F8 - Ferrari Allocation Process - F8 Tributo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Ferrari Allocation Process - F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Level7, Jan 21, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Unfortunately the dealers are not the most reliable source. They are salespeople and want to get your deposit. Jwootson story is pretty typical from my experience. Time will ultimately tell and If you get your car this summer it will be awesome and you can enjoy it. If it takes 18 months once you get past the frustration the anticipation will grow and once it arrives it will be that much sweeter. Keep us Informed.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When we toured the factory there was a guy who was told by his dealer that the car was near the end of production. He gave the tour guide his VIN and asked her if she could find the car for him. She gave the info to someone and later that person came back and said the car wasn't there and was somewhere on its way to the US.

I said you can order a $20 item from Amazon. The day it is scheduled to be delivered you can click on the tracking number and see a map of your town. On the map will be a dot showing you the street the truck is on and how many stops it has before it gets to your house. And with each refresh you see where it is and now how many stops.

You order a $350,000 Ferrari and they don't know where the hell it is! :D

Rick Weston, D11, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I spec'd and put a deposit on my coupe in August. I received my final completion pic (the third one) and my VIN a couple of weeks ago. I was told my car is on its way here, and to expect it to be in the US on or around the end of month. If it arrives by mid-February, that'll be 6-months from beginning to end. I guess we'll see.

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. Jwootson

Jwootson Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    justin wootson
    I am a first time buyer as well. I was expecting some type of unique treatment for that but I was sadly mistaken lol. I came to this forum just like you did trying to get an idea of what to expect and oh boy did I get a lot of information that I didn’t want to hear. It is what it is if you want a new ferrari. You can’t bypass it for the most part just go along with the long frustrating ride until they contact you and tell you it’s there. Dealers will be dealers and from what I’ve been through and read on this forum they pretty much will tell you what you want to hear to get your deposit or to get you off the phone with some kind of sense of relief.

5. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Hopefully these are my final F8 Tributo option questions - thanks in advance for the help and clarifications:

1. BRAD - Back Radar - is this an option (price is $2,767)? Or is it mandatory and a N/C? Is is perhaps mandatory for CA and an option for all other states?
    2. MIR3 - Electrochromic Mirror - is this an option (price of $1,350)? Or is it mandatory and a N/C? Is is perhaps mandatory for CA and an option for all other states?
    3. CTU4 - Leather Central Tunnel - Price is $1,012.00. If not leather is the central tunnel covered with carpet as the N/C base?
    4. ULEZ - Upper Part Colored Leather - I believe this option is the interior underside of the roof - in leather. Please verify.
    5. CLDT - Colored Inner Details - $1,181 - what is this option? What are the colored details? What colors?

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Why not ask your dealer to explain and show you the options ? the dealer configurator is much better than the on-line version and also with the cars in the showroom too . Sales loves to make the sale. You will also develop a relationship with the salesperson—a good foundation going forward.

jm2 and GT2goneF like this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    It is a sales proposition. If they are over subscribed what can they do? If you don’t understand the process, it isn’t a bad opportunity to ask some questions and become knowledgeable. Waiting is pretty much a part of the experience since the production volumes are so low. We all tend to take things personally esp if we are not familiar with the experience

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think it is too easy to throw the dealer under the bus. They are not in control, not in the drivers seat. A lot of people say they want to buy a popular new Ferrari. Some are just actors. Some are flippers. Some are new to the brand and won’t actually pull the trigger or drop out due to frustration and huge egos. And then there are us, the tragically devoted who are smitten by beautiful lines, design, and the thrill of driving something with a glorious past and something which captures a dream.

9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Welcome to the Ferrari S&M Experience!

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If a newbie can get an F8 in 6 months, this reflects weakeness in the global economy and perhaps some chinks in Ferraris new marketing strategy with more new models and an expansion of its sales projections. RACE stock trades at a 4- fold multiple of its IPO offering.
    Not too long ago, the wait-list for cars was two years and after market flippers margins were 1/3 of MSRP.

