Cleaning aluminum oxidation and baked on oil | FerrariChat

Cleaning aluminum oxidation and baked on oil

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by V12addict, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Hi All, has anybody attempted to clean and bring to factory look those intricate aluminum engine castings? I have heard everything from water blasting, bead blasting and all kinds of other blasting as well as oven cleaner and wet sanding. I also don't think the factory ever painted the engine castings before installation in the cars. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    You might try Frozen carbon dioxde blasting it will leave no residue. The CO2 gets behind the stain/material and then sublimes or boils off under the stains to remove them. If you can find a place near you you can ask them. Don't know how expensive it is how ever.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    For a rough casting, glass bead blasting will work. Don't use alumina oxide; it's too abrasive for aluminum.

V12addict likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ice blasting

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have used Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner on my Dino castings with good results. You can usually get it at you local auto parts store for less than $10. As mentioned by another Dino owner, use a stainless wire brush if necessary rather than a brass brush as it will mark the aluminum.

V12addict likes this.
  7. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Possible, thank you.

8. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    I have heard this product works very well

9. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    :):):):):)

10. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    If you don't want to remove the parts for bead blasting, Aluminum Jelly is a product I have used to remove corrosion and brighten the metal. Bursh it on, let it sit for a few minutes, work it in with a Scotch-Brite, and finally clean with water.

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Depending on the car some castings were painted by the factory. What engine are you working on?

12. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Update: Aluminum Jelly is no longer available.

13. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    My observation is
    Anything that was diecast (sand diecast) got painted
    Anything pressure diecast like (for example 308 water pumps) left natural.

V12addict likes this.
  14. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    yes, thank you. the engine is inside the car and i like to clean it up without any removal.

15. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    a 308 from 1982

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A 1982 308 will have no painted castings. Most are pressure cast aluminum and are quite easy to clean however there are a lot of different techniques. With the engine in the car there are more limited options and some experimentation goes a long way. Here are some techniques that have worked well for me:

1. WD40 with a plastic brush or very fine steel wool. Keep the workspace well lubricated and give the WD40 time to work. It will literally draw grease and grime out of the castings which you can wipe or wash away.

2. Spray on scrubbing bubbles. Yes the same stuff used for your bathroom works really well on Aluminum. Again add soft agitation with a plastic brush and wipe and rinse.

3. Spray brake cleaner. A fantastic chemical available at any auto parts store and should be in the toolbox anyways.

4. Simple Green. The secret here is to make sure it is good and HOT. Totally a night and day difference compared to room temperature

5. Aluma-Brite. This is an aviation cleaner that is alkaline. Can be tricky to use and requires lots of experimentation but can work very well.

Whatever you do DONT use wire brushes or abrasives. It will forever ruin the factory aluminum. Any abrasive should be carefully tested and well lubricated to soften its potency. Good luck with your project

flash32 likes this.
  17. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you for the advice. I like the lighter approach on these delicate castings. I have also looked into Simple Green air craft that is made particularly for aluminum they say.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't know about Simple Green aircraft but regular Simple Green will etch raw aluminum and leave marks if you wait too long to flush off. It does work well but can't be left on too long.

V12addict likes this.
  19. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    As a cheap and safe cleaner I use mineral spirits in a pump spray bottle. It will not remove oxidation but is is it safe on aluminum or cured paint and does a really good job of easily removing old grease and oil with a little agitation using a brush. Just use it in a well ventilated work space, avoid any open flames and dispose of any saturated rags used for final cleanup in a safe manner.

V12addict likes this.
  20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Purple Power cleaner works pretty damn good on anything. Also Flame aluminum wheel cleaner diluted down with water will also work wonders.

V12addict likes this.
  21. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    This is good advice. The aircraft Simple Green is aluminum rated. Though I have not looked in to using it for this application I would see if Super Clean could work as well, that’s a potent but gentle cleaner that can be diluted down quite a bit. Vapor blasting would be fastest and leave the best finished result.