Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #226 mk e, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Because 308s and the "cheap" Ferrari and most of us that own them are basically cheap people, not usually by choice but because many of us are poor by Ferrari owner standards. That is why the first thing you here when you start messing with one is some version of "you're pissing money away!".

You're doing a...$70k+ build? that will be worth a fraction of that when complete, which is very rare in 308 land. That's all it is really.....its taken me personally 20 years to piss away that kind of money on my 308 build mush to the dismay of my wife who refers to the car project as "a money disposal". :)

dhalter likes this.
  2. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I wish this was going to cost me $70k. That's a massive understatement.
    With that said, I still think this group will be surprised at what my car will be worth. Someone will want it, if I decide to sell it. I'm not concerned about it in the least. :p

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The market for Ferraris in general is quite limited and modified Ferraris is small subset of that. The more modified the smaller the subset....it's there for sure...at least I pray it is, but often its the salvage yards that are the only market :(

Anyway, I assume that's what triggered the question about what you do for a living that 70 (or 150k) doesn't matter to you.

4. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Totally understood. I just hope everyone here keeps in mind that my target audience isn't the same target audience as almost everyone else here. It's completely different, and isn't really related to Ferrari or 308 values, because I'm not selling a normal Ferrari 308, and I'm not selling to the people that would buy normal Ferraris or 308s.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Plus you're building it for you so it doesn't really matter what anyone else things of it or any part of it.

I don't think I saw seats or any interior stuff on your weight list so a bit more to come out there I guess. For what little its worth I'll be sad if you're not close to the 2500 number in the end.

6. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Taking the front end apart revealed just how wildly stout the nose of the car is. I'll be removing a good bit of material out of the front of the car, in terms of metal/structure. The interior should shave a bit of weight too. I'll hope for 2500, but want to stay grounded.

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Have you got to thinking swaybars yet? That is on my "if the engine ever actually runs" list.

I kind of have myself talked into piecing together something from here or similar
    http://1speedway.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=76

like a 1"x.095 wall in the rear:
    http://1speedway.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=90

then there is a good selection of gun-drilled 1 1/4" for the front but only in 1 length of 37 1/2"...but I remember thinking it would work
    http://1speedway.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=89

so very light compared to solid bars.....I just need a running engine more at the moment.

8. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    As the originator of this thread, I'm starting to feel distinctly uncomfortable about the way it's progressed.

Had this been a UK forum, the question as to the source of your income may been asked more discretely "behind the scenes" amongst the various contributors to the thread, for all too often that is the way we Brits do things (though in this more enlightened age, things are changing)

But I have to say, I for one am absolutely staggered that A : The question has been asked in the first place. B : That it's been asked in such a blatant manner.

Had I been you Mike, I think my response (had I felt compelled to reply) would have been very different, and would have been more along the lines of "What's it got to do with you ?"

I've lurked on various sections of Fchat for some years now, and I don't recall EVER seeing such a question posed to a newcomer, nor such overtly antagonistic behaviour towards a fellow contributor.

This forum is a truly great resource for all F car owners, from the very wealthiest to the most humble, and a look at Vonbarron's thread in this very section would tend to indicate that his project has found favour with many on here (and yes, I do get his car was a basket case that had previously been butchered by other parties) and whilst the end result of Mike's labours may not find favour with many (though I'm not sure why) it will have been the result of his passion and skill in building a car for himself that suits his own, very specific needs.

Whilst I appreciate Mke's explanation as to why the question regarding Mike's source of income was posed, it in no way excuses it.

I have to say I've warmed to Mike, and I admit I'm guilty of having judged a book by its cover after his first couple of videos, but the more I've watched, the more it's become clear he has a passion for what he does and a skill set that many on here would love to have, but don't possess.

If you don't like what he's doing, that's absolutely fine, but stick to the old adage, "If you've nothing good to say, say nothing". and that includes questions as to how he has sufficient funds to undertake such a build.
    Rant over. As you were.

BigTex and M.Burroughs like this.
  9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Compared with the hot rod 911 market which is so hot right now, I don't understand why a super hot 308 wouldn't be welcomed at least half as warmly as an incredible twin plug EFI ITB 911 is these days. Everyone since the dawn of the 308 has always said '308 is great but it needs 300bhp and then t would be perfect', then when someone makes one, even when it appears totally stock otherwise it's almost frowned upon. It's truly bizarre.

That all said, I remain a huge fan of hot 308s, but still object re the Honda engine. I am hoping once it's done I am sold on it though, perhaps even shaping more opinion on these builds.

Keep cracking away Mike

Cirorsi likes this.
  10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Maintenance. There are very few places that can work on even a stock Ferrari and once its modified the number drops by 90% I'd guess. When its you're car and you maintain it that's a non-issue but that's not the case with most Ferrari owners...so they wish for more HP then are scared to jump in once they've thought about what that means....it starts to look like a money pit. At least that is how it appears to me based on comments/posts over the years.

If its well done though you do see them move at decent prices....the draw of more hp and a more exotic/exclusive car is just to hard for at least a portion to the market to ignore. I'm sure your car would be in this group....but its for sure a more limited group of buyers. I've seen quite a few end up sold through the shop who built them as that gives a bit more security blanket feeling that you're not on your own with god knows what.

The Porsche crowd is a bit different, many more more home mechanics and many more cars to source spares from and the a big enough market so NLA basically doesn't happens. Even there though the market for non-Porsche powered creations is basically nonexistent...you see then pop up but its very rare they command much interest. The engine is just such a big part of what makes an exotic exotic and the more fiscal sense a swap makes the less desirable/exotic it becomes, at least in the normal exotic market crowd but perhaps as Mike said it opens new doors, I have no idea about that other than I haven't seen it.

dhalter likes this.
  11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

The 308 /328 is quickly becoming a Ferrari classic and growing on the collecting lists of Ferrari Collectors. there are few very original and well maintained 308's out there. the average values have almost doubled over the past 20 years. So while the 308 lends its self to the home mechanic - I think the future of values will steadily increase... they will be $100K cars in the next 10- years. that said, the cost to really care for them properly has never been cheap. so when you modify one so extensively i think that is why the huge reaction... everyone that is in the 308 world spends so much time trying to care and maintain the .. and make them more usable without destroying originality ... doing the build here is very different. so while I personally would not want t use a honda engine in a Ferrar... or vice versa... nevertheless this is a very interesting build. a 1000hp 308 ? has a lot of allure. as for the comparison to Porsche... there just is none Porsche made more cars in a month that Ferrari did in a year when the 308 was new. there is just so many cars in the Porsche world. modifying them is its own sub Porsche world. owning both marques ... i find there is almost no comparison to Porsche owners and Ferrari owners ( unless they own both... and then its usually they love racing ) ... many Porsche owners are eager to modify their car from new... and there is a huge industry that supports them... not really so in the Ferrari world. that said I'd love a 356 Coupe with about 350 HP... it would just be cool...

M.Burroughs likes this.
  12. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I just watched your latest vid... I need a front bumper... dang it! Very interesting project man.

13. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I really appreciate this kind of support, JC. I won't lie and say I didn't type up an initially very critical response to the guy at first, but eventually landed on feeling like the question was stupid anyway.
    I'm glad some opinions are turning. Mine are too. It's understandable everyone was feeling a bit aggressive from the start.

Thank you for the support. I'm still hesitant about how you guys may feel about the end result from a looks perspective, but I feel like as we go along, at least the direction and ethos behind the build will continue to garner some understanding and appreciation.

Thanks! Sorry about that. If the sale for the front bumper falls through for any reason, I'll let you know.

