car design thread | Page 459 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Neither Chip Foose nor the Sketch Monkey can beat the Adams Steel redesign! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, VigorousZX and jm2 like this.
  2. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    tritone and energy88 like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    because in the end.......that's how they all end up, or something like that.

4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    First, let's deal with the name. Stellantis (whatever that's supposed to represent) is a way of avoiding the conflict when you stick two different cultures together.
    Europeans are not going to buy a "Chrysler" en mass instead of an Opel or Peugeot, nor are Americans going to do the inverse. I see this merger as a way for PSA to enter the N.A. market without risking bankruptsy; although I must admit that the name brings unpleasant images of Marlon Brando in "Streetcar Nameed desire".

On to Alfa & Maserati; I imagine one of two scenarios unfolding. Stellantis will either promote those brands and exploit the cache' of the brand image, or alterately sell one or both to Ferrari who are best positioned to maximize the value of the brands. I don't see either being killed off.

Me, an optimist; who would have thought?
    must be getting senile...

F1tommy and jm2 like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Moray Callum to retire from Ford Design.
    https://autodesignmagazine.com/en/2021/01/ford-design-moray-callum-to-retire-and-replaced-by-anthony-lo/?fbclid=IwAR1kDrpmjXWtECMv3r3dS3ujJSZmPtvoYYIcf9TkLP2LJxtVx01SOCTJlmk

FORD DESIGN: MORAY CALLUM TO RETIRE AND REPLACED BY ANTHONY LO
    Home/NEWS/FORD DESIGN: MORAY CALLUM TO RETIRE AND REPLACED BY ANTHONY LO

• After a 38-year career, more than half of which has been at Ford, Moray Callum will retire this spring. The global head of design for Ford and Lincoln will be replaced by Anthony Lo, whose last position was as head of exterior design for Renault Group. Callum’s retirement will be effective May 1, allowing a one-month transition for Lo, who will start with Ford on April 1. Like Callum, Lo will report to Hau Thai-Tang, Chief Product Development & Purchasing Officer.

Callum, a native of Scotland, had two tenures with Ford totaling 20 years. His first was from 1995 until 2001, when he joined Mazda in Japan for five years to head that company’s design transformation. At the time, Ford had a partnership with and ownership interest in Mazda. Callum returned to Ford in 2006 as executive director, Design, for the Americas, and was promoted to his current role in 2014. His first association with Ford dated to the late 1980s as a consultant designer at Ghia SpA in Italy. Callum guided development of dozens of concept vehicles, including the Ford Ghia Via and the Aston Martin Lagonda Vignale. He also worked for Chrysler in the United Kingdom and for PSA Peugeot Citroën in France on passenger and commercial vehicles.

Anthony Lo was born in Hong Kong, and after a master’s degree in automotive design from the Royal College of Art in London, he joined Lotus where he was responsible for the design of the Carlton sports car. After experience in Japan with Mercedes-Benz and in Germany with Audi, Lo joined Saab in 2000. From 2004 to 2010, he was Director of Advanced Design at General Motors Europe, overseeing Saab, Opel and Vauxhall projects. The last 10 years of his career were spent at Renault, where he created several successful concept cars, such as Dezir, Captur, R-Space, Frendzy, Twin’Z, Twin’Run and Trezor, as well as production vehicles, such as the current Captur crossover.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Frank talks about how to break into the design industry
    It ain't easy..........

Tenney and anunakki like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    A thought provoking discussion about the design of autonomous vehicles. They'll be here sooner than you think.

tritone, 330 4HL and anunakki like this.
  9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    EDITORIAL FODDER

Buy Design Art at the Detroit Institute of Art? Makes sense to me

Every so often someone says the Detroit Institute of Art, a famous museum with several murals of the Ford factory painted by Mexican Diego Rivera, ought to sell some of the art not displayed in order to meet its $23 million annual revenue.
    In plusher times I would be against it, after all who knows, if they rotate displays, when they might not need one of the Dutch masters in the basement?
    But on the other hand the Museum has been fighting to survive for years and needs money.
    Recently they inaugurated an exhibition on Detroit's car design evolution and in addition to displaying drawings by more than 30 designers, they sold some material related to design at their store, showing there is some demand.
    I'm proposing that they have a retired designer occupy an office there and volunteer to amass leftover drawings from Detroit's Big Three (and even makers that have gone out of business) and have an annual auction to sell hundreds of donated
    works to help keep the Museum going.
    What fan of the Ford GT wouldn't want an original 1962 drawing of the forthcoming GT40? Or solid axle Corvette guy wouldn't want drawings of the SR2, or XP-700 ?
    The catalogue could be issued three months before. If the pandemic is still with us, the whole auction could be conducted online.
    I think it's becoming known by the general public that car designers are no longer drawing as much as they are using computer-generated images. So for the first year of the auction it might be the most prolific in terms of hand drawn drawings on paper..
    One or two prototypes could also be sold, to someone who will guarantee to buy it for show and display and sign an agreement indemnifying an automaker if it doesn't have all the safety equipment required for its year of manufacture. Ford has been donating concept cars to auctions for some years and I don't recall any blowback from that.(Any problem might be with the NHTSA allowing exemptions)
    What say you?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I would like to see a gallery whose singular mission would be to display and sell automotive art. The DIA has the opportunity to tap into all of SE Michigan for funding. They already tax residents of Oakland Co to help with funding. For 70 yrs they ignored any kind of automobile related art. Let them stick to what they’re good at. The traditional fine arts. Painting, sculpture, etc.

