718 GTS 4.0 | FerrariChat

718 GTS 4.0

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by PhilB, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm interested in this car and have been reading and watching all the reviews. Has anyone seen one in the wild yet? My dealer took an order for one and it is being delivered this weekend, while I can't test drive the car they will take me to the prep shop to look it over.

Wondering now that it's back to a NA flat 6 and with 3 pedals just what kind of drive it is. Reviews are saying great things about it.

F2003-GA, walnut and Texas Forever like this.
  2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking into one as well as I’d love to get into a manual NA 6c. Seems allocations are slim and finding one to test drive impossible.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, my GT4 will be at the docks soon. Should I take it?

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    My dealer is giving me an allocation, but I don't want to order one unless I test drive one first. I have a 981S with PDK now, I need to see how the manual drives before I decide to get out of what I already have.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Enjoy the GT4 TF! Can’t wait to see the pics! I’m told I’ll hear more promising news next week. I may dive in without driving/seeing one in person. Probably I’ll advised but should be low risk.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario

Good video review.

Beetleything likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For a variety of reasons, none of them good, I just passed on the GT4. If you want it, the car is in the winds. But don't hesitate. I have no money in the deal. Just trying to help my fellow man. Yellow, 18-way regular seats, damn, what am I doing?

8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    ^^^

Why you passing ?

MDS

9. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I ordered a 4.0 GTS in Boxster trim. I surprised how constrained the allocations have been. My dealer is a large one in the SF Bay Area and they said they had just one build slot in Q1 of 2021.

I haven’t seen or driven one yet. I’m willing to roll the dice on the car because I loved the 2.5 718 chassis, just not the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Purely personal reasons. I love the car. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mikesufka likes this.
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry to hear that, Dale. Sometimes you have to make tough choices.

12. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Did you get a chance to check it out? I put a deposit on one today in Atlanta and saw a prior gen one (2.5L) but they didn’t have any new 4.0’s.

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Congratulations!

I've been dealing with a surgery I needed and the recovery after effects, and the holidays, so I haven't had a chance. I'll reach out to my dealer this week, they were supposedly getting one into their stock last week that wasn't ordered by anyone, so it's possibly available for a test drive.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awesome car on paper but i would be concerned with the gearing in manual trans. supposedly goes to 80 mph in 2nd gear so never get to change gears on street. not big issue on track but compromises fun of hi reving engine on street. the pdk version has different gearing but havent heard of any reviews of it
    btw, i did the porsche driving experience in 718s and was a great car with way better accelerating than i expected but steering was pretty numb. i would test the car before buying.

AD211 and BJK like this.
  15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    It's ironic you wrote this today, I'm tossing this around all day. I need to bring in my 2016S for an oil change, and will plan to retest drive a regular 718S. At first I was very against the idea of the 4 banger, but this is my DD, and I don't necessarily want a lower volume GTS to park at the train station or supermarket either. And unless I can test drive a 4.0 718, I won't order one.

16. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    So I met with my dealer a couple days ago, and I just can't get past the 4 banger regular 718. Nice car, great power and balance, and it's not that it has 4 cylinders per se, it's that new and spec'd with some options that I want an "S" prices around $90-95k USD for something that sounds like my neighbor's $30k Subaru. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't make sense to me.

My dealer said they expect some 4.0 inventory in March and I should be able to test drive one then.

I'll keep my 2016 981S for the time being.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    981S is hard to beat. I intend to keep mine for the rest of my life.

18. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Pulled my deposit. Gonna wait and test drive one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  20. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm taking delivery on a 2020 718 Spyder next week that was in stock and had been used for ads & promos before the pandemic shut everything down. My dealer took the allocation from Porsche NA & I bought it before they had listed it for sale at their dealership (they puled it out of prep for the test drive, and now they're doing the last parts of the CPO work to give me the 2 year extension on the 3.5 years left on the factory warranty).

The issue of the conrods exploded on Rennlist last week, and most of the 190 owners have already commented. Not sure yet if they'll just replace the engines or do an overhaul on already-delivered ones, and there is a wide variety of pissed off people & what they want (besides to hunt down whoever made the decision to use those parts). Those ordered but which haven't left the factory will most likely get new engines, and then they'll retrofit the existing ones to drop in the previously-used conrods. All of this will clog and delay any new orders as those 190 (which I hope is the final number; it was 172 a few days ago) are fixed and sent to their owners.

Since my car was there, and is in great shape with the (lack of) options I wanted, I pulled the trigger. It is actually quieter than I thought it might be with a 4.0NA engine, and drives like it's on rails. God, it's fun to row a manual shift again.

Devilsolsi and Texas Forever like this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    If this happened to Chevy on the C8, they would be trashed as garbage. But for Porsche? Just water off a duck's back. AGAIN! Apparently didn't learn from the last time. :rolleyes: :confused: o_O

Pawilly likes this.
  22. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  24. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Hi Don. It just means that in original Gen 1 form, base spec, except mine also has PASM and PSC, Porsche built a perfect to me affordable mid-engine sports car from the first iteration and with few bells and whistles. I bought my car as 2nd owner with just over 14K miles and she is now approaching 99K. She has more abilities than I ever will be able to bring out. No doubt the 718GTS 4.0 and the latest GT4 are on another level in comparison.

25. Bartleby7344

Bartleby7344 Rookie

Apr 23, 2019
    May 15th I received an allocation for a Boxster GTS 4.0 for November delivery. Having lived with a 2005 Boxster S (987.1) for 12 years and loving everything about it except that it only made 280 hp, I’m looking forward to having a mid engine car again.