430 how long do they last | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 how long do they last

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferraridreamer32, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    My 2006 430 Spider has 45k miles. But that’s only part of the story...
    I’m only the second owner and I have every service record since the car was new. It’s driven regularly and serviced regularly. I’d rather have this car than a 20k mile example with 5 owners and no records that sits in the garage most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I have a 430 for about a year as well. Same thing.....just gas bills!

3. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    First thing to realize, it’s a machine. If you take care of it will last a long time. How long? Who knows? Look at the car(s) you have now, how do you take care of them? When was the last time you had an annual service done on them, how about a major service? Are you prepared to spend $1,500 or more each year on the car, how about $5,000 for a major?

Next thing, be prepared to drive the car, do not let it sit. By driving I mean drive the car, so it gets hot, not lukewarm. It has been my experience that Ferrari’s drive better when hot. You have to experience it to believe it.

Since you are thinking about a 430, you are going to be looking for a car that will be seventeen to twelve years old. A car owned by one person, or God know how many. You want to know how this person, or persons, took care of the car, or did they take care of the car. You want a car that has been cared for, like SCKOMS says above. Records from birth to now. Car owners with complete records usually have cared for the car well. Those with few records or no records is a big flashing red light. Stay away from a car like that. Good advice, but I did not take it. I knew going into the purchase of the 2001 360 I was buying; I would have problems. Like they say, beauty is only skin deep. The cost to fix my car, and the low cost I paid for it, brought the total cost up to about what a sorted car would cost, and I knew what had been done to it.

If a car has high miles (what ever that is) do not be afraid of that. Mine now has 48K, but I have all the records of what I have had done to the car. Look for that in any Ferrari you are looking at. Pay attention to low mileage cars. Case in point. A 2007 430 for sale, with 14,000 miles. That car is 14 years old. Divide 14K by 14 you get about 1,000 miles per year, or about 83 miles per month. I have seen monthly figures as low as 30 miles per month. As one mechanic told me, the fluids and rubber parts in a Ferrari are not like wine, they do not get better with age in a stationary Ferrari.

As for your question, “How long do they last.”

Why do you care?

As long as it out last you, which is possible, that should be your goal. And enjoy driving the car.

The only people who care how long my 360 last, are my son and his three sisters. Once I am gone; they care who gets the car.

I doubt if any of the guys who answered you post think about how long their car is going to last. What they care about like me, is when I go out to my garage there is red 360 (or 430 in your case) hood facing me with that yellow badge on it. When I sit in it, there is that yellow badge in the middle of the steering wheel, I smile and think this is my Ferrari, I turn the key it plays sweet music, I back out of the garage and wake up any neighbors who might be asleep, then say a short prayer to God that no one is on the freeway onramp, when I start up it, thank you God you heard me, even better God has put a semi in the slow lane and he is blocking traffic, can I beat the truck, HA, does chicken have feathers? By the time I shift out of 4th to 5th the speedometer is in triple digits, and you can bet I and all the guys above are not thinking about how long our car is going last.

4. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I bought my 05 with less than 300 miles on it. It’s been fine except these three things that have bothered me.
    First, was all the sticky interior parts.
    This issue is something that had been an issue for years and Ferrari never did anything to fix it or pay for cars they sold to get fixed. Like a recall. I don’t understand how some people have cars and it doesn’t happen ??? My car’s been in a garage with heat and ac it’s whole life.
    Second is the F1 gearbox and all its issues. Again, some people never have a problem. I’ve had issues twice. Having the actuator rebuilt was a hard nut to swallow. Again, a Ferrari issue that could have been a recall since they’ve been correcting/updating them for years. I’m not an expert, but that’s what I’ve read.
    Third, the gearbox control panel REVERSE switch/button. My 2005 has a “Jaeger” version. My understanding is that they were problematic and so they changed to a “Digitek” version. Again, why no recall or warranty ???
    Other than that, the car’s been great for me for 15 years.
    Oh, and I’ve never had a car that the headliner falls down on you !!!

cole328 likes this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I’ve had my 2009 almost a year. It’s got 14000 miles on it now,I put on 1000 of them.
    When I got it the drivers mirror was loose, which was an easy fix and did it myself. I learned how to do all the service and saved a ton of money and had fun doing it. I’ve only put gas in it and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

armedferret likes this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    What a simple post… But one of the most accurate and best ones I have read in a while!

have an 07 spider, 22k miles ( 3k from me in two years) and I feel exactly the same as you. Only question I ask, is .....when/if do you trade up to a 458 or 488 just to get some of that new technology and that hard roof? Or, would you answer be never? I am honestly sitting on the fence. Part of it is ego, as I want newer because newer must be better, but then part of me thinks let all the super rich guys have the newer ones, and then in 5-7 years, I repeat the current cycle I am in right now......

day355 likes this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    What do you think this guy is thinking about............ That's a F430 engine, btw

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ceb39 likes this.
  8. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is so brilliantly put!!!

Kevin

NMNMNMN likes this.
  9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    As Jay Leno says....

Porsche owners brag about how many miles are on their cars,

whilst Ferrari owners brag about how few miles are on their cars.

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Not me !… I drive this puppy as often as I can. As others have said, it’s already flattened out on depreciation , I maintain it religiously, can I think the more I drive at the better it drives

NMNMNMN and Husker like this.
  11. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    My trading up limit is blocked by my wife and her desire for a bathroom remodel. So I will have to be happy with the 360.

cole328 likes this.
  12. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Thank you.

13. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Just checking in to find out if FERRARI DREAMER32 has bought his 430 yet. What's up?

As for my 360, it has gone into the shop for it's annual service, plus a fix of the right door handle. My wife has trouble opening it, and closing it.
    As a wise man once said. Happy wife, happy life. So the door gets fixed.

Also, as you in California know, we are suppose to get lots of rain this week. Which means this will be the first time I will be driving the 360 in the rain.
    Will let you know if it melts. Wonder if my insurance covers melted Ferrari's.

Also, thank you for all the compliments related to my prior post.

Also want to congratulate who ever won those two big lotteries. I had plans on spending those piles of cash, and get the economy going.
    So you guys who had those two 612s and 430s I saw will have to wait a bit more.

I wonder how long I have to last, until I win?

Take care, and stay safe.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I bought a 360 with 39,XXX miles on it from a fellow F-chatter, with service records sufficient to impress the queen mother. The thing has been cared for like it was an aircraft.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    LOL I was also talking to the guy about this car. The timing wasn't right (like we are talking a week) but I think it was a good car. I bought the other car I was looking at (it was in Raleigh) which is more than double the miles! (I am now pushing on 47k). Went out for a quick drive yesterday which turned into a 2 hour drive because it is truly the most fun car I have ever owned. This one is very similar with full exhaust, but it was really meticulously maintained.

BTW it's also on H&R springs and I absolutely love them. It's really low and so it scrapes some, but god the front end is soooooo responsive, it's totally worth it. And the steering. Highly recommended.