over my head I want to get but this does seem like an interesting project.