Fellow in LA with factory coilover suspension? | FerrariChat

Fellow in LA with factory coilover suspension?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dannyg, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    I remember reading somewhere here someone swapped out their 550s factory suspension for aftermarket, any idea who that was, would love to get in touch with him, thanks in advance!

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    m5shiv likes this.
  3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    What did you use to defeat the suspension warning light when you unplugged the stock electronic dampers? Do you know if the same would work on a 550?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm working on the 575M and 99.9% sure I have a solution, just have to find the time to actually move forward with testing. The warning screen rotating between "ASC" (since I always have it off) and the little car image is low on my to-do list. The 550 has an easier defeat than the 575 as it's documented and commercially available.

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I was asking on behalf of a friend really. The 575 will be defeated by a CAN bus emulator- you would do some CAN sniffing to find out what the "normal" CAN message is from the Sachs suspension ecu, then copy this onto one of the simple programmable CAN boxes. Then just remove the suspension ECU, and wire you're little CAN spoof box into power and CAN. You can buy this pre-made from KW for about £400 I believe, or make it yourself for about £50.

The 550 uses a system like the 355, right? Can you just put in a resistor or something over the plug to the damper actuators?

white out likes this.
  8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve been looking for a good coilover system as well for my 550. Moton and KW had systems the last time I looked

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Doesn't sound likely. The actuator has 6 wires. 2 are for the motor and 4 are for the position sensor. Where would you put the resistor?

When the system goes through a start up cycle, it checks the physical range of the top-of-the-strut cog/wheel. It would need to see a range of position values to generate a pass.

I suppose you could manufacture a mechanical plug for the actuator which mechanically limits the actuator to a range of a rotational values (135 degrees). i.e. something which simulates the top of the strut.

brogenville likes this.
  10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My pal has a 355 as well, which he's installed coil overs on. TO get round the suspension error issue, he's just removed the bulb from the dash. This never feels like a great solution, but he tells me that the suspension ecu doesn't interact with any of the other systems, so by removing the bulb, you aren't masking any other issues. Does anyone know then whether the 550 suspension ecu interacts with engine/steering/abs systems on the 550?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- The 550 has a steering positions sensor (so do the 456, 456M, and late 575Ms) that feeds inputs into the shock ECU to stiffen the outside shock absorbers in a turn. There are likely anti-dive and anti-squat inputs from the accelerometer to the shock ECU, as well, not sure about ABS on the 550.

brogenville likes this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Cheers Taz.

The steering likely wouldn’t create a new error code (beyond suspension malfunction), as the steering ecu will just be sending data to the suspension ecu. Unlikely to be feedback from the suspension ecu back to the steering with an error that the dampers aren’t responding.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- The steering ECU is just a glorified relay with a boost schedule, so I do not think it or the steering position sensor generate any error codes. The shock ECU misses that signal, though, and that does generate a suspension fault.