575M | FerrariChat

575M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ianah1975, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianah1975

ianah1975 Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Ian Hunter
    I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on a 575M? It’s a 2002 with an F1 transmission.

Ryan S. likes this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not a model I would consider....I would either go back and get a 550 with a manual or move ahead to a 599 and get a bunch of HP and a Superfast transmission (the best single clutch auto ever).

Texas Forever, Ryan S. and ianah1975 like this.
  3. ianah1975

ianah1975 Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Ian Hunter
    I have some reservations about the F1 transmission. I drove a 2002 360 years ago and was really disappointed with the F1.

Shark01 likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Or you could meet some real opinions from real owners in the 575 section......

Much will depend on what you are looking for - you may not want a beautiful easy to drive fast grand touring car

Maxime Defforey and ianah1975 like this.
  5. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I have an ‘04 575M with F1.
    It is beautiful, fast, flexible and comfortable.
    If 3 pedals is a “must have”, find a 550. If $30-$50K doesn’t matter, find a 599.

LVP488, ifeelfree0 and ianah1975 like this.
  6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Great GT car, Transmission is unrewarding in auto mode. Just shift it with the paddles and you will be happy. gts bruce 2002 formerly owned for 7 yrs

ianah1975 likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Superfast transmission is leagues ahead of the 360 era one. It would be the only single clutch I would buy (sorry Aventador....)

LVP488 and ianah1975 like this.
  8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Would not agree. Currently have the trifecta in the garage: 550, 575, and 599. The 599 F1 was not particularly enjoyable or engaging, so the car has been converted to a gated (first successful private conversion, thanks to the dream team who took it on).

That said, I’ve had the 575 for a bit over a week and find the F1 far more enjoyable that it was in the 599. I’m not sure if it’s because the 575 is smaller and better balanced or because it’s more interactive with regard to throttle accommodation on up/downshifts, but I find myself far more satisfied with the mechanical connection than the 599 or my expectation, having not driven an F1 575 in years.

The 550 is not a 575 without F1. It is a different feeling car with a throttle cable that requires deliberate movement and a generally more classic feel. The 550 is the halo car of the bunch because it’s part of the family, but I’ve found the 575 to exceed my expectations thoroughly. It’s an 04 with FHP and Fabio’s 6-1, mid section, and valved rear boxes... so essentially the best 575 out there; I can’t comment on other spec permutations, but I can tell you not to discount a GOOD 575.

9. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have the same 575 set up and I agree 100%. I had a 599 that I let go because of the same reasons. It felt just like a big fast car and didn’t have the intimacy or looks of the 575. IMHO

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ianah1975 likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Indeed, having owned both simultaneously I can vouch that a 575 is not just a facelifted 550. Much more to it than that, mainly under the skin.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Really funny to read the comments from folks who have no experience with the 575M or 575M with F1. Repeatedly read comments on folks who have driven one F1 Ferrari and been disappointed without ever learning how to use the system.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have an '02 with F1. It's a GT car with some sports car aspects. So if you want a GT with some oomph, it's a good car, if you're looking for a sports car, it will need some changes. Overall it has been a great car to own in my personal experience. The 575 attracts way more attention than I anticipated.

The 575M is my first car with 2 pedals in over a decade and I never thought I'd say this, but I love the F1. Personally, I always leave it in manual mode as I prefer to control the gears and basically drive it like a manual without a clutch. Aside from stop and go or long highway drives I leave it in sport mode. Sport mode makes the shifts harder and even if you're just cruising in traffic will put a smile on your face. At full throttle the shifts are hard (not V12 Lambo egear hard, but hard) and if you have an aftermarket exhaust, the bark while shifting is fantastic. The gearing is short and the factory wheel/tire widths are narrow, with the ASR off it is very easy to initiate tire spin in lower gears.

Negatives: suspension is too soft and needs 25+mm wheel spacers to have proper offset and the stock exhaust is silent. A few minor things that cause annoyances but there is a lot of technical information for repairing them and the overall maintenance for an older V12 car is not bad.

If you want to change it from a GT car to have more of sports car characteristics, it responds well to modifications (suspension/tires/exhaust) as the car is set up very conservatively in stock spec.

Maxime Defforey and ianah1975 like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have owned the 550, 575 F1 and 599 F1 in sequence - the 550 is definitely a slow car by today's standards but it's so old now it does not matter.
    The 575 was a bigger power jump than the spec sheet was telling (only 30hp more officially, but a lot faster in reality) which made the standard suspension and brakes overwhelmed (I did put HGTC suspension and big Brembo brakes on my 575 to solve the shortcomings, and I also had a tailor-made exhaust for a more glorious sound). The F1 system on the 575 is already quite good, there had been continuous improvement after the terrible 355 set-up.
    The 599 is big but for me as a single Ferrari it's the best of the trio - significantly more power and a front mid-engine layout that makes it more precise (the 550 and 575 have the engine basically sitting on the front axle).

