Cleaning Sticky Interior Parts - 355 & Others | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cleaning Sticky Interior Parts - 355 & Others

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cgperry, Nov 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnharden

Johnharden Rookie

May 13, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Full Name:
    John Harden
    Sweveral weeks ago, Robbie just cleaned a bunch of 550M parts which were just starting to get sticky. WE were very pleased with the result and price. We are a full service shop that works on Vintage Maser's, Ferrari's, Lambo's and vintage race cars and inspite of having all of the capabilities to do what Robbie does, decided that it was much more cost efficient to let him do the job. Turn arround was less than a week. Highly reccomend his service to all.

2. WillW

WillW Karting

May 23, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Stickynomore.com does excellent work and I don't want to "ruin" anybodys business but e.g. I'm not happy to send part to US and back. So I still think its good if this problem is still openly discussed (and new solutions faunded) and not just referred to that you can get them finished for you... ;) So I will post ideas when I get time to do mine some point.

3. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    is this refurb service offered in the UK?

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We do parts from all over the world, you would need to ship us the parts, we refinish and ship back. Robbie

5. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Using 70% rubbing alcohol and Dawn dish soap, I've gotten them down to bare plastic. I was debating leaving them bare until I got to the roof switch!

My roof switch is gray plastic, so I guess to get a uniform finish, I'll be going with the plastidip -_-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    The best stuff I found that did an excellent job with no plastic damage at all, no toxic chemicals, quickly removes all stickies, and is inexpensive is called Greased Lightning. It is available (in the US) in nearly any store that sells cleaning products. Only issue I had, as with all cleaners, is that parts that have silk screened writing will also have the writing removed like the lock/unlock door handles, Mode/Set, etc. I sent these to Dave at StickyRX who cleans them and then uses lasers to etch in new writing I also sent the switches to him to clean which I did not want to mess with at risk of getting them wet and damaging them ($$). He does fabulous work and VERY knowledgeable. No knock intended on Sticky No More.

7. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    To clarify one point in my previous post: Dave strips and recoats the parts, not just clean them. That's how he can laser etch the markings on them.

8. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    StickyRx is right in my hometown, but I went with a satin black spray that looks pretty nice :)

9. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I use Greased Lightning on oil-stained laundry sometimes. It's nice because it can even remove oil stains that have gone through the dryer. But I don't know how non-toxic it is. It sure is nasty if you accidentally breathe in the fumes.

10. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I did not notice any fumes from it - it was mild, though I of course used gloves. It is much safer than the alternative solvents that are both flamable and volatile. It did a great job on my "stickies" which were pretty challenging on a 2007 that had never been processed for "stickies".

11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  12. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    The sticky buttons are caused by heat. The buttons have a rubber like coating. Wipe done ALL the coating and spray rubber coating over them

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I know several cars kept in climate controlled garages and have gotten sticky

14. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Sounds strange but germs from skin, I always wear gloves (from hearing sticky problems from passed Ferrari before I bought mine) and I tell my passenger not to touch anything, they give me a crazy look of course until I explain why, til this day, no sticky buttons yet

15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Sticky gooey mess can be removed with D-Limonene (turpentine made out of citrus peels, a.k.a orange essential oil). It is widely used in order to remove glue from smartphone screens. Can even soften stubborn head-gaskets. Safe for your health (can be ingested), safe for plastic: perfect product as long as you don't mind the citrus odour.

If you cannot find pure D-Limonene so-called "Citrus Cleaners" do usually carry enough D-Limonene to do the job.

16. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Easy Off oven cleaner will do the job with ease. I have refinished all my Ferraris and a few Porsches by stripping the sticky gooey junk off with this. Just wear a mask and safety glasses. Easy schmeezy!

17. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That stuff will NOT touch the newer sticky plastics, totally different sticky mess in 355 cars versus 458 cars, etc.... Sticky issues are NOT one size fits all like most assume after doing one model...Every car is different

I have watched owners with older 355, 550 cars clean their own cars and have some limited success and then proceed to tell everyone how a certain product works. Next owner uses said product on his 458 or Qp and in turn ruins most of the parts or the product does nothing and it is a big waste of time. I have had MANY customers listen to someone else and that suggestion costs them thousands to replace parts, happens all the time. Know what your doing before doing anything. Unobtainable parts or $3000 climate controls are not something to experiment with. Just my opinion....

Circle K and PaulK like this.
  18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    @285ferrari : this is not a thread dedicated to the 458, and I would not pretend to have any experience on this car.

Based on my own experience any DIY job should involve mild cleaners. My personal favourite are rubbing alcohol and D-Limonene as these are safe for most plastic. If this does not work (eg: on the 458), that's fine for me as wasting a bit of time on an unsuccessful attempt is better than destroying a part I cannot easily source.

You may see on other threads that I don't mind using aggressive products, but I've had mixed results. Acetone significantly alters the plastic surface. Even rubbing alcohol leaves unpleasant "rainbows" on clear parts. Oven cleaner does create some airline cracks. Brake fluid (well used, not fresh) can get rid of any paint over ABS, Lexan and polycarbonate, but fresh fluid makes the part more brittle (I keep open old bottles for years just for cleaning purposes).

Call me shy, but after experimenting with all the above cleaners, whenever something I cannot afford to destroy requires deep cleaning, if (pure) D-Limonene cannot get rid of it, that's where I usually stop messing with the part.