Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAFE4NOW, Jan 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I would not have that expectation of the dealership or independent mechanic. In fact, if they had to drive it extensively to find the problem and had to refuel I think I should pay for the fuel.

However, if I spent ~$400K for a new Ferrari and was picking it up at the dealership I think it be nice to leave with the gauge pointing to "F"

alex likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Where exactly is this dealership?! :)

wax, A348W, Red 27 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We never let any of our cars go below half a tank of gas. We want to be prepared in case we need to travel, or in case of an emergency. It's the same with the California--just a habit we've gotten into!

Red 27 likes this.
  5. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I dropped my 430 off on Wednesday at Ace Motorsports. Had it detailed before bringing it in for service. Never drop any car off with low gas.
    Bottle of Old Forester for Adam when I pick it up.
    If you have to add a couple of gallons from a can I would charge that as shop supplies. Fill it up a gas station, I would never expect that to be done for free.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope.

Well, maybe.

How about this... Mechanic is $150/hr, probably more. Drop your car off and it needs a fill up? Well, mechanic punches the time ticket, hops in, drives to the nearest gas station, fills it up, drives it back. At $150/hr, that'll be $75+ the "parts."

Free wash/detail? Well, sure, if you know it's part of the deal, and you want the lowest paid guy on the lot driving your car into the wash area, etc. When I dropped my car off for service, it got parked inside, and was clean as a whistle when I dropped it off, so, no thanks other than to give it a quick rinse if it got dusty.

On the other hand, my Mercedes gets a nice wash and interior vacuum each time I drop it off, and they offer free car washes if you're in the neighborhood, anytime. But I knew that when I bought it, it's one of the reasons to consider which dealer to buy from on a car like that.

When you go to the dentist, do you expect him to polish your teeth for free if you're there for an extraction?

How about a free prostate exam when you're at the doctor for a flu shot? (Although some of you guys might enjoy that.) "Hey doc, can ya' check my prostate while I'm here? No extra charge, ok? I'll pay for the glove and the lube, but not your time."

Hell, when I bought my last house I felt like I was a little lucky to have it cleaned before I moved in, and it was BRAND NEW! (Although right now if you buy, they toss in a nice new golf cart.)

So, I guess the answer is, "Um, no, not really." If they perform a service, I expect to ask for it, and pay for it.

D

Red 27 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

In the Bay Area it’s close to 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If the customer drops a car off with almost zero fuel..and it's in for various running issues..I put fuel in it and add it to the invoice. Usually we charge the pump rate and nothing more. It's kinda combined into the diagnostic fee.

Red 27 likes this.
  9. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    I would pay the service department for the fillup at a reasonable rate during annual service or any service.

No expectations for “free” gas. It’s a consumable.

I would like a loaner tho! :)

10. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Probably not going to get it often, but when putting fuel in the tank, it might be a good idea to ask the owner if it is alright. On 2 of my cars, I use ethanol free fuel whenever possible, and if I don't have access to ethanol free above 90, I add an octane boaster. Adding premium fuel with ethanol in it will not hurt a couple of times and doesn't bother me, but owners can be finicky. Just my thoughts.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is my wife's philosophy. She gets nervous if it goes even just a tick below the half mark. She actually considered a Tesla Model S before we bought her Panamera, but what deterred her was the thought of running low on juice and not finding a charger.

alex likes this.
  12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I think bringing a car in for a service with the gas light on is a low life thing to do. I owned a shop for twenty five years, working on high end cars. Did a rebuild on a Lamborghini Espada, that sucked a few valves and jammed them back through the head. I didn't feel comfortable handing the car back to the owner unless I DROVE the car and put some miles on it. This is like doing open heart surgery. I not only filled the tank TWICE, I charged the customer for the fuel I used. The car was an absolute gas hog, and frankly NOT all that much fun to drive. Why should I eat the gas cost? I brought this car back from the dead.

Not wanting to sound like a snob, but my mechanical abilities allowed MANY people to afford a car that was over their heads. The idea that I should do a million things for them is backwards. I of course NEVER returned their car back dirty, and never empty or low on fuel. But if I had to take time to fill it up, my time was not free. It's called being considerate.

430tdf and alex like this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Here is my take. This may be a different perspective.

Getting your car serviced/ repaired today there is an expectation that the car will be properly repaired on time at the cost agreed to. If you take your car to a Ferrari dealer you expect high-quality workmanship, you expect the car to be cared for and clean neat upon pick up. that is just the Ferrari expectation let alone the Customer Expectation. this is not a Ford or honda that there are millions made. So if you are spending $500K on a new Ferrari and bring it in for service on an empty tank - if it were me the owner of the dealership I would not only detail the car, I'd document the seating position, climate, radio station etc.. so that its the same when they pick it up. I'd also fill the tank with gas etc... to me that would be setting the example of the service of your dealership. its the Unexpected that sets you apart. I'd also document the work being done with pictures or video, and provide to the customer. As a matter of fact, when delivering the car I'd set up a binder custom for the customer showing all work done that was included in the mtns. program. so that when the car sells it has a fully documented history... again for a Ford - no, Ferrari yes. I'd do that for any Ferrari customer. I'd also factor that into my shop rate and have it covered. in a service costing $2500 - $4K $50 for a full tank of gas? really is that a concern? ( on both sides. ) but I can tell you that when you realize the service - that is the stuff that keeps you coming back. Its Hospitality that makes the experience.

My example: Pelican Hill resort out in California I had a rental caddy... we were using for driving around here and there ( had to have a large car to carry 6 PP.. anyway, park it at the valet - they then take you via golf cart to your villa. call them to have the car ready - it was always full tank, and freshly washed - with cold water and Starbucks ready for you in the car! every morning ... water in the afternoon. Blue tooth was ready to be paired etc... to me that is attention to detail. also they had a bag of Snacks for you in the car! when we first pulled up, to check in - the valet opens the door welcomes you and askes a couple of questions. what kind of water do you like - flavored, still or sparkling.. coffee choice in the morning? how many creams etc... ( latte for me) what is your favorite brand etc... Impressive. The only other places I have stayed that had that level of service was Hotel Goring in London and NYC St Regis. Can you imagine the impact when you pick up your car? The cost per person to fill up a tank and a bottle of water etc... $30 on a service that is likely to cost a couple thousand? the hard part is teaching true service and hospitality to non hospitality staff. .....

14. johnmorganhere

Feb 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Morgan
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Maybe just me but I don't want anyone filling my car or especially washing it. Same for the interior.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You have got to be kidding..
    The only reason they need to put fuel in it, is if they encounter scenario A.

If I came in and picked up my car after service and complained that they did not fuel it, I would win entitled ******* of the year.

I'm more that okay with just finding the occassional bottle of gin or some beers etc. in the boot after a service. Good times and just for fun.

Demanding free fuel? Right...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree you should not expect it as an owner... as a dealer / shop I think its a great way to show value and service.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. This is where I think the occasional bottle of something in the boot works better though. But I never expect anything other than things to be done right.

alex likes this.