430 - Hypothetical Question - DCT Swap into F430, possible? | FerrariChat

430 Hypothetical Question - DCT Swap into F430, possible?

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'd ask that fellow Fchatters to please stick to the question and refrain from veering into whether it should be done; I can already foresee those comments quickly derailing this thread.

The question is whether it is possible to mate something like the 458 DCT transmission to the F430, and what it might require (or challenges involved). I can't imagine there would be too many differences as far matching hardware goes, but that's just my assumption. There's probably more to it, but that's why I'm posing the question.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

janmante likes this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m sure it can be done, A fellow installed a supercharged coyote engine in a 1993 Ford Mustang cobra w an aftermarket dct w flappy paddles for drifting and I believe sema. I suspect you are talking big. $$$

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I did a light search and came up with garagewhifbitz.co.uk . They apparently successfully installed one in a Supra and claim they can install one in any rear wheel drive car.

It is big money, but that's relative. Let's say it's doable for $25k. The difference between getting a F430 and a 458 is easily $50k plus tax for the low end (possibe maintenance surprises). You could keep the analog F430, modernize the weak sport (transmission) for less than the cost of the 458. I like my current car, color combo and everything, however there are two major things that make me itch for the 458; it's the way it shifts (feels/sounds raucous like an F1), and its sound approaching 9k RPMS. It is quite possible that between a DCT swap and an ECU tune I could get those things. The question is how much would it cost, and whether the effort is worth it.

This would only be good for someone who wants to keep the car for a long time. Obviously, you'd never get your money back when it's time to sell.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You are not going to duplicate the sound of a 458 with an F430 with a transaxle change.

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I agree, it's only a minor step in the direction. I just remembered how quick the changes were at WOT, combined with the sounds. Hard to describe in words the combination. It's specific to the 458. Didn't get the same vibes from a quick test drive of the F8. My thought process was that both are naturally aspirated, high-revving, flat plane crank engines. Yes mine is a 4.3, and the 458 has a 4.5, but shouldn't they be close enough to be able to replicate the higher performing one?

The sounds can be worked on in a combination of other steps. Is it not possible to gain the extra 500 RPM from an ECU update? That with the DCT, and maybe an x-pipe? I already have the Fabspeed headers on.

Anyway, along with the "emotion" side of things, I'd imagine a DCT would provide at least 100k of trouble free miles. No worrying about the clutch, F1 pumps, inclines and declines, etc. etc. A reliable V8, with a reliable DCT, on an otherwise analog body.

Listen to the Supra with the conversion.

janmante likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Might as well just swap the entire drive-train including engine. Probably the easiest way to do it if you are made of money. Back in the day there was a 250 GT Lusso with a 275 GTB/4 engine in it, likely swapped back to a SOHC engine by now.

brogenville likes this.
  7. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just what I was thinking

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If you look at how they claim to do it, they take a BMW/Getrag DCT box and add some adapters to allow attaching / adapting the gearbox to the engine (and additionally some ECU rework is needed).
    The BMW/Getrag box is supposed to be possible to source used, at a reasonable price.
    Probably for an F430 you'd want a Ferrari 458 box - so that even before you go for the necessary adaptations, you already spend a lot of money, making the case for simply swapping the F430 for a 458.

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

The 458 motor by itself (based on a quick ebay search) is at least $20,000. If both were about $30k, I'd consider it; but realistically it would be probably $50k. The total cost of the value of my F430 plus conversion parts would have to be considerably less than the cost of the 458 (which I know is subjective). The way I see it, my sorted car is worth roughly $90-95k optimistically. A rough condition 458 is worth roughly $165k. That's a 60-70k spread. Could be a down payment on an investment property. Up to a $30k cost I'd consider it possibly worthwhile. If it gets to a total cost crosses north of $130k, at that point, why not go for the 458.

@LVP488 - Good point. When I originally posted this question, I didn't know if it was even possible. Looks like the answer is yes it is possible. The next questions is what would be a reasonable estimate to do the work and parts necessary. Then do a cost benefit analysis.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have to remember the software connections between the Motronic ECUs, the TCU and the transaxle. Would take some time and effort to sort. Not really feasible unless you are filthy rich and cost is no object or you are an expert tech with a software expert friend.

11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Great point, I think this is the area I was mostly concerned about. Hardware, not so hard to figure out. Making sure the electronics are correct and communicate with each other is the bigger concern; especially since improved reliability is part of the business case for this.

janmante likes this.