360 - F1 Clutch Slip on Upshifts | FerrariChat

360 F1 Clutch Slip on Upshifts

Discussion in '360/430' started by becausephilchow, Jan 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Figured I'd see if anybody has seen these symptoms, or issues before:

2000 Ferrari 360 Modena, F1 Transmission
    Brand New Clutch, Throwout Bearing, Pressure Plate
    Brand New Accumulator, ElectroValves
    Brand New Timing Belt/Water Pump
    CS TCU Reflash by Eric355

So, my 360 was brought in to do huge major service. Essentially replacing everything. Hoses, Clutch, Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc.

Figured, the car should drive mint after, and everything would be great. However, upon after installing everything, and getting it all done, I've noticed that the car, when upshifting, it slips. Downshifts seem...lethargic, but, the biggest issue is the upshifts. It's worse in Normal Mode, it's a bit better in Sport Mode, but, it still has that slipping issue.

We've reset the PIS, tried all sorts of ranges, and, we've also bled the clutch numerous times.

The weirdest thing is, as I sent at different TCU for Eric to Flash, we thought, oh, maybe it's the TCU. So, we tried the Original TCU that was in my car, which we were thinking, if it's the TCU, then surelyt this will fix it. Nope, the old Original TCU, still has this issue. We then received another TCU from Eric, and then, still the same issue.

So, it seems, that it's not a TCU related issue, but more of a Mechanical issue? But, we've already dropped the Transmission agian, to check the TOB, and everything, and that was all fine. Everything's been done essentially twice at this point now.

Anybody have any insight on what there is left to take a look at?

2. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    The new clutch would/may be a little more slippery when new and may need to be broken in. Re-adjust PIS after say like 500 miles or so. Also not all F1 are created equal, PIS number is a suggestion and may vary perhaps due calibration of sensors, so adjust to as low as possible w/o dragging. In my case it ran poorly at factory setting but perfectly engaging and happy at 4.2. YMMV.

3. Craig Z.

Craig Z. Rookie

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Craig Zapp
    I noticed in your list of replacement parts that the F1 clutch position sensor was not replaced.
    I had a similar issue with my 2001 Spider that was resolved with a new flywheel, clutch and clutch position sensor.

4. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    I have the same on my 430. Mine also slightly blips during upshifts. As if you don't release the accelerator when shifting. Causes slipping and clutch smoke during full power aggressive up shifts.
    The car is currently getting investigated. Hope to get news next week.

5. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Hmm, i'll ask them to try. They tried all sorts of PIS Settings already, none seem to be improved. I thought it was a "New Clutch" thing too, but, it seems weird that takeoff is ok, but, it happens when shifting.

I'll ask, i'm pretty sure they replaced the Clutch Position Sensor. You had the same issue when shifting too, and then changing Flywheel/Clutch/Sensor fixed it all?

Hopefully you get it figured out too!

They have another 360 in the shop today, going to swap around the TCUs, to see if my TCU works fine in othe other car, and if my car works fine with the other TCU. If, the other car works fine with the TCU, then for sure we know that it's not TCU related, and must be something mechanical. I'm leaning towards something mechanical, but we'll see.

6. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Any updates on this?
    My F430 flares on up shifts even after PIS being re-set and clutch re-learn.

7. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Figured I'd give everybody an update, to see if this helps anybody:

So, I decided to take the car back from the shop, and drive it for a bit. I've heard/been told sometimes it needs to be "Bedded-In"/Driven to break in the clutch. Figured, why not, the car's just sitting there anyways, might as well give it a shot.

This is with my Original TCU, with the CS TCU installed, the car will barely move. Prior to this, the Original TCU was exhibiting all the weird shifting symptons, and the CS TCU, was even worse.

Day 1 on Pickup: The car, in Normal Mode (Non-Sport), it felt more or less like it did before. Under 5K RPM, everything was alright. Above 5K RPM, it would more often than not, do that weird shifting thing. So essentially what it is, is that when I upshift, the revs will jump up, roughly 1000RPM, and then drop by down, maybe around 500RPM lower than where it should be, and then it gets to the RPM's that it should be at. I've read that, it seems the dipping 500RPM lower than where it should be, seems to be "normal"?

I didn't try Sport Mode this time, as there was traffic, and I had to get home anyways, so didn't have much time to really drive it.

Day 2 Morning: Took it out for a quick drive, Normal Mode, IMO, felt even better than Day 1. Under 5K RPM, it was...pretty perfect now. Just like it was before, and how I felt it should be. Over 5K RPM though, it was doing the weird shifting thing, but significantly less. While i'm driving, I'm trying all sorts of upshifts, downshifts, on gas, off gas, etc. So i'm trying all sorts of scenarios to see if I can trigger/make the weird shifting thing happen. Much more difficult to "Make" it happen. I notice that, if I'm maybe 50% Throttle, and upshifting, there's a higher chance of it happening. If i'm on very slightl throttle, then it happens much less. On like 80%+ Throttle, there's a very slight chance of it happening too. So, this seems like an improvement to me already. I tried Sport Mode now, and, the slipping actually happened a fair bit. I didn't drive the Sport Mode too much because of this. Also to mention, when my car was at the shop, Normal Mode, was actually the one that was worse, and the car was better in Sport Mode actually, which is really odd. But now for me it's the other way around.

Day 2 Afternoon: Took it back home, trying out Normal/Sport Mode, and, it seemed that, there was an improvement across all fronts. Normal Mode, was pretty damn good. Below 5K, Above 5K, Partial Throttle, etc. Everything. Sport Mode was still a bit not the best, so I just continued to drive home in Normal Mode.

Day 2 Evening: Took it for a long drive last night, and, this time, roads were empty, so I was able to give it some real throttle. Normal Mode, still working alright. The Weird shifting thing happened once or twice on the whole drive in, but, it was typically above 5K, 50% Throttle. Anything that wasn't that, it worked flawlessly IMO. Sport Mode, once again, it was improved upon the previous drives, but still not to the level of Normal Mode.

Day 2 Late Evening: Took it back home, long stretches of road, and everything. This time, I really decided to try more full/higher throttle shifts. At 80% Shifts, in Normal or Sport Mode, at any RPM, the car felt great. Downshifts were great, rev-matches well, and strong. Everything was great. I think I managed to trigger the weird shifting once, and I also tried the 50% Throttle, and, from my memory, the weird shifting only happened once too. Otherwise, it felt great.

So, it seems hat the more I drive it, the "Better" it is. Does the TCU have more self adapting features or something, or I guess maybe there was some oil, or something on the clutch surface, making it "Slip"?

But yeah, that's my experience with it right now. I'm going to continue driving it more, drive it more in city driving too, to get more "Shifts" in, to see if it continues to improve.

Apollo 11 likes this.