458 Italia: 20/21 or 21/22 Wheel Setup? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Italia: 20/21 or 21/22 Wheel Setup?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    San Francisco

2. Stefano paglia

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    When are you getting wheels

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can have the same wheel arch gap with 20/21. If you run 315/30R21 and 255/35R20 you keep the overall diameter, and a much more balanced car. Not only can you stick to MPS4S tyres, it will ride and handle a million times better than if you use 355/25R21 Pirellis in the rears.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Stefano paglia

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Have any good pics of 20/21 set up

5. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I appreciate the advice.

Thank you

6. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Post #32 by VelocityTexas is a pretty good example.

7. Stefano paglia

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Yea that looks good

8. Stefano paglia

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Have you decided on what your going to do?

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sorry no. Most do the other version. But even those will still give you an idea of the look. There's of course a width limit as a 315 section tyre needs a narrower rim, but they will fit on 11.5 inch wide wheels.

10. PANOWES360

PANOWES360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Full Name:
    BOBBY
    Does anybody know if a 21x9.5 et 27 and 22x12.5 et 50 will work for a 458?
    tires 255/30/21 335/23/22
    without causing speed/abs sensor issues?

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Be sure you keep the over all tire diameter the same as stock...especially the ratio between front and rear. If you do not you will mess up the traction control, stability control and how the car senses these things.

Also a bigger over all tire diameter in the rear ultimately changes the final gear ratio and with a larger over all diameter you will lose acceleration. Increasing your wheel and tire size will decrease the driving force from your wheels which will culminate in a decrease in acceleration of said wheels. To summarise, a car's engine finds it more difficult to rotate larger wheels, making for a decrease in overall acceleration. ;-) This has been tested in a Car and Drive article and also other various media.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What the...

Who put that wheel package together? It is way off, and 255 will not fit with those numbers. In fact, nothing will fit.

Just to put it into perspective. With a 9x21 wheel, HRE uses 32 mm offset. With those 245 is the limit and 255 rub.to run 255 properly your offset should not be more than 37.

As far as fitment goes, et 27 with 9.5 will poke out, a lot. Look at it this way. With 8.5" wide wheels i.e stock wheels, a 15 mm spacer in the front is max. 15 mm spacers equals a 32 mm offset, and put the rim lip flush. That 27 mm offset moves the wheel out another 5 mm, and the added wheel width will put the rim lip an additional 12.5 mm out. Sooooo, compared to stock, the wheel lips will sit about 33 mm further out than stock. Can you say poor wheel fitment?

Now lets look at your rears. HRE uses 55 mm offset in the rear, and those cause a slight rub. You have 50 mm. Yep, good fitment, not...

I really don't understand how these guys at the wheel shops can call themselves experts and car enthusiasts.

350MH83 likes this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Keep in mind that where the wheel/tire sits in the wheel well/fender will depend on your camber alignment too. Also how the mechanic uses the camber shims to achieve your alignment

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True, but no proper alignment can negate such poor wheel fitment. A ton of camber will make the wheels clear the top arches, but the fronts will still rub a lot on the inner liners when turning.

mdrums likes this.
  15. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    I would assume he putting forged wheels on his car. Typically the custom forged stuff is lighter than the stop setup no?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Forged is lighter, easier to turn, yes...however I am talking above overall diameter.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sometimes yes, but often no. It takes a lot to make a 21" or 22" forged wheel lighter than a 20" forged wheel. If anything, more often than not, they end up weighing about the same. The Forged wheels are usually between 21-23 lbs for the front and 23-25 for the rears. The only exception is the forged Pista wheels which are slightly lighter, or the HRE R101 Lightweight which are lighter still. But "regular" HRE P1 series wheels or equivalent are easily the same as OE forged, and the more intricate split wheel designs are usually heavier. As an example, mdrums run a set of HRE P1 series wheels in stock 20" size. They weight about the same as Pista wheels, i.e 21 and 23 lbs. Had they been a wider 21" and 22" size they would obviously have been somewhat heavier.

It is also worth noting that if you have two wheels weighing the same, but one being a 22" vs. a 20" wheel, the rotating mass of the 22" inch wheel has a much greater effect on the cars performance as the weight of the barrel sits further out in the circumference. In other words, you can't compare a 23 lbs 20" wheel and 22" 23 lbs wheel. For a 22" wheel to have the same effect on performance they would have to be around 20 lbs or less. On top of this you add a lot of weight with the bigger tyre. A 335/25R22 is about 7-9 lbs heavier than a 305/30R20 or 295/35R20. So even in the event that the 22" was a bit lighter than the stock wheels, you still end up adding a ton of weight where it hurts the most, i.e the outer most circumference. Again like I have said before, the aftermarket wheel vendors will tell you that the rim is lighter or the same, but they forget to tell you that the tyre is a lot heavier, and that the larger tyre diameter also negatively affect the final drive ratio. If you wonder whether it's noticeable in a street car application, it is, quite a bit in fact. Don't do this as a performance upgrade, because it is not a performance upgrade. It is a visual change that comes at a price which is reduced performance capabilities.

350MH83, RoadRonin and mdrums like this.
  18. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I had the 21/22 inch configuration. I recently reverted back to stock in order to ship my wheels back to HRE as I had accidentally damaged one. The improvement in performance dynamics was quite noticeable going back to stock. I’m also beginning to appreciate how the car looks on the factory wheels. I’m most likely sticking with my stock wheels at this point. As I’ve mentioned previously, if I were to change the wheels (in order to achieve a more flush look with the fenders without the need for spacers) I would go 20/21.

19. 458cc

458cc Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Totally agreed!

OEM wheels lowered on Novitec springs and spacers are the perfect look.

However if you want something fancy, 20/21 so you can get a better selection of performance tires.

20. utah914

utah914 Rookie

Jan 25, 2011
    Do you have any details on the wheel size, brand, tire size, and suspension on this one? Looks absolutely perfect to me. I'm trying to work our a wheel, tire, and suspension change on a Speciale. Any info would be appreciated.

21. Stefano paglia

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Stefano
  22. homeslice

homeslice Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 14, 2018
    spartanburg sc
    Full Name:
    Serge
    You seem super knowledgeable, so I'm thinking about going with 21's rear and 20s

I do plan on taking this car occasionally to the mountains with that being said, should i run the 315 30s on the rear instead?

and what offset do you recommend something in the low 40s for up front?

thanks in advance

23. PANOWES360

PANOWES360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Full Name:
    BOBBY
    Those are some clean wheels looks sharp

24. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    When I first bought my 458 it had one of those setups , I felt that the ride was rough just wasn’t right, went back to the stock 20s and all is well.