2009-2011 versus 2012+ California DCT transmission reliability | FerrariChat

2009-2011 versus 2012+ California DCT transmission reliability

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by artsd, Jan 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I started shopping for 2009-2012 California recently. Trying to stay around $90k all in so probably won't be looking at more expensive 2013-2014 Cali 30 models.

I know 2012 got an additional cooler that helps with heat related failures. I don't know if all 2012 had the cooler or if it was a mid-model-year update.

If you were shopping early Calis, would you be extra concerned with 2009-2011 versus 2012+?
    Is it worth it to only look at 2012+?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Given the circumstantial evidence here, I would indeed focus on 2012+.
    I might even stretch or wait until 2013s get into your target area.
    Good luck...T

artsd likes this.
  3. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    As a rule of thumb, my wife and I steer clear of the first couple of production years of any car model. There are always at least a few bugs that need to be worked out. We chose a 2013 California because it was the "second generation" so to speak of the California but still had a naturally aspirated engine. Ours also has the Handling Speciale package. It seems many people suggest buying the latest model year you can afford. Bear in mind that only about 3000 cars were produced in 2013 and 2014 run. They are the California 30's: 30 Kg. less weight and 30 more horsepower.

MarylandGuy, artsd and tomc like this.
  4. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’ve had a 2013 for fifteen months now. The ‘12 thru ‘14 model’s gearbox was supposed to be significantly more reliable, but in the first two years after its production mine had two complete gearbox changes. It hasn’t had any issues since then, and only had 14k on the odometer, so I bought it from a SoCal dealership who had done all the required service on it for those trouble free years. It was speced out to the max and I love the car. Best of luck to you.

artsd likes this.
  5. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. For what it's worth, I asked an acquaintance of mine who is a fairly well known Ferrari tech (he used to be active on these boards years ago) and he recommended 2013+ although he isn't a huge Cali fan to begin with. It is strange to me that a Getrag DCT used in several Ferraris and with likely similar design used in other makes suffers from the problems it does. Of course that could also be because people with problems of any kind are usually more vocal than those that don't have problems (not car specific behavior).

If I knew for certain than the transmission problem could be handled for $10k or less (I've seen $7k mentioned more than once for the position sensor rebuild) then it wouldn't be so bad. But there is that fear in the back of my mind of it being a $30k or $40k issue. For that reason I am cooling on the notion of getting a Cali at this time. :( Will probably just look for Porsche 991.1 PDK. Of course PDKs can have problems too but the shear number of 911s manufactured means that the problem is cheaper to solve.

6. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The rebuild kit is a major hurdle now because Ferrari has stopped producing them. As a result, very few service facilities will work on those gearboxes, so replacement becomes the most likely course of action in the event of any type of failure, even a small part like the speed sensor.

artsd likes this.
  7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sad to hear that, Bill.:(

8. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    No, I’m good. Those problems were taken care of long before I bought the car.

9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, sad to hear in general. We have a 2013 and are hoping that nothing goes wrong with the DCT. It seemed that rebuilds were possible but if you heard something to the contrary that is troubling. However, there are no guarantees! We will do regular maintenance and hope for the best!

Husker and artsd like this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think the transmission is structurally sound. The issue seems to be the sensors within the DCT and specially the plastic ties that keep them in place degrading, leading to failure. At least that's my read from F-chat.

911 is a great car too. I have a 997.2S and I love it. Such a different driving experience from the Cali...T

SLViper1 and artsd like this.
  11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This is really eye-opening about the California. Hard to believe that a relatively new Ferrari wouldn’t be covered by the factory for such a potentially expensive repair.

12. blu mirabeau cali

Oct 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lomax
  13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Terrible. I can't recall seeing one grenade before...T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow, wish I could un-see that.

16. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Really sorry to hear this; has your car a full Ferrari service record ? If so surely worth a goodwill claim through your dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Archiebald

Archiebald Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Stuart Meek
    There I was looking at Cali’s in my budget and now thinking I’ll double back for a 430. The Cali was the perfect solution for me with two younger children

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    FWIW, before I bought my last car I had a discussion with my indy mechanic of 7 years, who has extensive experience with Ferrari & Lamborghini, about a California......his recommendation was to limit my purchase to a T or newer.

But then I went and fell in love with a hardcore manual transmission icon, so that was that.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I'm not sure who told you this information, but I can 100% assure you and others that it is not the case. I have a DCT repair in the shop right now, parts on the bench, and repairs are about to commence.

There are however different levels of repairs possible, but each level is its own repair, with some overlap. If the case itself is damaged, then yes, you may have to replace the entire unit. Or, if you need to replace 3 or more internal components then you may just replace the whole unit, each situation is different.

In the end all of these parts are still available as of today.

If it fails under the initial 3 year warranty it is covered
    If it fails under the 4th & 5th year warranty its covered
    If it fails under New Power Warranty its covered
    If it fails under Main Power Warranty its covered
    If it fails under Power Warranty... its covered

If it hasn't been maintained at a Dealership, no service records available, and its on the 3rd owner.. yeah, probably not covered.

WOW! Never seen that before... are you sure they didnt slip a TR Diff in your California on accident!
    I'm sorry that happened.
    I'm very interested in what they confirmed as the actual cause of failure was/is ? Did they tell you?

While I tend to agree, Cali T over California, you may be trading 1 concern for another.
    ( DCT Gearbox issue for engine oil leaks )

S

Avia11 likes this.
  20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So what would be the worst case DCT failure expense? And is this common among the model, similar to valve guide issues were with the 355, or is it relatively uncommon?

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Worse case, entire DCT replacement, over $40k range. Repairs can be low teens to high $30's all depending on the actual failure. In my experience.

Define common, so far only 1 in 2021, in 2020 counting cars that have come to us from all over the US, eight that I can remember. One of which was in a 488 Challenge car.

Now, TTV8 engine oil leaks, I would venture to say more are leaking that are not leaking...

S

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm thinking any F-car can toss up a four-figure repair bill.
    T

Archiebald and SAFE4NOW like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Steve - sensor issue on the DCT? Have you ever seen a mechanical failure on a Cali transmission like the one in post # 12? Thanks...T

24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Um, any Ferrari can throw up a 5 figure repair bill... < wink >

S

25. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    never have I ever... that kind of failure would have stored codes for days, storing errors and faults leading up to failure.
    That's why I asked, what was the owner told the cause of failure was...

S

tomc likes this.