Shark01 likes this.
  15. ianah1975

ianah1975 Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Ian Hunter
  16. ianah1975

ianah1975 Rookie

Jan 10, 2016
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Ian Hunter
    Thank you for the listing. Is it unusual to have 13 owners for such a low mileage car? I have a friend that always upgrades his to the next model, but 13 owners seems like a lot.

17. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I own an early 2002 575 F1. My car does not have any upgrades that the later assm. #s have
    I have owned this car for about 10 yrs.
    I cannot attest to the other posts with guys that own 550s and 599s but I have owned a 430 6sp manual gear box . I can tell you my 575 is simply an amazing car. It’s fast, nimble, steering is better then precise. It’s classy and when driving it you don’t look obnoxious .
    I have no regrets what so ever. I doubt you would too.

18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I have had my gated 2002 575M with FHP for 17 years and 105,000 miles; still the only car that I have owned that never gets "old".

-K1- and white out like this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As if the 575 6MT wasn’t rare enough....I should look at the registry to see how many of those had FPH?!? Crazy rare.

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @ianah1975 Ian, I shouldn't have been so daft.....I keep being of the mind that more of us should be advertising or discussing our cars here to offer to members first.....I see you are in Florida but out here in NorCal there is what appears to be a beautiful black 2003 575 owned by @david1175

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2003-ferrari-575m-only-22k-miles-and-fresh-major-dealer-service.615604/#post-147487701

I had texted back and forth with him maybe a month or so ago. Seemed like a reasonable guy. Car looks gorgeous in photos. Mileage is reasonable, modulars, daytonas, a lot to like there......might want to reach out to a fellow F-Chatter? If his number isn't on the posting if you PM/Conversation me I could share it.

I've been on a long term hunt and while I am pretty sure of the specific Maranello I want, I enjoy the hunt and have been helping a few guys behind the scenes. If you have something very specific in mind I can check my spreadsheet for you. All the best -- E .

21. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    agree 100%.

have 04 575 F1 w 85k miles. i think part of the problem is there is a learning curve to driving the F1 that most just don't want to go through. this imo is a result of the combination of the F1 w e-throttle. it does take time to learn how to combine throttle pressure w shift points using the F1. i think most drive with a "digital" foot (abrupt step changes):) which imo doesn't work so well w the e-throttle./F1. i have found driving the F1 with more of an "analog" foot (smooth continuous, no sudden movements) combined w right rpm w shifting results in very satisfying smooth performance. most of these cars have 3-5 owners w less than 10k miles; it takes longer to climb that learning curve than that. i will just say it is tons of fun once you get over learning curve and having driven 575 w gated, actually prefer F1.

Maxime Defforey and contadino like this.
  22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @p1turbo I wonder how many US 575M's have higher mileage. I'll have to do a thread search to see if you have given a list of maintenance and experiences with your car. Generally I love high mileage stories. I recall in my notes that you have what I consider a desirable color black/black with some Carbon from Macarbon (post covid it would be neat to see your car at a bay area car show/gathering).

23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @p1turbo I had forgotten reading about your super high mileage 993 as well (so cool). With all the miles racked up on your two exotics do you drive a lot generally or do you make lots of trips from the Bay Area to one other specific area a lot (Tahoe or LA)?

It would be neat to have a specific area in the overall forum for high mileage drivers to keep mileage counts and share stories.

My youngest brother is 40 and many years ago his ex moved his kids a little over 100 miles away so he regularly crushes 300k every 6 years but he is doing it in the most economical way possible (his 3rd Prius).

24. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    eric

your brother sounds like a great dad. we need more of those.

live in sf...commute silicon valley...and tahoe, napa primarily. 993 turbo has been the workhorse since '98 and yes @ 420K miles....it's a keeper. 575 has been very solid over 12 years. biggest "single" expense was a windshield :)(roughly $7K but insurance paid). mechanically...other than the typical failure points of 575...did replace all four exhaust manifolds as one was bad, creating check engine code so difficult to smog. luck was on my side as those are $$ but managed to find ceramic coated set (all four) off low mileage car for $3K total (i think they run closer to $5k ea if new!). clutch was replaced by prior owner about 20K miles...so now about 65K on it. steering wheel/vent rings/door pulls done by Macarbon (John is an artist, first rate product)...f1 paddles/door kickplates/e brake handle in cf by valence...managed to find oem cf door cards off salvage 575 from australia to complete the cf "parts." they are imo much higher quality than oem cf and have held up great.

cheers

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry, did you say 85k miles or 8500 miles!!!! Gorgeous and that steering wheel....mama mia!

Thanks so much for sharing the photos!

I think Terry @tazandjan has also mentioned he has pieced his carbon interior parts together over time. I'd have to search.....can't recall if Terry's steering wheel has a top center marker on it (which I also like). His gauge panel has that S.A. yellow tach which is also a major "yes please"!