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #36 GT2goneF, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    I addressed this with my view several months ago. I think that with the quick adoption of EV and the unexpected ICE era seemingly coming to an end and fast. Ferrari (and maybe others in the same hierarchy) did not take this seriously and therefore got hit in the head when it finally sunk in; that they were not prepared. Ferrari isn't known for anything Electric. They have very little experience with Hybrid, when Toyota already had 23 years (Fall 1997) of experience with Hybrid technology with their launch of the Prius. We (or most) all laughed and said we would not be caught dead in one, myself included. Fiskar and others came and failed until Tesla succeeded by making an iPad on wheels. Even Tesla, which is a relatively new company has 13 years (spring 2008) of experience. Nobody predicted this would stick the way it did. I know I didn't. Ferrari bet on their brand, enthusiasts and engines and seemingly didn't care to make strides in the hybrid technology. It took them 7 years after Tesla and 16 years after Toyota to create their first hybrid (La Ferrari) and it was a "limited" hybrid. Fast forward 2021, they are behind in the EV industry. Maybe they don't want to be in the EV industry. May they be trying to squeeze out every model they can before their time is up? Who would like a fully electric Ferrari. Call me old, call me living in the past. Call me a dinosaur. Call me a nay sayer of new technology. (I am not attracted to EV and never will and it isn't as "clean" and everybody thinks or they portray it. It a just a new and well marketed business with a ton of money behind it). How different would an all electric Ferrari be from a luxurious electric Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Rímac, or even Toyota? What would you have to show for it? A nice design, nice leather interior, computer gimmicks? That it wil be fast? All of them will be fast. It is an electric soul less motor. The only thing that will remain special to them is the CR badge. So technically, Ferrari won't be special anymore because they are set aside by their engine and sound (which can still be rescued). Many other cars have their prototypes of luxury fully electric vehicles with very nice designs, interiors and loaded with computerized gimmicks and technology. So in my opinion, with the end of ICE, Ferrari days may be over as we know it. They are just waiting until our generation dies and all of our cars will be "book burned".

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #37 wrs, Jan 27, 2021
    Hey you new buyers, you wouldn't even have been allowed to place a deposit a few years ago without having first bought a used model or a new one from the low end of the line, just saying. That was my experience with Ferrari when I first started kicking tires in 2015. This is the first mid-engine car that Ferrari is allowing first time buyers to order, normally they wouldn't do that. Not to say that first time buyers never got to place an order in the past but mostly, a first time buyer could get a "new" car only if they paid over MSRP for a low mileage model year car. These were flipped cars that would have around 100 miles on them vs. 30 to 50 which are delivery miles.

Now if you wanted the Cali T or Portofino then you could place a deposit, no problem. That was the preferred entrance to buying the rest of the lineup.

RayJohns likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you ever tried to have a serious relationship with a woman who is single, busy with work and has a lot of guys constantly texting her for booty calls?

The Ferrari allocation process is very similar.

Ray

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Why not just walk in and buy something already on the floor, such as the 458 or 812 or something?

Being a first time Ferrari owner, that might be a better route and give you a better feeling for what Ferrari really is all about. Personally, I sort of feel like people who buy the 488 or F8 as their first car are sort of missing out on a lot of what Ferrari actually is. No offense to current first time buyers, but a lot of what makes the Ferrari so amazing is the NA motor; jumping into the pool for the first time with a turbo charged V8 with a bunch of smog stuff on it is sort of like going to In-n-Out for the first time and ordering a grilled cheese instead of a double-double.

Ray

MalibuGuy likes this.
  15. Divexxtreme

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #40 Divexxtreme, Jan 27, 2021
    Of course if I had run into that, I simply would not have bought a new Ferrari. I would have went used, or stuck with Lambo, Mac or Porsche. These are nice cars and all, but I definitely would not have sprung for a lower model simply for the "privilege" to own a new higher-end model.

D11 and GT2goneF like this.
  16. Divexxtreme

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Of course, I would say that's personal preference. I personally don't like N/A cars. I even stuck turbos on my Huracan for this reason. There simply aren't any N/A Ferraris that I'd be interested in owning.

