328 Water Pump replacement? | FerrariChat

328 Water Pump replacement?

Discussion in '308/328' started by oceanview328, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Normally when I replace accessory belts on older American cars, I'll go ahead and replace the water pump at the same time, while I'm in there. Do you guys do the same thing with 328s? Also, I see that Maranello just has the parts for the pump and not the whole pump (not sure why that would be), which would be super expensive. And, I see that Superformance has a pump for £349.50, and a "Genuine Italian Manufactured Pump" for £129.95. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the cheaper one?

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    The water pump on a 328 is a relatively easy job so no need to do it unless it needs doing IMO.

Its either leaking or its not, the bearing either feels good, or it doesn't (!) and its relatively easy to check.

Lots of indy's use those aftermarket pumps, I have had a couple of them, they have been around for a long time.

The original can also be rebuilt (the aftermarket one cannot). It probably costs more to do it than buying the aftermarket pump though.

Steve Magnusson and oceanview328 like this.
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You can replace it now or when it starts to leak, but you will likely replace it at some point if you own the car long enough. Many replace them when they do the timing belt service.

oceanview328 likes this.
  4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I have had my 328 for just on 11 years and I haven’t replaced my water pump..It’s not leaking nor does the car overheat..
    The car has traveled 24000 miles and I don’t have any record of it being replaced with all the service records that came with it either..
    I’ve probably jinxed myself now though..

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    if you are digging around in there its not that big of a job. I just rebuilt the pump on my 88 mondi cab. No record of when it was done last, wasn't leaking, but I'm doing belts so not that big of a deal to rebuild the pump. The difference in feel (and sound) of the bearings that came out and the ones I put in was noticeable, I'm glad I did it. It doesn't cost that much more to exchange a pump with flying Dutchman (google him) for those who don't want to rebuild the pump personally. Some are easy, some the bearings get siezed and can be troublesome, for a little bit more $ just get one from flying Dutchman plug and play. In the gernal scope of things its a small ticket item to update if you are doing other things in there.

oceanview328 likes this.
  6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I forgot to add, I did buy one of those Aftermarket pumps from Eurospares a couple of years ago but have it with my collection of spare parts.

oceanview328 likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Replacing the water pump with every belt change is a bit of a stretch.

thorn, Saabguy, Rifledriver and 2 others like this.
  8. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks. I've seen his name on here before. I'll look him up! :)

9. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes, I'm seeing that now. I just have to make some adjustments in thinking from what I'm accustomed to.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The cars are not made of crystal. If it required removal of the engine there is some justification but a long history of Ferrari owners being oversold has created a mindset that everything in reach must be replaced every time the car is serviced.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've replaced my accessory belts 1-3 times (depending on the belt) - the pump isn't leaking, and the car isn't overheating. I've not bought and replaced the water pump just for the heck of it.

oceanview328 likes this.
  12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree - the only parts I replace routinely are parts that are on the OEM maintenance schedule. Other parts are replaced if there is an indication of the need to do so. I've always been a "If it aint broke, leave it the F^%# alone!" person; never been a "while you're in there" person so the OEM 1989 water pump is still in place and working fine... ;)

oceanview328 likes this.
  13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I spoke with Superformance when I replaced my pump 8 years ago (the OEM one had been rebuilt once previously but was leaking again after three years of service) about the differences. They just said it was about offering a choice, nothing functionally different. The expensive one I ended up purchasing was manufactured by Capristo (I think it is/was also offered directly by Capristo the exhaust company) stamped on the nicely done pump casting, and the impeller was aluminum (the OEM impeller was brass).

The cheaper unit I believe has a plastic impeller. Probably a less precise casting, some have had casting porosity issues on aftermarket pumps, but I don't recall on Fchat any complaint on the Superformance offering. I have had 8 years of trouble free service on my pump, so I can't complain about cost.

oceanview328 likes this.
  14. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you.

15. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    And just like that I jinxed myself,,
    Took the car out this morning and could smell coolant..
    Found coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole..
    Lucky I have the spare on the shelf..

Just wondering if anyone knows, Can the pumps be removed without removing the thermostat housing assembly?

16. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Pump not pumps

17. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Yes, the pump can be removed without removing the entire thermostat housing assembly.

By the way, if you need a new pump I have a freshly rebuilt one with the more modern single piece seal for sale in the classifieds. It comes with a new 328/308QV pulley.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

maurice70 likes this.
  18. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    maurice70 likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Technically you can remove the pump without taking out the whole thing. In practice, the pump tends to be corroded to the housing to the point where you have to take it to a bench vise and get physical with it to separate the pieces.

maurice70 likes this.
  20. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Ettore and Mitchell,
    I tried doing it the easy way but as you pointed out Mitchell, the stud corrosion was a bit stubborn but did come off easily enough with the whole assembly on the bench..

Thanks Ettore for the offer,, I already had a spare pump.

Another question if I may,, I searched the Forum but couldn’t find any information regarding the O ring that is located on the back of the housing..
    Is this a Ferrari specific O ring or is it a generic off the shelf O ring?

Thanks

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might find using one of those flexy hose clip socket tools makes life a lot easier when fitting the hose clips

22. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Mike I have two of them in 1/4”..

Still wanting to know about the O ring

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I did one on a mondial but cant remember. I do remember putting the hoses on the wrong bit and having to start again. You either put the hoses on the engine or the pump first, i did it wrong. Stainless hose clips are better as my oem ones had rusted solid and had to be cut to get them off. Most O rings are fine for hot water so if it fits its fine.
    hose clip sockets are 7 mm in the top half of the world, you must be reading it upside down again.

maurice70 likes this.
  24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Re-use the orange with a smear with silicone

maurice70 likes this.
  25. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    My guess is that you could find an off the shelf version that would work just fine if you had the dimensions. Unfortunately I don't have one in hand to measure for you. The Ferrari part number is 105196.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy and maurice70 like this.