F355 Market | Page 180 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Look at the other listings :)

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Something weird about that site. If you actually track down the cars at those dealers they either don't exist or are different cars than what's pictured.

I'm pretty sure the site is just designed to pull web traffic so it can make money off of ads...not actually provide anything of useful value.

ShineKen likes this.
  3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Robb likes this.
  4. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    dang the carbon seats in plain tan leather look killer. The red frabric inserts you see quite often don't hold up that well.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Basically the dealer that owned the car sent it to their shop and worked up a bill of $60k plus in reconditioning the car. Essentially paying themselves...highly doubt even an engine rebuild and going through the car with a fine toothed comb would amount to that otherwise.

Laserman likes this.
  7. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    Julia,

Real engine work can approach $40K when you do valve guides, all 16 exhaust valves, Fabspeed headers, 4 cylinder sleeves, all rod bolts and rod bearings, rings and 2 shock actuators as I had to at 49Km. I used an independent shop. I shudder to think what a dealer would have charged for all that.

But I love this car and it was well worth it, I just paid too much for the car. I figure I should of paid about $8K less for the car than what I did. the PPI came back a little light on the engine damage. But hindsight is 20/20.

I wanted the color combinations. :) Having one of these cars is a passion not an investment.

Chris

Julia, Skippr1999 and tatry68 like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Valve guides is a 20k job, not 40k

tres55 likes this.
  9. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had a lot more done than just valve guides. read the entire post please.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know where you guys get these prices. My car had a major with all new valves, guides, 16 rebuild lifters, belts, T bearing, rear main seal, and some other stuff I can't remember off hand. Just under $12k. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mine was done by a dealer...urs also or independant?

12. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Indy.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that explains the delta

15. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I still chuckle about the term "investment" and Ferrari's. Ferrari's should not be the only investment in a portfolio, but can be an investment if bought properly like any investment (entry price). As with any investment there is risk and how the risk is managed is important. Certainly other ways to capture higher % of ROI than a Ferrari.

The foundation of an investment is simply a tool to help you accomplish something later in life. Whether that be an experience, an object, or charitable giving.

16. BodLaxOhio

BodLaxOhio Rookie

Jan 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    New to the group, I've been browsing Ferraris. I'm drilling down on 355s and kicked the tires on a few manual spiders. I'm really looking for a berlinetta or GTS gated, but they just aren't out there right now.

As people mentioned the few available are far above where auctions have taken place and a huge premium to some pretty solid spiders out there. Any view on the market for berlinettas or a gts would be helpful since I just started following it.

That pimped out black one looks like the most reasonable out there but seems like it's still 10k too much. Should I expect more in the spring or has there been very few non-spiders out there for sometime?

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’d take a trip to go see what is going on with the black one. You’re thinking 2019 prices. It’s a whole new world.

BodLaxOhio likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Merlin has a beautiful tdf spider. Im not sure what to think about prices right now other than the asks are up huge on good cars

BodLaxOhio likes this.
  19. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    I have a 1998 Berlinetta for sale with F1 transmission reasonably priced at $76K with less than 30K miles. Comes in yellow and black.

BodLaxOhio likes this.
  20. BodLaxOhio

BodLaxOhio Rookie

Jan 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes and I like the black with tan interior.

21. BodLaxOhio

BodLaxOhio Rookie

Jan 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, I like the blue but I found a sorted red spider under 80k. After thinking through it, we just really like the look of the berlinetta or GTS much better. I'm just not sure where the market is. Cars aren't trading at these list prices yet, people can ask any number.

22. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #4497 Culprit, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Welcome to the forums. But if you say you don't know where the market is, why is your first post about a car being overpriced by 10K? That particular black car was posted as an example of a low price GTB found on Craiglist, compared to the one for $175.000 on eBay. The Spiders, GTB and GTS, manual and F1 are all dramatically different prices. That black one is a deal if all the mechanical work checks out. Buy it, spend 10K on a fresh major and stock wheels, sell the Challenge wheels and you're rolling for under six figures.

23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That black one is a steal IMO. Remove the tint, repaint the challenge wheels, and you have yourself a car that would probably list at $100k USD with ease.

As for where the market is...prices are moving up fast from what I'm seeing. Europe was lagging...but asking prices out there for clean and under 40-50k km Berlinetta's are hitting $130-140k USD pretty regularly.

I'm working on a deal for one right now in a very rare spec (colour, carbon seats, manual) and absolutely mint condition with full service history and recent major...all work always done at Ferrari dealer. 31k miles and it's going to be top of the market, but it's a car that I'll likely never sell so I don't mind paying over.

I think the 355's time has come. They've been lagging against their contemporaries.

Kokose7en, MAD828 and BodLaxOhio like this.
  24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    BodLaxOhio likes this.
  25. BodLaxOhio

BodLaxOhio Rookie

Jan 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fair question, I'm just basing that on where it was. There just haven't been a lot of recent transactions to see. Thanks for the thought, it's very reasonable advice.