Shorten exhaust cam. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shorten exhaust cam.

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I had a look at them and was comparing the numbers to Web. They are not close... If I decide to go that way, do I have to replace the valve spring retainers? I have just replaced the exhaust valves with SS all springs and guides. The heads are on the block already. It will be a big expense doing it all over again.

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    You can use the 402 cams with std springs and retainers but I got their (Opel) springs which fit std retainers but are slightly thinner wire and slightly softer. You could use the nylon rope down the plug hole to remove the springs and retainers if you want to change them without pulling the heads but I would get the Web regrinds unless there is a big price difference.

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    If the 402 cams are $1,500 as you mentioned.. the Web regrind is almost $2,100

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Or switch to shim under

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Or maybe the 9.3mm is only QV with its 33mm buckets vs the 37mm(?) in the 2v?
    That would makes sense.......but I needed shim under I was told.

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
  7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I agree, that patter looks fine to me. Mine goes straight off the edges, but slightly different shaped lobes I guess, but you're looks fine and no doubt those came s will really wake it up.

Any piston clearance issues? I had to cut pretty big knotches but QV (&TR ) pistons were designed for pretty sad little cams compared to what was originally in a 2v

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm pretty sure that grind requires WEB to weld up the lobes to get enough metal to grind. Went I hade mine done some years ago it was $50/lob to regrind, $100/lobe to weld and grind. I sent them billets that were round where the lobes go, they were $100/lobe too....x48 :(

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Yeah I spoke with them a few minutes ago and they confirmed that they have to weld up the lobes in order to get to spec. It appears that the 402 is the way to go from the comments above. If I decide to go that route what else need to be replaced on the heads? I got a bit confused with Derek's comments.

(You can use the 402 cams with std springs and retainers but I got their (Opel) springs which fit std retainers but are slightly thinner wire and slightly softer. You could use the nylon rope down the plug hole to remove the springs and retainers if you want to change them without pulling the heads but I would get the Web regrinds unless there is a big price difference)

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Nothing else is needed it sounds like....you can change more stuff and Derek did, but he says that is optional.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Yes, I would just swap the cams. If you have lots of time and patience you could change to the thinner springs which they sell, maybe fit titanium retainers to lighten the valve train, but Raf at Cat cams says the original springs work ok.They were $1490 excl. shipping when I last checked

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Derek thank you for al the info. You through me off a bit when you mentioned that if the price of the web cam is close to that for Cat, you would rather go with the Web regrind. Any reason for that?

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    My thoughts... And this is only because I do a lot of engineering on development engines. Off the shelf cat cams if the profile works good for the build.. The advantage of webcam is specifying any profile you want to match your build.

Cat cams option does allow for you to keep your factory cams if that matters.

14. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Why can you just put the seal back in and run it?

15. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Scott, at this point it doesn't really matter if I use my stock cams or install one off the shelf. I have dumped already thousands of $$ and only God knows how many hours to get the vehicle to the point that's almost ready to go after a 14 year delay. I was not looking to replace the cams until some of the experts like yourself posted that by replacing the cams it would really wake-up the motor with all the upgrades that have done already so let it be. Hopefully this will be the last BIG expense and get the vehicle on the road to enjoy. Web cams has only one profile I have posted their numbers. Cat offers 3 profiles, 2 for racing and one for sport. That's the 402 that Derek mentioned. The profile is attached. I really need some guidance to decide which way to go with my set-up (EFI, COP etc)
    PS I respect and appreciate all the advise and guidance that I have received throughout the years from you guys. I could not have done it without y'all help. From my heart a BIG THANK YOU!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    14 years?....you bought the M800 about the same time I bought one right before I lost my mind and started the V12 didn't you? I thought I remembered your name but could quite place it.

the CAT cams grind is the most aggressive I would consider. I think the number will work well but I wouldn't go more and I'm trusting that the stock springs have the travel and pistons have the clearance as I don't know.

Web Cams has literally thousands of profiles they can grind. They did my V12 cams and send 5 options in the ranges I requested. What you see in the catalog is what they know what's well in a typical 2V engine.....but they will help custom match a grind when needed, but for your engine that is not needed. Either the Cat or catalog Web grind will be fine and work well

17. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Your memory is correct!!! You've started it all ;) Got me in to the 800 (from Australia) and all the mods... Well... It has been fun and adventurous ride to this point no regrets. We used to be neighbors back then until my co relocated me to Atlanta 10 years ago. Anyway the shop in Lancaster did my heads and they were very thorough. Replaced the exhaust valves, seats guides etc. I want to believe that they did a good job on them. Sooooo... if everyone approves Cat cams 402 profile??

18. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Wade,
    Trying to make the most out of the 2V engine right now without going very deep in to it. If just replacing the cams (along with everything else that was done) will do, than let it be. I don't think the cost of $2k for regrinds or new cams to gain an additional 30-40 ponies and better performance is a lot of money... IMO.

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the 402 is an strong cam, concern would be coil bind on the inner spring.. from memory I recall the stock inner spring binds up right near 11mm. The 2V engines we do that have aggressive cams also use custom springs, etc...

anyone have experience with that cam and stock springs,etc..?

402 has a lot of overlap...

a common BIG web grind is the 159i/e for the stock valve train.
    for comparison:

Intake: 0.360" / 9.144mm lift
    Exhaust: 0.338" / 8.58mm lift
    Duration @ 0.04" I/E 270*/263*
    Duration @ 0.10" I/E 320*

really comes down the overall build and what you're after.

Dynomation is a great tool for putting together builds and seeing what various cam profiles will give you. I think it's about $500 for the program. Mark and I both use it, I also use a couple others that are crazy involved and make me question my sanity but that's another story.

As long as the profile works with the valve train, just about anything is better then stock. beyond that it's just optimization, not so much for peak power but the TQ curve. In mild builds I highly suggest trying to build more low/mid tq then peak HP, the stock gear ratios suck and short of screaming everywhere you go it doesn't make a lot of sense to go for pk HP numbers... i mean great you've squeezed 280HP at 8k RPM... but it's dead off idle and doesn't come on cam till 3.5k... never mind that the gear ratios for shifting are 6800..

hope that helps, probably made it worse.. sorry.

20. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Scott, you're absolutely right... Made things worse only because of my luck of experience on this engine (none) at least I'm being honest :(. Ok I'll wait until next week to take action on the cams. Maybe someone has experience with that set-up and will respond but the 402 at 10.75 lift is toooo close for comfort from the 11mm that you have mentioned.
    Thank you.

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Reach out the the cam company. Derek said they advised him it was OK, but you can ask.

The other thing you can do is just measure it. Pull an intake cam, confirm the piston is DOWN, then put a dial indicator on the bucket and rig up something to push it down with and see how far it goes. You need the 10.75mm lift, minus lash, Plus 1.0mm clearance....so you want to see 11.55mm travel to use the Cat cam.

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I would worry about piston clearance with the 402 grind. I suggest you talk to Raf at Cat cams and find out if they will work with whatever pistons you have. Also check if they can do other grinds. Web cams can do anything you want so could do a more modern version of the euro cams.
    There’s also a lot to be said for just enjoying the car for a while— you deserve it and can always do this later :)

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Went and dug up the specs in the WSM, inner spring has 11mm travel to bind, that's the delta between installed length and bind length. Outer spring is 11.5mm roughly. Really comes down to installed length... Measure is best.

Awfully close though...

24. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  25. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK