Ex-racers with Keeper F355s | FerrariChat

Ex-racers with Keeper F355s

Discussion in '348/355' started by mclaudio, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Looking at today’s news somehow led me to a couple of 2017 Top Gear articles involving Dario Franchitti and Jensen Button:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/jenson-buttons-life-cars

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/my-life-cars-dario-franchitti

I found it interesting that both retired racers still own their respective F355s which they each bought early in their professional race careers. The fact that they still own it and speak highly of it speaks volumes to me about the model.

Having been directly involved with pro road race drivers in past careers, I appreciate their opinions on cars. Most of the time, I tend to agree/align such as Jensen’s opinion on super/hyper cars (like the Veyron or the Enzo) and Dario’s Porsche affinity.

Back to the F355, I feel honored to be in the same camp with these two ex-pro racers in that a F355 is also in my garage as a keeper. Just sharing...

Hexus, Yassa, INTMD8 and 4 others like this.
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  3. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I knew Dario still had his, I have heard him speak highly about it several times on Motorsport Magazine podcasts. Did not know about Jenson, that was very cool to learn. It certainly says something about the 355 that these 2 who know more about driving than almost anyone, rate the 355 so highly that they are their forever cars. I think I will continue to advice and direction from the F1 WDC and multiple Indy 500 winner, rather than listening to the same people in this section complaining about their car.

Forza Ferrari, Forza F355 sempre!

mclaudio, taz355 and Robb like this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I had read previously that Jenson Button owned a keeper F355, thanks for posting an article that delves deeper into the story! Im listening to his Autobiography at the moment too!

mclaudio likes this.
  5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Nice. I had a daily driver e55 for a while, too. Dario is right on; not the best handling car but fun to smoke tires (or drift in the snow).

6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Actually, I was thinking the same as I notice a bit too much threads on values vs maintenance lately. Enjoy the F355 drive! That’s where the value is.

jjtjr likes this.
  7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    They both own F40's and love them immensely. I don't know Jensen but I do know Dario and he is a class act all the way. We initially met over a Lamborghini Countach that I owned but bonded over stories about our respective F40's (neither of us would ever sell our F40's).

It's not a surprise that those two feel strongly about the 355. They're great cars.

Yassa, MAD828 and mclaudio like this.
  8. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Jeff Gordon also has a keeper 355. Saw it at the local shop a couple years back, when it was in for a major service.

mclaudio likes this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thought I’d bump this, as in Chris Harris’s collecting cars podcast he recently interviews both Dario Franchitti and Jenson in separate podcasts, both still have their F355 although Jenson has sold his F40...

mclaudio likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    makes sense to me...i find my f40 and f355 to be very emotional cars and obviously they carry alot of nostalgia with them. im having a tubi evolution muffler put on my f355 an i feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

mclaudio and MAD828 like this.
  11. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
  12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It wasn’t a keeper, but Martin Brundle rated it highly:
    start at 50:35

So far I have listened to 4 of Chris Harris’s podcast and 3 of them all ex drivers mention the F355 in the podcast (Jenson button, Dario Franchitti, and Martin Brundle).

mclaudio, Robb and Flavio_C like this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Jenson at 41:10 talking about his F355.
    A car he will never sell.

mclaudio and Robb like this.
  14. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    At 31.05 he talks about him buying his 355 and that he still has it since 1996/7
    Oh yea. This might not please every one but check out.... 28.08, my oh my :D

tres55 likes this.
  15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Thanks for sharing this. I listened to the podcast today on my way to the office and it was great. Dario, Marino and Chris are all huge enthusiasts. I particularly like Chris Harris’ comment that when someone says they don’t like the way the 355 looks he cannot be friends with them. Boy do they all hate the paddle shift cars before the double clutch versions.

mclaudio likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I Agree with them - pre cs you have to go stick