reversing the high beam switch so up = high beams? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

reversing the high beam switch so up = high beams?

Discussion in '308/328' started by stevel48, Sep 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Actually, Paul is doing an excellent job with 308 wiring issues. Listen to him.

2. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Can someone run through the switch positions. It appears there are 6 possible positions

1 switch up with turned towards you = ?
    2 switch middle turned towards you =?
    3 switch down turned towards You = ?
    4 switch up turned away from you = ?
    5 switch middle a

3. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    5 switch middle turned away = ?
    6 switch down turned away = ?

I have to believe one of these should do parking lights without popping up headlights as well. Anyhow would like to know the 6 positions sequence.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #29 Steve Magnusson, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Depends on the F model and version:

On euro versions, 308QV was the first model where the headlight pods stayed down when only the parking lights are "on". On earlier euro models, the headlight pods go up whenever the parking lights are "on". Later euro F models are like the euro 308QV.

On US versions, 328 was the first model where the headlight pods stayed down when only the parking lights are "on". On earlier US models, the headlight pods go up whenever the parking lights are "on". Later US F models are like the US 328.

If you are interested in how to keep the headlight pods down on a US version 308 when only the parking lights are "on", this thread has more discussion and also discussion about the related flashing issues. The reason for all of this wackiness is they didn't add dedicated front flashing lights until the euro 308QV and the US 328 (and after):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/converting-us-to-euro-flashers.387526/#post-141848686

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I did the mod to keep the buckets down with parking lights on because here in the US nobody uses "flash to pass" Hell, we'll even pass you on the right if it's open. Another thing about American drivers, only women use the horn.

just joking...

6. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    When should I have low beams. I only have headlights when stick position is down and handle is rolled forward. When I put stick in middle or upper I have no headlights. Tks

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What year/model/version Ferrari? Also, are the parking lights "on" (as they should be) whenever the knob is rolled forward (regardless of the stick being up, middle, or down).

8. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Yes parking comes on simply by rolling switch regardless of stick position. I am thinking low beans should be when stick is up. Also seems the stick has a little movement towards the driver but not certain. Maybe to quick flash brights but without low beams hard to tell if that is actually a function or just unnecessary play.

9. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    1983 gtb QV

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What version -- euro or US?

Yes, the stalk is pulled towards the Driver to flash the headlights -- but only works when the headlight pods are up on a US version 308, and the stock wiring is set up to flash the low beams on a 1983, but it's very easy to move one wire to make it flash the high beams (which is what they did on 1984-85 US 308QV). There is no detent when pulling the stalk back to flash so you won't "feel" anything.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Forgot to add -- No, it should be (when the knob is rotated "on"):

Stick (stalk) up = no headlights
    Stick middle = low beams
    Stick down = high beams

(But please give your version, then I can give more accurate instructions for investigating why your low beams aren't working.)

12. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci

13. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    So I guess I am close to normal operation based on your reply’s except never seeing my low beams ever come on. I assume they should come on when you roll the switch and have the stick in upper most position? Or is it the middle position and upper makes them turn off ? Not sure cuz I have no headlights in upper or middle.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Upper position is headlights off.
    Middle position is low beams.

One more time ;) What version is your 1983 308QV?

15. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    You say version, I say fersion, I’m thinking your asking gts vs gtb. Otherwise I am not sure of your ask.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  17. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    US version

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK. IMO, you have an 80% probability of a bad headlight switch, 10% probability of a bad connection somewhere, and a 10% probability of something totally bizarre and wacky ;). My suggestions:

1. Make sure that the two low beam fuses noted in the jpeg are OK.
    2. Make sure that you have a grey wire and a grey-black wire connected to the bottom of those fuses.
    3. Make sure that you have the red wire and the yellow wire connected to the top as shown in the jpeg. (The light blue wire can be as in the jpeg or two places to the right.)
    4. If all of that seems OK, measure the voltage between the metal terminal where the yellow wire is connected and ground when you have the knob rotated "on" and the stalk in the middle position (i.e., the condition where the low beams should be "on"):

If it isn't +12V = bad sign for the headlight switch or its connector/connections.

If it is +12V, but the low beam aren't on = some downstream connection problem, or burned out low beam bulbs.

Good Hunting!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    As someone else mentioned - if you're very careful you can bend the stalk up to get you another 1/2-1" clearance. I'm 6'2" and did this on my 328 which I thought was cheaper than catching the thing on my trousers getting in and out. Unfortunately no pics as I just sold the car by mistake....

20. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    You’re the best! Tks

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad to help if I can. Please let us know what you find and/or have to do to get it working.