Respray | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Respray

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kryten2001, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I had my 355 detailed over a couple of days a few years ago the guy measured the paint depth.
    It was quite thick. We went outside and randomly measured the paint on several other cars parked in the street.
    The Ferrari had the thickest by quite some margin. Only the BMW I had at the time was close and I think the Ferrari was still thicker.

Having said that, the quality of the paintwork is pretty ordinary in places.
    I've had a couple of panels done during my ownership.
    Maybe just do the bits that really need it.

2. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Clean it and drive it as much as possible, we only come this way once

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds like a plan man. :)

And speaking of black paint, there is a guy in the UK that paints exotic cars. He is THE MAN to go to if you want possibly the best paint job in the world. :D

He would have around 50 years of experience now and works alone. He is a one man show and he doesn't **** around, one car after the other he gets them all done.

I will try and find some pics on my computer and post them here. He painted a FerrariChat members Nero 348TB around 10 years ago now and straight off the gun, the paint looked like glass.

The BEST black paint I have ever seen, it looked amazing. The owner Sy told me that because it was that perfect straight off the gun, there was no need by the painter to cut it back to get rid of the swirl marks, imperfections in the paint etc, it was that good.

I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked from all the pics he sent me of many different angles under sunlight also which is rare in the UK lol. Nero Daytona Metallico was the paint code from memory, very metallic and very nice on his car.

If I find these pics I will post them up. :)

kryten2001 likes this.
  4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

This ^^^

You have all seen what happened to that poor couple walking their dogs in Brisbane. :(

Anything can happen, you only live once, so spend up, drive hard and enjoy my friends.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you didn't have me on ignore you'd have seen my previous post about the cost. OLIO

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Jeez I would have thought $25k miniumum these days; no basis for it except I didn’t think $10k got you much in a bodyshop these days...

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I am starting to think $50K to fully respray a Ferrari now Kaz! Lol :eek:

From some of the quotes I am seeing in that Crewman Facebook group I am starting to think that most paint shop owners have finally fried their brains from all the paint fumes and thinners!!! :eek:

$15K closed door resprays to $25K open door full resprays!!! This was mentioned a few times from owners in that group from paint shops in NSW and VIC.

It's just a BIG Commodore ute FFS!! :eek:

I better find out where that lady paid $6000 to have her car fully resprayed and I am going to book mine in before the paint shop owner fries his brain and triples his quotes. :p

Here is a pic of the $6000 re-painted Crewman.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

You're not on my ignore list, but your reply "YES" wasn't exactly answering my question.

OLIO indeed

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It exactly answered your question about the cost

Ferraridoc likes this.
  10. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Your definition of what "exactly" means differs a bit from mine I'm afraid.

At best, your answer only roughly answered part of my question.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ferraridoc likes this.
  12. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fair enough then.

14. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Why on earth are you asking how much to paint your car, on a forum?? No one knows the condition of your car’s paint and to be honest, no quality paint and panel shop will touch it unless they take it back to metal. They dont know what’s underneath and will generally only warranty their work if they do it from base. Take it to a panel shop and get them to give you an idea of what to budget for. Less than 10k? Pfft.
    It’s the old saying
    Fast, Cheap, Good. Pick any two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maranello550, MAD828 and Ferraridoc like this.
  15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    A paint job in Melbourne or Sydney that looks good in photos can be had for about $10K.

A paint job that looks good from across the road, about $20K. This is equivalent to Ferrari factory paint, which is usually rubbish when you get up close, but good enough, especially if you're putting a film over it. There'll be sink marks, sanding marks and uneven depth.

A show quality job is minimum $40K and I've seen people spend $100K.

It's all about the preparation and it takes a lot of skill and time to strip, repair and sand a car perfectly, then paint it without imperfections. Then there's the dismantling and reassembly of lights, glass, badges, trim, etc. It's all dirty and unpleasant work and very hard to eliminate the dust afterwards if the interior and mechanicals have been left in the car.

PAP 348, Maranello550, MAD828 and 4 others like this.
  16. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    [QUOTE="Gizzi, post: 147701117, member: 112113", no quality paint and panel shop will touch it unless they take it back to metal. They dont know what’s underneath [/QUOTE]
    All the more reason to leave it as , if you can live with the current paint.

knocker likes this.
  17. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

If you read my question (as others also should), I was not only asking for approximations but also people's experiences.

So why on earth am I asking this on a car forum? Err, because it's a car forum? At least I thought it was.

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  18. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Thanks for taking the time to reply IanB. I appreciate it.

See others, not that hard now, was it?

DMWC and Arvin Grajau like this.
  19. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hey! I said $40-$50k

Maranello550 and kryten2001 like this.
  20. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    They're all dickheads here mate, I knew exactly what you were after and when you said $10-20K and aircon said yes that would be about right as he had his 355 painted when the engine was out so just leave $20k aside if you ever want to do it soon.

Personally I prefer to just drive mine as much as I can and just make sure the paint protects the panels with a good exterior appearance ..... ATEOTD paint is only there to protect the metal :)

knocker and kryten2001 like this.
  21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    No one believes you because "you're loaded " :p

Arvin Grajau and greg246 like this.
  22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    GFY

Has Ian had a 355 painted?
    No?
    Didn't think so
    Have I?
    Oh goodness.... I have!

Take the information from whomever you like.

23. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

So with all your wisdom and experience, you may have taken the time to answer my question in respects to cost costs/experiences rather than a one word reply to ultimately tell me to GFM.

You got some anger issues you need to sort out mate, or are you just on here to pick fights with people who you feel are inferior?

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No. I'm here to pick fights with everyone.

Oh... Was the question rhetorical?

25. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Truth is he got his 50k paint job for material costs only ............Albanians on the run work for zip.

Steve355F1 and greg246 like this.