430 - Gt3 vs Scuderia | Page 7 | FerrariChat

430 Gt3 vs Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by redhammer, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Now the 991.1 GT3 RS also has 500 Hp just like the SCUD, or slightly less, is of a similar weight, so what makes the 991.1 GT3 RS soooo much faster on a track than a SCUD, lets discuss what Ferrari should have actually done the road racing SCUD but failed to do ?

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It did reduce weight by 200 lbs. I forgot to mention the Scud also comes with “race” paint which is 5 lbs lighter than F430 paint :). Track times might appear marginal, but from my personal experience driving an F430 with a full exhaust system vs a Scud, the F430 still felt like a GT car and was missing some low end grunt.

The Scud feels like a go-kart, which is amazing for it’s size. I had a highly modded Exige for a decade. The Scud feels almost the same but with way more balls. The light-weight playful race car feel is what gives it a sense of occasion. Even if you are going 65 mph.

I sincerely hope you’re right about a modded F430 because I see a manual F430 conversion in my future :). Just gotta find the right car.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Scud/458 transition is right around the time where sports car engines utilized direct injection extracting greater efficiency from a motor design. This allows more power and torque from a smaller engine. Powerband is much better. And GT3RS has a huge GT wing. That’s cheating :).

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    ok Ferrari should have put a big wing on, that's certainly true, but the standard 991.1 GT3 has a small one and is still massively faster too on a track but

1. Ferrari forgot to add a wing (of any type) to its SCUD semi track car which is pretty stupid as they race cars too

5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    2. Torque from the stats I have read the SCUD has 347 lbs per foot, whilst the 991.1 GT3 RS has 339 lbs ft, so the SCUD as more torque, not less

please correct me if I am wrong

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Was just a general statement regarding DI engines vs standard. DI allows for higher compression. You have a 6 cylinder cranking out as much power as 8 cylinders. More weight in the butt for a Scud.

If you gave a Scud DI technology alone, power figures would be within 10% of Speciale numbers. Add a big GT Wing, maybe better brakes, and cup tires... you have your track monster.

SF2 has fast shift times but violent on drivetrain. The jerkiness kills track times too.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Even the Speciale is not much faster on a track from all the data, than a standard F430. Ferrari has been duping us all with their Racing Specification marketing, which doesn't actually make their cars go any more than marginally faster than standard showroom models & how we are so stupid (including me) to lap it all up. loadsa of racing goodies, huge price point, no racing performance. Whereas Porsche with the 991.1 GT3 RS actually deliver the goods besides a few stripes

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Cars will get faster overtime. We all know that. Where was Porsche and the 991.1 GT3RS in 2008?

12 years later, the Scud still manages to tickle people’s feathers. You yourself owned it for 9 years. Thats a long time to own something you dont like :).

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #159 RichardCH, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    I was living the dream until I suddenly woke up realised it wasn't true anymore, at least with the SCUD! I am an ingrained Ferrari fan. After the also uncompetitive Speciale followed, Ferrari sadly resorted to turbocharging as they can't compete anymore otherwise, anywhere near a race circuit, with their road based track cars

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Errrr...what's wrong w the Pista? (Other than lacking in the sound dept)

I personally think it looks amazing, perhaps one of, if not, the best looking non-Pininfarina Ferraris so far...and it moves like a bloody spaceship...hard not to love it, unless you're you I guess?

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #161 RichardCH, Jan 20, 2021
    well its a Turbo, sounds truly terrible, check out the relevant thread on FChat & of course it is slower on many tracks, than the 991 GT2 RS, what else do you need to know ? Ferrari is very good at selling stripes & endless carbon goodies, not performance ....

jehu999 likes this.
  12. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    May be true if you’re tracking the car, but when I grew up I drew a red car and taped it on my wall, not a Volkswagen.

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #163 RichardCH, Jan 20, 2021
    but this thread is about the SCUD being an over-marketed, underperforming car for the price vs the original F430 and compared to the equivalently market priced 991.1 GT3 RS today . Pls start a new thread about the Pista vs GT2 RS elsewhere if you wish

14. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I personally enjoy out driving people with faster cars at track days. LOL. Best performance increase is track days and pro instruction. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    As many Mazda Miata owners know as they pass Porsche and Ferrari's on the track. LOL

jehu999 likes this.
  16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The 991.1 has an even more refined chassis than the 997 that preceded it. Porsche knows how to refine the handling of their cars. It's stupid.

As much as everyone loves the "kick in the pants" of the F1 transmission.. its crap. DCT is better in every. single. way. The 430 chassis that is a refined 360 chassis doesn't handle well. It's not as good in the turns as the 458. Too "nervous". My 360 *should* handle better than a 996, but the 996 turbo handling is better, smoother and more confidence inspiring at the limit. At the level of the Scud and Gt2 on the track, very small imperfections make for big differences. That's what you see IMHO.

You almost can't compare the two.. the Porsche 911 is refined perfection. With Ferrari you have to pay for better handling a-la OTO.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When you really know your car versus what some guy with a big ego and wallet *thinks* he does.. is two different things. :)

18. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    All good points but honestly, you have to go with your heart with these cars and I think we have all, at least those with car-ADD, woken up one day and started looking at one of our cars in a different light, suddenly that magical veneer of specialness is dissolved and we start seeing the car in a different/more negative light and then we fall in love with something else and get rid of that car... sometimes we look back and say, what a mistake and other times we say, what was I thinking... The only truly special cars are the ones that make you feel a special buzz EVERY time and it doesn't seem to decrease with time. Whether it's. special way engine sounds or revs or it takes your favorite curve etc. So I think regardless of performance it's really how car makes you feel that matters.

So even if Scud was no faster than a lightened or minimally modded F430, it maybe the way the Scud reacts to throttle inputs, its faster gearbox, its tweaked suspension, and frankly missing sound deadening that transmit more of the vibrations of engine etc. that make it ever so slightly more emotional that in the end performance numbers mean little. That's how I feel about my GT3RS, a regular GT3 would have made more sense for daily use and all around use flexibility but that extra edge of intensity makes it worthwhile for me every time. And if I could afford it, I would have a Scud next to my manual conversion F430 because I miss the F1 transmission craziness and more of everything F430 dialed to a volume of 11/10 ... Again not fair comparing the Scud to GT3RS, kinda like comparing an F8 Tributo to a 997GT3RS, they're technologically on different planets at this point in time but I would personally go for the 997GT3RS...

19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #169 redcaruser, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Please read again carefully, this thread is about that: "I’ve been lurking thru the 430 sub forums hoping to find anyone that has a first hand experience owning both 991 gt3 and Scuderia. I’m debating on trading or selling my 991.1 gt3 for a Scuderia. I don’t track my cars but have to say the GT3 is an incredible drivers car. The Scud would be my first F car, I have owned few lambos currently own a Murcielago and a yellow Gt3. Any thoughts ?"

Summarized: someone owns a 991.1 GT3, which he does NOT drive on the race track, and is now thinking about exchanging it for a Scuderia or a GT3 RS. It seems to me that the thread starter is looking for a car that touches him emotionally rather than the fastest car for the race track.

Regarding GT3 RS vs. Scud you permanently stress the fact that the GT3 RS in accordance to test articles achieves faster lap times on the race tracks (with its x-generations and specially developed for this car better tires). Allow me a side note: who on earth still drives his Scuderia on 2008 Pirelli tires? Isn't it the case, if we are honest, that even within Porsche model generations, the tires are the main component of the performance enhancements? Howsoever, did the thread starter even ask this question?

Also, you write that an F430 is more or less equal to a Scuderia, cost-adjusted even better. Of course, the F430 is also a very good and, especially if special prepared, very fast car. But you ignore what makes the Scuderia extremely different, its uncompromising design based on emotion. The Scuderia came with components on the market that could not be bought for the F430, even for good money. Of course, you can rebuild these components today, but then it becomes extremely expensive. And you can't recommend that to the thread starter with the best will in the world, right?

I think it would be nice take into consideration a little more precise on the request of the thread starter, than to build your own story out of it here.

I know you lost a lot of money with your Scuderia, which you bought new. Perhaps this car has destroyed your hopes for a value investment at the time. But that does not make this car a bad choice for the thread starter. On the contrary, this car is an absolutely exceptional offer compared to its value today, an offer that is hard to turn down, good for him, bad for you. A Scud is hard to beat in terms of generated driving emotionality and performance capabilities.

20. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #170 RichardCH, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    I bought my SCUD used with $100,000 off sticker & just 2k miles, so that worked out fine

21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    sorry, my mistake, I thought I read once that you bought it new.

22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Why doesn't someone open a thread where we correlate the F430 and the Scuderia? This in a positive sense and related to the current time? Because let's be honest, the two cars do not deserve to be played off against each other.

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    that was my F430 Spider

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Buy the Porsche. German engineering and build quality are better than FIAT. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now (I have a 430), I would have gone with the Porsche. Most wins by a marque in the history of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. That means they last. And they go fast. The styling is timeless. They also offer more amenities.

Ray

25. Infant

Infant Karting

Dec 23, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    René
    Porsche makes the best cars, period.

...but I still need that Ferrari.

I own a 991 GT3. Am trading it in on a new 992 GT3 (allocation already given to me, I will spec it towards the end of February) - and I also just bought a Scud. Is it faster than my current or incoming GT3? No it isn't. But it's a lot more desirable. It makes you feel way more special when driving it. I absolutely love the Scud (and my FF) whereas my Porsches are just very very very good cars.

x z8, VAF84 and jehu999 like this.