LaF or F50? | FerrariChat

LaF or F50?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by dustman, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Debating adding one to the mix. Very diff cars, I like both equally which is causing the conundrum.
    I do feel as though the LaF will continue to lose value what with a sea of quicker and cheaper hyper cars on the horizon including SF90.
    I have a CS and a F12TDF already, with 765lt and STO incoming over the next year. The latter two I don’t consider keepers. Ruled out the Enzo as it just doesn’t excite enough. F40’s perhaps.

VAF84, Caeruleus11 and plastique999 like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f40
    f50
    laf
    enzo

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Good problems to have!
    I Can’t afford either but world follow ttforce advise;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I have never owned a F50 but I have driven one. It is a masterpiece, incredible sound, very fluid handling and the best manual gear change in the world. It has little torque and the engine is a structural component of the chassis so it vibrates a little but this is nitpicking compared to the overall greatness of the machine. It is also super rare so it will hold its value
    The LaF is an epic car, personally I love everything about it from the noise, the looks(it has aged well), the handling, the amazing seating position and the usability. It is more exciting than the Enzo (and you don’t have to tolerate the Enzo gearchange) and easier to live with. The battery is a concern but if you don’t forget to plug it in you won’t have problems

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mn-0127, Caeruleus11 and dustman like this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As ttf mentioned, it’s the big 5...question is which one?
    Couple of questions in this range would be what the primary goals are?
    Collectibility/value retention?
    Driveability?
    Obviously, these are collectible and most owners will not put many miles on any of these cars. If your goal is collectibility and value, I’d love love love the F50 over the LaF. In fact, that would be my next car after the F40.
    The LaF obviously much more modern and easier to drive. I’d also be concerned about the battery life.
    My personal order would be:
    F40
    Enzo
    F50
    LaF

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Motivations....noise, drama, emotional connection, not always in the shop, do not care about residual values/collectibility/preserving her for the next owner.

VAF84 likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Euro-spec F50 that's been driven and not some low miles rare US-spec that is a museum piece.

Caeruleus11 and Bas like this.
  8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LaFerrari versus F50?

F50.

Listening to the hair-raising shriek which it's F1-derived V12 engine emits without the roof on is a visceral experience every time.

The final manual gearbox Ferrari Supercar, 3 pedals, a beautiful manual gearbox, the end of an era.

YellowF50, Picchu88, imahorse and 7 others like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Love the LaF but F50 is the true king. F50 over everything.

500drvr and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yup, after the 40!

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You take the 40, I'll take the 50;););)

ttforcefed likes this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Market looks thin.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, and IMO for the right reasons, not least of which is the fact that they are rare.

If you are in the USA and seeking a USA car right now, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    F50 has amazing presence and so much mechanical interest. The LaF not so much. F50 then Enzo. Beyond that there are other marks to consider.

JagShergill, Bas and plastique999 like this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I can’t imagine the aural orgasmic sound with the top off!

joe sackey likes this.
  16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

This sums it up. F40>F50 all day everyday

tomc likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Love that vid

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My fav vid. Leaves me undecided. Open top of F50 is such a big draw.

20. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    In the collection I help curate, we have 2 x Enzo's, an F40, a 288GTO and 2 x F50's

We considered the LaFerrari, but felt the Bloodline ended with the introduction of hybrid/battery and didnt go for it. I do love the LaFerrari (styling, design, aggressive looks, engineering, noise etc etc) but then introduce value to your man maths! There are plenty for sale, few seem to change hands certainly over here in the UK, they are all over priced, move from dealer to dealer, I feel they will continue to drop in price for the foreseeable future. I know from a friend that owns one, and is a seller, the difference between where a dealer will write a cheque for one, versus the price they are currently advertised for sale will buy you a 100 mile TDF!

The F50 is a remarkable car, and a pleasure to work on, dare I even say it is relatively simplistic - but I think that is part of the beauty, everything is so functional, so well engineered and designed - it is a completely functional car with no frills or luxuries. To drive it is always a pleasure, memorable and a real occasion. I also feel it is getting to that age where it carries real kudos and the car is respected by even non-car folk - basically people don't think you are ******, it is very cool - most folk would never guess its worth more than a LaFerrari, they just think there is a car dude with a class bit of kit.

I constantly change my order with these cars, but generally the F50 is Number 1, the surprise for me over the last 12 months has been the Enzo, it is now a firm number 2 on the list. I have spent a lot of time working on our new Enzo - the more I work, understand and learn - the more I realise it is an absolute master piece.

Would I be so bold as to say the Enzo is going to be the next big thing, its now that current poster generation car, it still looks out of this world,- space age, it is so easy to drive and so usable - of all the cars, the Enzo is the one I would use as my daily and it would delivery every time, you don't worry about it, you don't watch the gauges, it starts and stops, sits happily in the rain, it cleans up like new, its a real happy place to be.

ahhhhhh I have just changed the order again, Enzo goes to number 1

-K1-, willcrook, of2worlds and 6 others like this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    My crystal ball just came back from service @ Ferrari Newport Beach, I'm looking into it now and I believe I see an F50 parked next to your F40 sometime in the future...

plastique999 likes this.
  22. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    F50 all day long. The best looking Ferrari in history.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you, appreciate the perspectives.

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    $200k+ if/when replacing LaF battery pack, just FYI.

(my vote: F50)

25. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    Have never driven one and don't have much to contribute, but I like F50s. My dream car isn't a new car, it's something that speaks to me when I drive, something that transfers feel from the road to myself. This car is arguably as raw and special as it gets as it gets, cars like the LaF will never give the user this level of engagement. It's hard to beat a stick, analog, V12 Ferrari. Would probably be a good idea to test drive both cars back to back & see which one speaks to you. From an $ standpoint, I'd go with the F50 all day as that type of car simply isn't made anymore, and with the influx of computers with wheels more people are starting to appreciate it the f50.

disclaimer: I'm incredibly biased as my grail car is an F50 GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ^ excites me.

E60 M5, plastique999 and Bas like this.