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Realistically, by the time you receive your F8 it will be phased out by the next model. Ideally, you want to build a relationship with a dealer and get to the front of the line, otherwise you'll always be wearing hand-me-downs and taking a big hit on value. Ferrari is currently in the process of ramping up production and increasing their different models from what I've read; this means new models are coming down the line. If you aren't careful, by the time your F8 arrives, the dealer will be taking deposits on the next hot model and there will be a sea of used / consigned F8's for sale at well under MSRP on the day your car arrives. This happened with the 488 to some degree and I think with late delivery F8's it could be worse.

Just be aware of how the game works so you don't end up taking a $50K hit on a brand new car when it arrives.

Ray

mkraft3003, GT2goneF and wrs like this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    To each their own.

I like forced induction also, but not to that extent.

Ray

Divexxtreme likes this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #44 wrs, Jan 27, 2021
    My first Ferrari was a new one that I didn't order(someone else did and didn't take delivery). It was a 2017 Cali T HS and I got credit with the factory for the new purchase and they told me I could order the 488 Spider in 6 months but I really liked the Cali T HS and decided to keep it. A year later, I decided not to order the 488 Spider but instead buy a flipped one with 100 miles for a small premium in May 2018. No credit for buying a new one there but I bought my wife a new Portofino in Dec 2019, it was a dealer spec on the floor so no order process there. About a week after that I finally ordered a new car from Ferrari. I ordered the 812 on Jan 2 2020 and it arrived Mar 31 2020. So there are plenty of ways to get a new Ferrari without ordering.

ChrisDiRe and Divexxtreme like this.
  20. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I recall it was quite publicised that Ferrari wanted a high percentage of F8’s to go to new blood in the brand.

Pista was also supposedly produced in higher numbers to pacify existing customers that would not be first in line for the new v8 model.

Couple this with more new models, more model diversification, shareholder expectations and Ferrari seem to have been planning a shift in their sales strategy.

Just my take.

GT2goneF likes this.
  21. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    After I made the Pista deal, I volunteered to give my March-April build spot away. I was not 10R. The current plan is to wait until the model change over to 2022 and have a late summer divery.

22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Unfortunately, like with EV, times change. For good or for bad; "hey, us the "new buyers" are now allowed to buy a new Ferrari. I am sorry you were not allowed back then. But now Ferrari allows it. Maybe because of my previous post in this same thread. With that said, you should not be upset at the player, but with the game.

I am actually very happy that it worked out for me. I would not have enjoyed seeing a F8 or even a Pista which I could afford going by because I was forced to buy a 458 or Cal T. Don't get me wrong, I love the 458, but it wasn't checking all the boxes for me, just like the Pista didn't either. The rationale for the preowned purchase before you are vetted or considered "worthy" to get a new one is nothing other than stupid and pure greed from Ferrari, enhancing profitability from older vehicles just so you can get a ticket for a newer ride, double screwing the client while he went home "happy" because he got an used Ferrari with goals to get a new one in the future. They were smart because they managed to pull it for so long, just because "we are Ferrari". Ferrari already has gotten away with a lot and continues to do so, just because they are Ferrari. Maybe that is why they are doing so great on F1. Maybe why a nearly new company called McLaren is giving them lessons on car performance (BTW I am not a Lambo or McLaren owner or lover, but I appreciate them). Even so, I chose a Ferrari. Mainly because I didn't want to repeat Porsche. Because I can't see myself owning a Lamborghini and/or McLaren. And I love the F8 look.

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I wanted my own. Built to my liking. I got lucky because it was perfect timing. Got a Pista priced F8... Because I wanted it (in Frank Sinatra voice) My wayyyyyyy.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think you misunderstood my post but whatever.

25. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    Get the Personalization Programme Brochure that is a colored schematic of all options- what is standard, what can be had in leather, alcantara and carbon and exactly where it goes. Will make you very well informed and comfortable with your final specs.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat