Lowering my Pista | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    What an improvement! Thanks for posting pictures. I will follow your driving impressions.

SoCal to az likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    1- You can lower the car on the stock springs but you are compressing them. The ride from what Ive been told is much more harsh. The Novitec springs are shorter so they lower the car but they also retain some springiness.
    2- My ride with the novitec springs is greatly improved. Much less body roll, the car feels so much more planted
    3- I have not played with bumpy road mode as we have pretty good roads here in Scottsdale.

3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks SoCal...

Can anyone else please add some feedback on bumpy road-mode if they have experience post new springs?

4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #54 GT2goneF, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Agree with SoCal. Compressing OEM springs is a cheap mistake as you will pay for it on the ride and maybe even damage your suspension and/or steering. The recoil strength get compromised and the rest of the suspension elements, steering elements on the front will pay the consequences, along with you and the rest of your car. Novitec springs are designed to be stronger at decreased length and higher compression rate. They also retain their length strength as well, minimizing body roll.

With regards to the "bumpy road mode", I have read that it has not been affected.

I am waiting for my car to be finished to then consider doing the second phase of the project, which would be Novitec exhaust, tehctronic, springs and wheels/tires.

Perhaps @carz80am can comment on ride. I believe he lowered his.

5. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Novitec springs ride just like factory, not much difference except looks a lot better. Maybe handling improved a little as well.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    He is also asking whether the "bumpy" mode is affected. Do you have any input about this?

7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Does your Pista have the suspension lifter? If not, are you at all concerned about scraping the front lip?

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I do not have the lifter and no I’m not concerned. I’ve got scrape armour screwed in. I’ll let you know if it’s an issue.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    He lives in Scottsdale, are you kidding me? Those roads are well kept and flat to the micron.

Thecadster and SoCal to az like this.
  10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    How much was the scrape armour? if you recall and don't mind me asking. Even though I have the lifter, a little more protection wouldn't hurt.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I wanna say less than $1000 bucks installed. My PPF guys did it for me.

They screw it in to the bottom and I have double PPF on front and rear diffuser.

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't think it should be that hard to install if it fits in to the same bolt pattern. I looked on their website and it seems like they still don't have it for the F8. I placed an inquiry.

My car is also having PPF as well. I just want to protect the front bottom end, it that makes any sense. For some reason, I thought it would be more expensive. Seems very reasonable.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- goes right into the same bolt pattern. Pista should be the same as F8 no?

15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't know. I hope so, but I think they may actually be different. Will have to wait and see what they tell me

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Nope, not affected.

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have a pista spider and I think it drives great and looks great. I’m extremely reluctant to start messing around with after market parts. I like the cars all original. Also for road use I think ride height is fine and also body roll = grip, something I learnt while doing the Ferrari Challenge. I think changing springs, exhausts etc is fun but might be better to do on a much cheaper fun car.

Brembo241 and F12london like this.
  18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My regular ole lowly 488GTB does not have the front lifter. With my Novi springs I haven't really needed a lifter here in Florida. Definitely didn't need a lifter at stock height. I actually looked for a 488 with out the lifter.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    1- Yes F8 has coilover that are height adjustable. If you lower on stock springs about 10mm you are fine...about 1/2 a regular male finger width.
    2- Ride basically feels like stock, just a tad more firm but a lot less body roll. Novitec springs are really KW springs and KW is a premier suspension manufacture so they know what they are doing.
    3- Bumpy road mode will still soften out the ride. I do not use it much here in Florida except when I am downtown Tampa and going over some railroad track or old cobblestone streets.

Enzo Belair likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I know you have an extensive collection and an experienced driver but I would be curious if you were to add the springs to one of your cars. When I say I lowered my car, it’s the width of a finger. Very little. It’s not slammed to the ground by any means.

The improvement for me personally is well worth it.

roma1280 and GT2goneF like this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very good point (and with all due respect); Can't really compare if one hasn't had the chance to experience the alternatives. It is OK to prefer the stock set up, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is better. Otherwise, these cars would all be at their maximum and optimum. We all know that isn't the case. I feel that my GT2 is perfect as it is, but I wouldn't know if there's better because I haven't tried i.he alternatives. Just like Roma, I am not interested to do anything to the GT2. The F8, I feel it needs it. I feel it can become a lot closer to a Pista (in performance) than what Ferrari actually did. For that reason, it is getting the exhaust and Novitec springs; (and before I get the kneejerk reply, should have gone for a Pista, I didn't want a Pista)

buddyg and RoadRonin like this.
  22. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Mike!

mdrums likes this.
  23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I completely agree that the stock setup can be greatly improved, I’m just saying for cruising around in the pista spider and even pushing whenever possible just not worth the cost and issues it causes with resale. For that I have the 488 challenge EVO in the garage at the track and obviously spend lots of time on setup etc. Totally get the fun of tinkering and improving.

SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah, but like @SoCal to az said, you are buying a top of the line sports car that can cross a small river. It really looks like a 4x4 crossover. The New Ferrari (Subaru) Outback. WHat I can't understand is if Porsche and Mercedes can set an appropriate stance from factory, why doesn't Ferrari.

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Haha, I must admit I had never really noticed but tomorrow I’ll take a look!

SoCal to az likes this.