Bodge job on door light switches | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Bodge job on door light switches

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew McCrae, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Heh. That thread is a great example of the one challenge I have with the forum format -- search.

Back in October, I searched fchat for "door jamb", "door switch", "courtesy light", etc (limiting it to the 308/328 forum). After an hour of reading about drilling out the panel, Porsche not-quite-right-but-works, complaints about NOS prices, and so on, the best I could find was this thread started by @Andrew McCrae 1.5 years ago and "intimating" that there was a like-for-like cross-reference out there. A quick ping to @Martin308GTB for the trail (and bumping this thread to the top of the forum), and a trip to my Volvo in the garage, confirmed that this was a "dimensional" like-for-like solution. So, like a dutiful fchatter, I responded to *this* thread confirming @Martin308GTB and @Andrew McCrae 's findings.

Ten days later, @Newman started the thread above "discovering" this great new replacement part for the door switches--same one. Which, of course, started a whole new re-discussion of the merits of NOS prices, concours judging, other replacement options, plastic v aluminum plungers and so on.

Don't get me wrong--fchat is amazing (people and the forum) and makes all of our car lives so much better. But this is my one frustration -- it often becomes a drawn out treasure hunt to find the answer to a relatively simple question, largely because there are so many threads discussing the same topic or mentioning it under an unrelated topic.

Without the forum, likely no method of actually finding the treasure. I just wish there was a better search solution.

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  3. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    #78 TurtleFarmer, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    When I do searches, I always include Technical Q&A.

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  5. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    great thread for 308 door switches
    BUT
    has anyone got an alternative for the 328 as totally different on my car.

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I prefer plastic plunger over aluminum. No scratches on door paint.

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Oops, there are plastic plugs for the plungers to contact. I had a Homer Simpson “DOH!”. This is what I get for not looking and guessing.

Andrew McCrae and TurtleFarmer like this.