Imatk likes this.
  14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think maybe you're worried too much about that. We've already seen the basic 308 transformed into the F40 and the 288 Evoluzione 35 years ago and unless you are going to reinvent the wheel I'm pretty sure you're going to end up somewhere close to those lines.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot likes this.
  15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Hey as long as you're happy. Don't get me started on all the over-restored Ferrari's gracing the lawns of Pebble Beach and the like, it's infuriating. Not to go too off-topic. Then there's the other end of that spectrum, eccentric individuals with fabulous cars that are rotting, one of the most famous being the Karl Kleve IIRC. It was a late 50s racing Ferrari (can't recall which) in Ohio left to sit out and rot in some tow yard. It was stolen from the yard in the 80s and shipped to Europe and restored. The lawsuits surrounding that car and who owns it are hilarious. Never would have happened had that car just been taken car of to some degree. Then there's the countless fabulous cars sitting in Dubai under a yard of dirt...... I digress

16. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Exactly..... and I don't think its the prospect of lighting or body mods any of that so much as the engine that is disturbing and blasphemouso_O

...at least on this particular site. Over on GRM they mostly approve and probably the same on honda forums.

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This K24 into a Lotus Exige might be useful to compare notes.

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hmmm how hard would it be to fit one of these Honda's into a Lotus Europa? I've had a hankering for a gt47 replica... but was always thinking of a V-8... but a small honda may be better lighter and easier to install. there is a Europa on BAT now ... dreams ..... but its fun

20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have a ‘73 Europa and it is like a motorized roller skate! Fun car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Just wanted to ‘weigh’ in on the 308s-are-ludicrously-heavy discussion. Is this really true? I was watching some delta integrale videos this morning: 1300kg/215bhp being considered light and powerful ... was just checking Wikipedia estimating 308 gt4 at 1150kg. Seems pretty light to me!

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, this is where we have to give Mr Burroughs some question because although he doesn't use the term "ludicrous" he does indeed often say "ridiculous" and "insane" when describing the 308 structure. He never , however acknowledges the fact that it was a vehicle that had complied with all of the US DOT crash and emissions regulations at the time and hey, how much of a POS was the 1980 Corvette? What kind of engine was Honda putting in the Accord in 1980?

I'll respect his build if he'll show some respect for what he's building it off of but so far he just keeps going on about how stupid Ferrari is and how much smarter he is and honestly, it just turns me off.

us DOT compliant

23. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    A 16V Integrale had 200hp and weighed in at 1260 kgs. I think they had a cast iron cylinder block. Add in 4WD, and I'd say they were reasonably light.
    My old 964 RS was 260hp (German ponies, not Italian ones ... ) and weighed in at 1230kg, it was built like a brick built outhouse compared with an Integrale or a 308 though :D

24. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I'd be surprised if the Vetroresinas were any more than 220lbs (100Kkg) lighter than their steel equivalents.

It'd be good if someone could weigh a completely bare chassis, I suspect it's not light ...

It's clear the designers and engineers had a tough brief with the 308. A look at the HVAC system would indicate that packaging was a real issue, hence the numerous components littered around the front end of the car (the twin blower fans, the twin heater matrices) SIC ? etc.
    If the end result of their considerable labours had been a HVAC system that produced cabin temperatures worthy of that found on the Artic tundra, all would be well, but they didn't ;)

Someone said earlier in this thread that the 308 was constructed using the best technology available at the time the car was conceived. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by 1975 most manufacturers were using unibody construction, rather than body on frame construction, though I grant you the production numbers for the 308 were tiny compared with the likes of Fiat, Fort etc.

The Cosworth DFV (1967) and the BDA (1969) both utilised 4 valve per cylinder technology and both the Porsche 2.7 RS and 2.8 RSR (1973) were using mechanical fuel injection. I think that viewing the 308 GTB/S as being designed and constructed "using the best available at the time", may have required the use of rose tinted glasses !!

25. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yep the 308 design was routed in 60's technology, basically a cost optimised 246 frame, it was not until the 348 that Ferrari moved to unibody construction, this is to a degree why these are great Ferrari's for the DIY mechanic as they are simple cars other than access to some parts being a knuckle grazing experience.

ATSAaron likes this.