430 - F1 1st gear problem | FerrariChat

430 F1 1st gear problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by KatMan, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    My 2008 430 with F1 has begun to shudder / jerk when starting out in 1st gear ( esp going up a slope ). All other upshifts are normal. Reverse is normal. No CEL. Car has 27000 miles on original clutch. Recent reading shows 38% worn on clutch. I've read a bit about PIS ( Point of Initial Slip ). Could it be a adjustment issue? Also to the best of my knowledge, F1 system has never been looked at or bled. Thoughts?

2. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Recommend doing a system flush and bleed as well as clutch relearn. Then reset the PIS if needed. I had a similar problem but after doing the flush/bleed and relearn I haven’t had the issue.

Ray Smith and whatheheck like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Agree!

Ray Smith and jag-oo-r like this.
  4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    What is a Clutch Relearn, and how is it accomplished?
    I'm working on the F1 bleed and the PIS adjustment in the next couple of weeks; I'd love to understand the clutch relearn as well.

5. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I'd like to know this as well. The e-gear lamborghinis have a procedure for doing this (pull both paddles, and then you do a few more things and its "adjusts" the distances between the clutch and the flywheel). I was under the impression there was nothing similar for the f1 transmissions and that setting the PIS was the only "adjustment" available.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  6. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
  7. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

The procedure in the thread linked above is basically the well-known procedure for doing a "soft reset" of the clutch in an egear lambo, which as we know is pretty similar to our f1 systems. As things wear the clearances and tolerances between the clutch plate and pressure disc (not sure of terminology) change and this procedure "adjusts" things back to a closer tolerance so everything works better/quicker/smoother.

I think that the poster in that thread linked above is trying to say that his mechanic told him to pull both paddles and then continue to hold them for some period of time, and then wait for the beep, and if you do that, you have done a "soft reset" without having to use a computer. I'm going to give it a try tonight to see if I get the beep and the light. If I do, my conclusion is going to be that this procedure does in fact "do something" (what it does, I'm not sure, but it can't hurt...maybe the beep and light is just the car telling you "hey idiot, you don't have to hold both paddles that long to put it in neutral!").

8. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    The Launch Pro Mini has a clutch relearn function. I can’t say definitively what it does but performing that along with an F1 flush and bleed made a significant difference in how my F1 system worked. Much smoother, eliminated the “flare” I was getting on higher throttle shifts and made the shifts seamless. It also eliminated the occasional shudder I was getting on first gear takeoffs when cold.

NMNMNMN and jag-oo-r like this.
  9. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Did you also adjust your PIS with the Launch? or does this "relearn" function do something with that too?
    I haven't looked for that function, but I assume I'll be able to navigate around and find it.

10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I didn’t have to reset the PIS as the system was perfect after the relearn and flush/bleed. That was almost a year ago (and about 1K miles). I’ve tried finding exactly what the relearn function does but no luck yet.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Not sure if the x431 does ( internal procedure) what the SD does but this ( attached) is what the function does on the SD on certain TCUs

Attached Files:

AandSC likes this.
  12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    He forgot to mention the WSM admonition to, prior to entering the vehicle, click your heels and say "There's no place like first!".

Ray

jag-oo-r likes this.
  13. daniellove304

daniellove304 Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Marietta Ga
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    you do recognize the clutch has to be replaced every 30k and that depends how you drive it .YOU NEED A NEW CLUTCH .

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Possible. Clutches last 10K to over 50K depending on who is driving them and your terrain. AND the % reading is notoriously inaccurate so you can't really depend on it.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  15. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Alright gents, strictly for science and for the good of the community, I tried the "poor man's" clutch reset (i.e., for those that don't have an autel/launch/leonardo). So as suggested in a different thread I started the car (after waiting for "Ok" of course), foot on the brake, pulled both paddles to put it in neutral and instead of releasing I held them in the pulled position. Within about 5-7 seconds the car beeped and the little red oil can (f1) icon flashed. I then release the paddles, put it in first and drove away.

And guess what, engagement from a dead stop in first gear did seem to be improved. My car has always had a very slight "judder" when pulling away from a stop, and now its basically gone. I thought maybe I was just paying more attention and perhaps the car being cold was making it less noticeable, so I drove around for 30 minutes with lots of stop and go. Still engages from a stop better than it did! At this point I really don't think its "placebo effect" or just my wishful imagination. I think this did in fact "re-learn" or adjust something. Give it a shot and report back if you feel the same! Maybe I'm wrong but the change was pretty apparent in my car. Good luck!

Qavion and AandSC like this.
  16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I'll give it a shot. I'll check the PIS first with my Launch, try this, then check it again. We'll get some hard data.

Ray

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I did the clutch relearn on my F430 after a bleed and reservoir refill. I used my Launch and followed the prompts on it. There were several clunking noises coming from the back of the car during the relearn process. I’m assuming that was the clutch adjusting itself.
    I remember a prompt on the Launch that directed me to turn off the function before too long so damage doesn’t occur. I’m just mentioning it so everyone knows to keep an eye out for that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari has a hill climb and low speed maneuver mode in the F1 system, but that requires you to be in 1st or reverse and pull the left paddle back until you get a beep. Supposed to be easier on the clutch and I use it up my really steep driveway. Wonder if this is another mode that was not well documented or if it is getting you into the same mode with both paddles back in neutral. Will have to give it a try.

Flea7 and Ray Smith like this.
  19. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Please report back after you guys try it! I just drove my car again and it definitely takes off smoother now. I think we may be on to something that may not be well documented. At least I couldn't find any documentation. But it is well documented in the e-gear world so it makes sense we may have a similar procedure.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I didn't know about this ..do Scuderias have as well ?

This would be good for getting on four post lift etc

Thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- I do not have much Scuderia tech data, but should be easy to try. Could be the later Superfast II systems do not need it, but it is handy. F430s and Scuderias do not suffer from the very high reverse gear of the 360 and 575M.

flash32 likes this.
  22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Terry thanks

I will try it the next time I take her out which may be a few months

van22 likes this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- Forgot about the northern blues you guys suffer. Snowed here today, about 12 flakes.

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Who knew the guys at Maranello like to plant Easter eggs?

Ray

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ray

Does that work on your scud