1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 Berlinetta Exhaust Woes, Tubi Too Quiet!

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The Nouvalari is inexpensive - I got a quote of just $1600 recently. Seems like a great way to go, with that price and especially as several people have changed out their Capristo to fit one. Honestly I don't mind spending money on my car at all, but mufflers that cost in the $5000 range don't make it feel like I'm exactly scoring a deal. Or I might still take that route and pick up one of the Japanese systems, maybe the Kreissieg.. But those are straight piped when the valve opens.. sounds cool on YouTube but that might get tiring real quick.

2. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Wait, what? People are removing capristos for nouvalari? I’m struggling (Mentally) with the $1700~ price diff between the Tubi evolution and Capristo. $1600 seems like a “steal”.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Kreissieg sound better than all the others by a fair bit and yes I suspect the straight piped open valve would get old mighty quick.

4. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    So after consideration all weekend i ordered the Nouvolari Super Sport System today, should have it soon, for the money it just makes sense i rather spend up on the Tubi headers instead of dumping $5500 on a rear muffler right now that i honestly can not hear much of a difference with the Nouvolari and Capristo. Hope I like it otherwise someone will get a killer take off deal ha ha ha

lanab likes this.
  5. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    This advice might not be as glamorous as telling you to spend thousands on the latest hot exhaust hardware, but follow it anyway:

1) Replace all your vacuum lines...might cost you $25.00 if you by the "best" tubing.
    2) Check the vacuum accumulator for leaks.
    3) Replace your solenoids; Part Number 159176 (complete...2 solenoids plus mounting plate). The actuators wear out and slow down over time. Get it out of the way and you'll never have to replace again. New solenoids give you a nice "snappy" opening of the Bypass. All Ferrari Parts has the kit for $95.00 plus shipping.

MAD828 likes this.
  6. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #56 lanab, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    I have not fitted Capristo but a friend of mine bought a level 1 system from them last year, i wanted more F1 scream, for the price difference i could get new headers as well almost.

Talk to Richard at [email protected]
    I bought mine directly from them here in Europe.

I have no complaint when it comes to the materials and such, it's a fine piece of art like Capristo,Tubi etc...also have their 200-cells Hyperflow cats to fit later, running Tubi test-pipes right now.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My hearing must be shot :).

I have a 95. I have a Cap 2.. had a Cap 3. I can't tell the difference on the low end. Top end seems the same. I have OEM headers, test pipes, stock Y-pipe and I drive with the valve wired open. The f1 sound is pretty good and clean, but actually not loud enough for me. I need it to be epic when I get in the car. Not just tunnel epic. Like... waking up city of Los Angeles at 2 am epic. Her name is NiteTrain for a reason :). I need a straight Y-pipe for the finishing touch. My car is due for an engine out, so I don't really drive it anymore. Just restoring it as best I can before doing the service and getting it back on the road.

For these reasons, I chose Capristo over Nouvalari, but I'm a bit on the crazy side :). $5500 for a muffler is quite a bit to spend. I think it's well worth $3-4k. Capristo should run a lil over $4k new. Check your sources gentlemen.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What I am curious about is if there is a sound/volume difference between Tubi headers and OE headers.

9. E55amg9965

E55amg9965 Karting

Jun 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Joe

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I have a '95 that came from NY so no cats & an XOST exhaust. Stock headers & stock Y valve. It's raw and loud. Wife isn't very happy about it.
    I love first thing out the burbling as she warms up.
    I can't resist blipping the throttle under an overpass.
    I've been meaning to 1) Put a vacuum gauge on the "Y" to see if it actually opens at the posted revs/gear
    2) Record the sound.
    I missed my recording opportunity going through the midtown tunnel & others during the big corona shutdowns where police activity was light.
    Your profile says NY so if your not too far away, we can meet & you can see if the sound from my spyder is something your looking for

11. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For those that want to hear the Nouvalari, I made a few videos and put them in my Major thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147288271/
    Tubi headers, primary cat bypass pipes, Nouvalari SuperSport muffler. OEM y-pipe.

I removed the Capristo and installed this and am happy with the choice. It sounds much better with the bypass closed than the Capristo, though it does give up some top-end scream by comparison with the bypass open.
    All about personal preferences...

Oz-ATL and lanab like this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Capristo 2 and straight Y-Pipe. Courtesy of James.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  14. E55amg9965

E55amg9965 Karting

Jun 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just
    i recently purchased the nouvolari super sport system but yet to install it,I have fabspeed headers with gutted factory cats with first generation tubi and just doesn’t sound right,I hope this helps.also I was wondering would high flow cats quiet it down a bit?

15. E55amg9965

E55amg9965 Karting

Jun 13, 2012
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Joe
    On my 97 f355 Does anyone know if high flow cats vs gutted factory cats would quiet the car down and elimate drone aswell,

16. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Yes having proper cats would probably help. Gutted cats could be acting as resonating chambers and sound unpleasant.

Looks like a couple people are switching out old 1st gen Tubis for Nouvalari, interested in your impressions!

17. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
  18. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
  19. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    That system looks fantastic, great design. Although not sure about the tail pipes, is that a fake pipe in each side?
    Its a shame its stainless appearance is going to be changed by the coating.

20. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #70 lanab, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    I can agree with the booming sound with the Nouvalari SS at certain lower rpms.

I have lived with this exhaust now and it's a true F1 racing sound in full glory, no question about it but i have a huge problems with my ears as i have tinnitus and full air lock like you been on a flight going down for landing in high pressure after every time I have driven it, it's really annoying, which means i need to find a exhaust with less noise and don't want to go back to the original heavy crap exhaust.

How is the level 2 option of the Larini GT2? is it as boomy?

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i will have a tubi for sale soon (off my 95 gtb) as i just bought an evolution. the exhaust has under 5k miles, if anyone wants one. let's say $2k.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We haven’t received our Larini parts yet due to Rona delays.

23. revolutionf355

revolutionf355 Karting

Apr 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    W
    I have race race headers , no cats and mille miglia sounds amazing

24. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    What are race, race headers?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    For the guys running test pipes, how do you keep the fumes out of the car?

I’ve got Tubi headers and a fabspeed exhaust. I ran Tubi test pipes for about 100 miles after my major and every time I drove it, I reeked of fumes when I got home.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat