What Hydrogen Needs is its own Elon Musk? Maybe they found one... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Hydrogen Needs is its own Elon Musk? Maybe they found one...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Indeed. That's what I've read as well...T

2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    (Proposed) fusion reactors generally use hydrogen isotopes such as deuterium and tritium. Deuterium has a natural abundance in sea water.

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    But a fusion reactor would still need elemental hydrogen (D2, T2) and not heavy water (D2O, T2O, etc.). So, energy involved in that. Plus tritium is essentially zero natural abundance, so it needs to be made in a nuke reactor.

Hmm. Wonder how much heavy hydrogen fuel it would take per annum to fuel a tokamak. Cool thread!

T

4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #29 m5shiv, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    You can breed more tritium in the tokamak itself using lithium. You would use electrolysis to release deuterium gas from heavy water which is created by chemical exchange. The amount of energy required for electrolysis is orders of magnitude lower than the output energy of the tokamak.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Makes sense. Thanks. This seems interesting.

https://www.iter.org

T

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    .... and may I share the irony of having spent part of the earnings on my investment in PLUG on this gorgeous fossil-fuel-burning ICE vehicle? Sold some shares on Aug 31st, and had this delivered Sept 3rd... Now that's what I'd call a win-win... LOL!
    Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488, NbyNW and m5shiv like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Beauty! What is it?
    T

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    NbyNW and tomc like this.
  9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hey Art. I sat in that one a week or two before you did. :D (It looks like you took care of the wheels).

10. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Following this thread. No opinion yet. Pardon me if any of the below is naive.

As a way to obtain Hydrogen:
    Over 25 years ago I worked on the design for an air separation plant. One of the products was hydrogen. I recall the process was to compress and cool the air so that each component dropped out to liquid as it reached its vaporization temperature. (All were far below zero degrees).

Regarding Hydrogen as a fuel for combustion:
    Can't it just be burnt by combining with the Oxygen in air? By products would be water vapor and whatever impurities were in the air anyway.

Regarding electric cars:
    As others have stated, currently the dirt is not eliminated but only moved from the car's propulsion system to some other central plant.
    Here in NYC we get 40% of our power from Indian Point Nuclear Power Station. I've heard that the rad waste pools are slowly leaking into the Hudson River.
    Almost all of the rest of our electricity comes from fossil fuels.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hydrogen is clean on the burn. The issue is that it's generation, currently from natural gas, is not green. As you said, the point of pollution is changed from a moving to a point source. Theoretically, it should be easier to scrub the greenhouse gases from a fixed source, but I do not know if anyone is doing capture on a large scale.

Separation by cryogenic methods is energy intensive I would guess. Boiling point of hydrogen is -423 F per Wiki compared to -320 F for nitrogen and -297 F for oxygen, the two main components of air.

T

MK1044 likes this.
  12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yeah, I'm not surprised people passed on it - pretty much everything except the body, glass and exterior trim is a mess: The engine bay, suspension, electrical systems need a ton of work. Cheers, - Art

MK1044 likes this.
  13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Electric cars give the possibility of alternate generation methods that don't require fossil fuels. For instance, lots of folks with electric cars have solar panels on their house that produce enough electricity to power the car.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ICE can easily run on bio-ethanol which is not exactly fossil fuel - that has not proved to be very popular though.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think a lot of bio-ethanol is sourced from food crops like corn...T