Several people have tried to operate art galleries dedicated to automotive and aircraft art, but just couldn’t make a long lasting business case. There was a brief period in the ‘80’s-‘90’s in Rochester,Mich where a former GM designer tried to maintain an automotive art related gallery. He just couldn’t stay in business.

anunakki likes this.
  11. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Amen brother!
    In addition to my design work, I tried to market Automotive Fine Art in the '80s via a home based "gallery" selling auotomotive art with Indigenous art carrying the bulk of sales volume.
    I sold Jay Koka, Wm Motta, Dexter Brown, Bergandi & others. I broke even on the aboriginal art, but I still have much of the AFA I purchased on spec.; it was a total sh*t fest. Even now there are a half dozen companies barely eaking out an existance selling auto art on-line...

After many years engaged in/following this, I have come to the conclusion that the "enthusiast" market is ONLY interested in representational aotomotive art ( I want to see the real car).
    I am still friends with many of the artists I've met over the years, and I don't believe any of them make an adequate income for the work involved in producing their art. :(

anunakki, tritone and jm2 like this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    energy88 and jm2 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #11465 BJK, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    boxerman likes this.
  16. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #11468 BJK, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    colombo2cam likes this.
  19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL, jm2 and colombo2cam like this.
  20. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
    I think the added dimensions are good... just the styling is awful... front vents reminds me of some kind of ugly Pontiac kit. I added Koenigsegg graphics for fun.

jm2 likes this.
  21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Callum's Best: 1993 Aston Martin Lagonda Vignale by Wallace Wyss
    Moray Callum has just retired. During his 30 plus years in the auto industry he worked for several automakers, including for Ghia when Ford owned Ghia. One of his
    assignments there was to envision a luxury four door. Ford also owned Aston so it was not only an experiment for Aston but for Ghia. And to make things even more confusing Ford had bought Vignale Carrozzeria along with Ghia and had to use the name "Vignale" every few years or lose the name so the car was the Aston Martin Ghia Vignale. His design wasn't used other than in concept car but now that 35 years has passed, it's worth looking back to study. Ironically Moray's older brother Ian was also an Aston designer and doing the DB7 at the same time, so it's an interesting exercise in sibling rivalry as well.
    and what in my opinion made the car such a standout.

Ian had it easier in he was designing on a Jaguar XJ platform Moray's

Vignale concept was based upon a big old American platform, the 1990 Lincoln Town Car. The platform was even extended. And while no Lincoln could be ordered with a four speed manual this one had it.

The engine for a high performance brand, wasn't that inspiring, a Ford 4.6-liter DOHC V8 rated at a mere 190bhp. But before you say such measly hp. wasn't "Aston-ish" if it would have been green-lighted, a Jag 5.9-liter V12 (later used for the Vanquish ) would've been under the hood.

The car made its premiere at the 1993 Geneva Motor Show, where you had to see it to realize how big it was--wider with
    a longer wheelbase than the Roll Royce Silver Spirit.

His approach didn't have to beholden to Lagondas of the past, those were forgotten. If anything it seems like an outsize Jaguar Mk. II, One American penchant he got rid of was the extra long overhangs front and rear.

ART DECO INTERIOR

Th art deco-inspired interior was far more tasteful than any Ford, with analine-dyed parchment leather being supplemented by beech wood and aluminum touches, as well as woolen carpet overlays and headlining. While many luxury sedans have stuck to seating for four,
    this one had seating for five, Aston was enthusiastic enough to order two built, one a four seater and one five seater.
    Now normally you can't buy a prototype, at least in recent decades.. But there is such a thing as a Royal request (we don't have royalty in the
    US so it's difficult to gauge how much clout that has) . Suffice to say it's not necessary to meet all the niggles of the law as the Royal has merely to issue a Royal decree to set all that aside, in this case the Royal ordering one was the Sultan of Brunei, who accompanied his request with a check for £1.3m in 1995. He also had some minor design changes he requested, including being built on a smaller Ford platform, new headlights and a a different grille, a Royal color of burgundy paintwork and
    the aforementioned V12 power. One of the earlier two, the one painted Sorrento Blue--was still in Ford's garage until 2002, when it was rolled across the stage at a Christie’s, a fortunate buyer claiming it at at $403,500 over twice the original estimate. . Ford's second prototype though
    had never been road engineered (to be fully drivable) so it was scrapped.
    After all that work, Ford decided the Lagonda name was too obscure in America to revive it and instead put their money on the DB7. So score one for Ian, whose had designed many production Jags while Moray's design disappeared into the fog..
    But methinks the rivalry isn't over. Moray just retired, following his brother's retirement at Jaguar. when Ian retired he had an old Mk.2 fitted out as sort of resto mod, and I think Moray would like to show up in an Aston carrying sort of a modern Mk.2 shape, Of course
    who knows if the Ford-engined one is available now and the Emir isn't known to sell any of his hundreds of special cars.,,but still, Moray,
    we're waiting to see what special car you build for yourself....

Any comments on the design?
    Any good stories about Ford's use or mis-use of Ghia?
    Or about the sibling rivalry? I've met both of them at a Jaguar evening bash at Monterey, they got along good. I have a twin brother so know sibling rivalry.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

VigorousZX and energy88 like this.
  22. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Like everything except those door handles. IMHO, a bit of a distraction but for about 1/2" too large.

23. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    tritone, rmnunez and 330 4HL like this.
  25. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner

not a fan of this; a bit simplistic and, dare I say, bloated. This is a FAR cry from the previous Lagonda by Wm Towns with its Star Wars dash!

I do think Ford followed the overall concept in the form of the S-type tho -

jm2 likes this.