Why No Minneapolis Ferrari Dealer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why No Minneapolis Ferrari Dealer?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by midwestschumacherfan, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DesertDude

DesertDude Rookie

Apr 6, 2019
    Rochester, MN; La Quinta, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    That I don’t know, we can only hope!

kes7u likes this.
  2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    That is awesome! It will make visiting family in Minneapolis from eastern WI a lot less scary with my 360.

kes7u likes this.
  3. Ellena

Ellena Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Chanhassen, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    J. Anderson
    The deal has been in place for some time. The building has been under renovation for prob 60 days at this point. My Spidey sense says opening 3rd qtr, 2021.

Laserman and kes7u like this.
  4. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    If the Polad group is in this for the long run they could get some big PR and goodwill by sponsoring some events for the local owners and start talking this up.

kes7u likes this.
  5. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was thinking/hoping this as well.

On another note, it seems that numerous new Ferrari dealers are opening in the not too distant future. I wonder if this has to do with expanding the network for the SUV?

Kevin

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Your Chapter of the FCA should be trying to work with the new dealer organization as soon as possible. But recognize that the dealer may have restriction from FNA on exactly when they are allowed to do official public announcements and host events until some point near the opening of the store for operation.

7. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mpls/St. Paul does not have a FCA Chapter period.

The closest chapter is Chicago.:(

I am not sure I want to step forward to start a chapter.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    You are part of the North Central Region. Is Tommy Lowther still the Region Director? Allegedly Steve Hark is the Minnesota Chapter President.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Steve is doing a helluva job. We had some great activities (while we could) last year./

10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Ak Jim, kes7u and AMN like this.
  11. AMN

AMN Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2018
    NYC, Minneapolis, Bozeman
    Full Name:
    A M N
    kes7u likes this.
  12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Any idea when the opening will be ?

MDS

13. Ellena

Ellena Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Chanhassen, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    J. Anderson
    I'm told opening is still planned for 3rd quarter, 2021.

kes7u and mikesufka like this.
  14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    what happened to the porsche dealership...moved?

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Porsche dealer moved a few doors down (West) multiple years ago. (7 or 8?) I remember attending the grand opening party. Magnus Walker was there. I recall him being involved in a wreck on the street in front, at the time!

Kevin

16. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I haven't read all the replies but my guess's would be the following:

1: Not enough factory production to provide adequate supply for the dealers Ferrari already has.
    2: Shortened driving seasons in MSP due to long winters might translate to less buyers.
    3: Not as glamourous or any where near as wealthy as Miami, LA, Long Island, San Francisco etc.
    4: I lived and worked in Des Moines for decades until 2018. Although centrally located, there isn't even a Porsche dealership there.
    The old Porsche dealership they had failed mid-late 2000's and the inventory and "rights" to the market were sold to
    Woodhouse Porsche in Omaha which is a 2.25 hour drive one way for service. Hopefully this changes as Des Moines has shown a lot of growth.

17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Did you skip the part that showed pictures of the dealership currently finishing construction in Minneapolis and opening Q3 of this year????

Kevin

18. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Yes I did. As you can guess, I didn't go very far in school...........

kes7u likes this.
  19. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Did anyone else see it listed on the official Ferrari webpage with broken links? "Twin Cities Performance," Very excited bout this!

20. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I wish Ferrari would have opened up Minneapolis five years ago when I still lived in Des Moines.
    I probably would have been a Ferrari owner much sooner had service been available within a days roundtrip drive.
    When I moved to Colorado and saw that Denver had a dealership, my last reservation about Ferrari ownership was put to rest.
    Picked up a 458 Spider that I'm very happy with.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We must do a meetup for the opening. I'm in Richfield and it's a quick drive over..

22. AMN

AMN Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2018
    NYC, Minneapolis, Bozeman
    Full Name:
    A M N
    I am sure there will be a grand opening. I will be stunned if Ferrari/Carousel Group/Pohlads don't reach out to current owners.

I am also quite interested in seeing how the "onboarding" process turns out. There are quite a few Lake Forest and Continental (Chicago dealers) customers with extensive Ferrari purchase history who live in MN. Forfeiting status with your current dealer by switching to Ferrari of Minneapolis may be problematic if you are chasing high end and limited production vehicles that get allocated to select dealers.

I can barely wait to meet the staff at Ferrari of Minneapolis as well. Must be a highly desirable job for anyone in the business.

SirTony76, Bmill and vrsurgeon like this.
  23. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I can walk to the new dealership from my house. Has any current owner heard from them? I have not. A source within a different part of the Pohlad group said the opening is July or so. I need service and I’m trying to figure out what to do……… wait or not.

Also switching dealerships and losing status is a real issue. So is the no poaching rule by Ferrari N.A. — must but from a dealership within X miles of your home address( if there is one). To date Minneapolis has been outside that rule. Not so sure how enforced the rule is. Seems to be a punishment complaint one dealership can do to a second. Finally from a Ferrari source I understand current dealerships are pushing for existing customers to be grandfathered.

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Any concerns with the quality of the service staff at a new dealership such as this? Particularly with regard to those of us with older cars, a few generations removed from new?

Kevin