A question of sound | FerrariChat

A question of sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gabf1, Jan 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Hi all,

I’ve read a lot of stuff on this forum over the years and have found so much invaluable information here. I have a 488 spider and love the car but the soundtrack is lacking both stereo wise but mostly, exhaust note. I just picked up a Huracan EVO and got into the 488 and almost felt like I was in a Tesla lol. Not quite or even close. But...I want to upgrade the exhaust now to get something closer and more commensurate with the performance I get in the car. I know that I’m not going to bolt something on to a turbocharged motor and get something that will go toe to toe with a NA V10, but I would like to get something a bit more lively.

I’ve read about a lot of different exhausts on the myriad of threads on this forum and have some ideas. However, the question of drone and livability with the sound on the longer drives is something that concerns me. I am no longer in my twenties where loud without any other concern is cool. I want to be able to enjoy the soundscape without sacrificing. So, I’m looking for opinions from guys who have made changes to their cars and lived with them over miles and times to see what their opinion is of a fully broken in exhaust is like after the thrill of the first few months is gone. Finally, there are a lot of people advocating inconnel vs stainless vs titanium and I honestly don’t know about how that affects the sound quality. I’m not too interested in weight savings since I won’t be tracking this car or driving it in any way where the savings of 50-100 pounds would make any difference in performance. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

2. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I bought mine with previous owner removing cats, adding novitec exhaust with Capristo OBD wizard. I really love how it sounds but I'm also having issues passing state inspections.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Save yourself a packet and just jet a valve remote.

When the valves are open the only thing in the exhausts way is the Cat. So unless you change the cat the sound be just the same.

Some say that an inconel system might alter the frequency ?

gabf1 likes this.
  4. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thanks. I might just go that direction.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Not so, at least in the 458. The exhaust system itself makes a huge difference.

I swapped stock for Fabspeed exhaust which was better, then the Kline SS which is a bit louder and more aggressive and better yet. I have the Kline 200 cell cats ready to go in which will be at next oil change and see if it’s not too loud.

I was told the SS ‘comes close’ to the inconel sound wise. The big difference is the weight savings. So I went SS.

Just by picking them up, I can say there’s a huge difference weight-wise between stock and Kline SS.

gabf1 likes this.
  6. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Catless downpipes and capristo wizard.

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The OEM exhaust of the 488 GTB when you open the valve its a straight through. The only sound change will come from chaning the cats. He can do that but up to your states emission testing.

Changing to any other exhaust seems fruitless apart from saving a few kgs. Some sort of x pipe might change the sound a bit but thats all.

If no track is going to be done , not likely here given its a spider ild just save the cah and pin the valves open. Like i said at worst get a remote.

gabf1 likes this.
  8. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman

I have done exactly that on my 488 GTB, it changes the car from being silent and timid below 3k rpm, to all kinds of crazy. The pops and bangs especially when you lift your foot from the throttle are good fun. The droning on highway speeds is the only downside.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    There has been a few posts regaining droning sound on highway. What gear are you on as I don't get that drone at all.

10. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    As the RPMs drop the droning goes away but not entirely sure... I am gonna say around 4th and 5th Gear, will take her out on the highway this evening to be sure.

11. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thanks for the posts. I’m leaning toward the valve mod but don’t want drone. Would be interested to hear when and what rpms it does that.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I bought the Tubi straight pipe which just removes the resonators and puts in an H pipe. It maintains the proper valve controls for the ECU. This is a better sound than the OEM exhaust and I found it to be plenty loud enough. However, a v8 turbo just cannot sound like a NA v-10.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

IIRC this is the Tubi pipe. Definitely a good option to just remove the silencer and keep OEM valve control.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

When the valves are open its just a straight pipe like the OEM. Im sure all the other aftermarket ones are the same.

The Kline is different as it still goes through a silencer . It might be straight through inside ? But also has extra length in the pipe which ive heard on 3 pista's with it being Inconel there was a slight change in tone. Too subjective.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Biggest sound change involves changing the Cat