Best First Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best First Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fisherman30, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The F430 is the first to come back to cam chains - even though the 360 allows the cambelts replacement without putting the engine out, it's still more expensive to maintain than chains.
    For $100K the F430 seems to be the best value to me - relatively recent but yet relatively simple, decent performance and reliability.
    There are other Ferraris available in this ballpark or even at lower prices (355, 612, 456, 308...) but I guess the associated maintenance costs would be significantly higher, IMHO they are best suited for limited use.

ChipG likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed but not 355 spider manuals, u can get some for 70k. I should know I bought mine in September ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its so very subjective. Ive owned a 355, 360 and California. If you can handle the maintenance and want a true go kart like experience nothing really beats a 355. Most fun Ferrari ive ever drive.

If you want something more old school and go kart like but you dont want to deal with maintenance hassles of the 355, the 360 is a perfect mix. not quite as tossable and go kart like as the 355 but close.

If you want something modern with low maintenance costs. Basically a bulletproof daily driver, then the California is an excellent choice. Its not the best looking car but I daily drove one for 3 years and it was no more a hassle than a Toyota.

Those are really the only 3 Id consider under $100k

4. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I think 360 and F430 are good options. Both have reasonable maintenance costs and repair costs are well known so you can research all the pros and cons.

I know nothing about your finances but I have two recommendations which may be totally inapplicable to you so my apologies:
    • Only spend about 75% of your budget on the car unless you've already figured unexpected repair costs into your $100k budget
    • Do not get an auto loan if that is the only way you can afford the car (it is ok to get an auto loan if you'd rather put your cash to better use as long as you have the cash)
    The reason I say that is because there will be nothing worse than owing a $1,000+/month car payment and then having a break down requiring a $25,000 repair that you don't have.

Keith Darby and NMNMNMN like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tongue in cheek. I think I qualify as a California enthusiast!
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/our-first-prancing-pony.521936/

And, if Enzo were still alive, the last few years of F1 would likely have killed him!
    T

curtisc63, Mrwi2ard3 and paulchua like this.
  6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In the 430 realm, if I could be talked into selling mine the buyer would get arguably the best running, best driving and most meticulously maintained 430 in the market. Considering that it’s a daily driver, the odometer reading is higher than the typical buyer would look for, but that’s part of why this car is so good. It’s driven, it’s cared for, and it’s (in my opinion) awesome. That said, this most awesome 430 with 50k on the clock, I think a reasonable selling price would be between $85 - $95k. If I were selling, that is.

Just my take on where the market might be for a higher mileage but completely sorted 430.

Keith Darby and VAF84 like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    tomc likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally agree. It's the new gateway drug to the Ferrari Lifestyle!
    T

paulchua likes this.
  9. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    McLaren MP4-12C

Ducking. :)

technom3 likes this.
  10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    f430
    easy to buy, easy to maintain, easy to live with, easy to sell.

my 430 is my beater ferrari coz i can drive it anywhere, park it anywhere, and i dont really care what happens to it.
    its fast, loud, and beautiful, looks tough and sensuous

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Anyone seen OP ? Looks like the usual story of one post lots of helpful answers and no return or feedback

13. Fisherman30

Fisherman30 Rookie

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback! I'm basically at the very initial stages of starting my "Ferrari fund". I'll be putting away about $1500/month until I can afford to buy it with cash, and have about 30% extra left over. Just researching right now, and trying to set a goal as to which car I should get. The 355 is my dream car, but as has been stated, not necessarily the most reliable. So I will most likely go for a 430. Not that it's any cheaper to repair. Just that they don't seem to need as much repair work done.

Shark01 likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so you posted this about 5 to 8 years early?

autobrains, technom3, USC96 and 6 others like this.
  15. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Tons, but they're just not Ferrari's. lol

I love a 355 also, just not the rep. for being costly.

My Vote is a 308 / 328 because they are just SO Freakin Cool!!!
    Classic, Easy to work on, Fairly decent to maintain, and plain Fun!!

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Can you imagine how hard it must be for a Ferrari salesperson?

The term tire kicker would be rebranded as tire 'blower.'

:)

ChipG likes this.
  17. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Reminds me of the old TV ad by Porsche where a 10(?) year old kid is looking in the dealership window and the salesperson smiles and tells him to come in. Years later, he is driving a Porsche. Porsche was advertising a long term sales/marketing strategy. As a 13-14 year old in the mid-50s, I would go to the local "Foreign Car" dealership, Porsche, MG, Jag, etc., and sit in cars and pickup literature. The sales people were always very nice. I have owned 6 Porsches and a Jag.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Fisherman30

Fisherman30 Rookie

Jan 25, 2021
    Well I'm not a 10 year old kid. I decided to first buy a nice house for my family, put money aside for my kids' education, and I now finally have the means to start funding my goal of owning a Ferrari. Could be 5-8 years, could be sooner if I put more money aside faster. We'll see. I'll be sure to bring this thread back alive once I finally have something in my garage. Thanks for all the tips!

Shark01 and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I know my post was snobbish. I couldn't agree more that kindness is the only recipe for youngsters (i.e. 10 years old) interested in these cars.
    Good on you! Looks like you got your priorities in order. I like your strategy and wish you every success. If anything, use my snobbery above as a motivational 'marker.'

20. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Well I'm not a 10 year old kid."
    My anecdote was getting a little OT and had nothing to do with your quest for a Ferrari. Took me 40+ year to finally get "my" Ferrari. Dealership and owner "snobbery" is kinda fun, however. In my experience, employees at "high end" dealerships seem to get a sense of social entitlement from their job. The receptionist at an un-named Cal. Ferrari dealership, refused to let my wife use the coffee machine and told her to leave the lounge area. We had stopped there for an oil change and check engine issue during a road trip to Northern CA and were on our way to OR before heading home.

Samiare and paulchua like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Stephen brings excellent points, and I do ask the OP to pardon my presumption We often get many non-serious folks that when somebody is genuine, I sometimes don't recognize it. I wish our future Ferrari owner nothing but fortune, and I have no doubt he will accomplish whatever goal he sets out.

22. Fisherman30

Fisherman30 Rookie

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks guys!

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #49 Shark01, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Great plan.....mirrors what I do. The first exotic took 9 years of saving and the second one 6.

Hardly anyone has a plan these days....it's all about instant gratification even if it wrecks them.

Now if you have ttforcefed, Ross, or Paul Chua money my advice means nothing....if you have Shark01 money you're 9/10's screwed already so you have to be slow and careful.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, to start chasing a carrot one must first identify what the carrot looks like.

I was doing this same thing in 2005 when my trip down the rabbit hole called exotic supercars began....

EnzoItaly and tomc like this.