Ferrari SUV is a no for me | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SUV is a no for me

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by In-Dure, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Relax with the caps man.

ginoBBi512 and Nospinzone like this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly!

Read Luca Dal Monte's book Enzo Ferrari: Power, Politics, and the Making of an Automotive Empire. It is the most exhaustive biography of Ferrari. In the book, and in several conversations I have had with Luca, Enzo had virtually no involvement in the making of the road cars.

I think the closest he came was bemoaning his company didn't design a car as beautiful as the Jaguar E-Type.

In-Dure, Boomhauer and ginoBBi512 like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the issue with the Ferrari SUV is they are coming LAST -- and that means the bar is set pretty high. If it isn't clearly better than others, you would have to say its a fail. Heaven knows they have been working on it long enough.

If they think they can just stick a Ferrari engine and badge onto a truck and sell it, they have a rude awaking coming.

430tdf, paulchua, In-Dure and 3 others like this.
  4. In-Dure

In-Dure Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    In-Dure
    @the mayor that’s true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    First two years they’ll be orders full, wealthy folks who buy SUV’s get bored like the rest of us Bentley, RR, lease will be up for renewal, don’t forget the optics of
    mama’s Ferrari SUV.

In-Dure likes this.
  6. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I see a fair number of the RR Cullinan's driving around in Florida. Not like a Honda but probably 1 - 2 per day.
    Sent from my Pixel 5 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Headsuppassinglft

Dec 24, 2020
    Addison, TX
    Full Name:
    Christine Fritsch
    In my opinion, the FF looks so much like an SUV, they might as well just do a face lift and call it good. I do like that about McLaren. They won't make an SUV, but mostly due to the costs involved with completely re-engineering and building everything from scratch.

8. Danbossi

Danbossi Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Beautiful NJ
    Full Name:
    Danny Bossi
    You forgot to add, "Ferrari went Turbo" to the list.

paulchua and Headsuppassinglft like this.
  9. RosoF1

RosoF1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2014
    There does not need to be just one way to enjoy a brand; somehow Ferrari racers have been able to coexist with drivers of street cars, so not sure why an SUV driver should be excluded. As one of the many people who needs an SUV (in addition to other vehicle types), I am happy to have more options than an Explorer or a Sclade. Have enjoyed owning Cayennes, Range Rovers and the Bentley; have driven the Urus and the Cullinan (prefer the former). Not sure the price point of the Ferrari will make sense for this class of vehicle, but if it provides an in-brand option to an existing customer or allows a new customer to share some of our passion, I am all for it. I will have more in common with someone who buys and is enthusiastic about their Ferrari SUV than the people in the Teslas who think they are great drivers because their cars are fast from a standing start :)

10. gt corsa

gt corsa Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    pacific palisades ca
    Full Name:
    dennis white
    Would be interesting to know what percentage of people bought Ferrari stock as a typical "investment" to ultimately sell for a return? Since it's not a matter of survival a la Aston, would have been nice if the manufacturer with the greatest racing (in particular) and sports car history would have passed on this.

11. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    We are haunted by the specter of well-off soccer moms dropping off their kids at the playground in their Ferrari SUV's. But, I think that the real psychological barrier here is that we fear the commoditization of the brand. What is the psychological value of owning a rare and exotic brand of car when there are many of them? What does that do to our own investment in these cars? If the owners of the brand want to greatly increase volume, they can do that, but with volume comes loss of exclusivity. Also, loss of profit margin.
    I own a Cayenne. It's a superior SUV. But it's not at all like driving my Ferrari or a 911 for that matter. And I see other Cayenne's all around town (in Ohio, for crying out loud!). Ferrari can do that, and make a lot of money for awhile. But the exclusivity will be dissipated. So I would prefer that they protect the exclusivity of the brand by continuing to limit production and enjoy the huge profit margins that they do.
    All that said, my Ferrari will be just as enjoyable for me to drive regardless of whatever business decisions the suits make.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good call!

Some folks also don't realize Ferrari is currently using V6 turbos + hybrid in F1. Fuel Injection from Carbs, electronic hardtops, all-digital interiors (see Roma), Catalytic converters, Particulate filters, fake vents.

All the holy cows have been slaughtered long ago.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Once again, the Mayor speaks the truth.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree there are gradations, but I think the watershed moment was 1969. After that, we're just talking about different shades of grey now. I think we all have to accept Ferrari is a publically traded company (with all the expectations.)

I'm not too concerned because I see, well, Porsche. Most of their profit comes from the Macan/Cayenne. It has not diluted the 911 or 718s (well outside sound); in fact, both continue to be distilled.

15. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Does the FF or GTC 4 Lusso count as an SUV? 4 wheel drive, 4 doors and a hatch? I know they call it a shooting brake but...

16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    So your logic is the Panamera is an suv..

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    If it was not for the SUV Porsche would likely be out of business or would not be producing nearly the level of cars they do. The SUV sales subsidize their cars meaning they can afford lower sales numbers and margins on the cars when they can sell tons of SUVs. Yes it has diminished the brand a little bit I’d rather have the brand than not.

So my thinking for the Ferrari SUV is bring it on and let the ultra wealthy subsidize the Ferrari business so the “normal wealthy” can still buy the cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    The RR SUV is gross. As is the Bentley- looks like a hearse. The Lambo SUV is pretty sexy- you can get the same car as an Audi for $100k less, the lines are not as sexy and the interior is not as rich, but...

19. Jerry Kennelly

Apr 29, 2020
    Skip all the SUV's and get a Four Wheel Pickup with Crew Cab. I have 4 Ferrari's and I have had many SUV's (Tourareg, Cayenne, Range Rover and Bentayga). I recently gave away my $265k Bentayga to my Son and bought a new Ram Rebel 4x4 Crew Cab pickup for $50k. It has a 5.7l Hemi engine, rides great, has tons of interior space with many options, will haul 12,000 pounds and carry anything. You ride high up and I will never go back to an SUV.

JTSE30 and Gh21631 like this.
  20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It will impact the image of Ferrari for us who love the brand for what it was built for (racing, passion, exotic, beautiful, thrilling to drive etc..) and i wonder if it will sell so well that people in 10/20 years might just know Ferrari as a car brand as opposed to an exotic/sports/supercar brand? The same way Porsche now sells way more SUV and sedans than 911s.

21. 71type65

71type65 Rookie

Nov 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    71type65
    Are they coming out with an SUV? Not for me. But I would be surprised if Ferrari hasn't already built an SUV for the Sultan of Brunei or another collector at that level. Just a guess.

22. savannah

savannah Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Everett DeHut
    You make SUV's to be competitive. To stay in business. To pay shareholders. Make money to invest in styling and technology. To attract new customers that may also buy cars. To race and market. I never drove an automatic until I was in my 20's. I get my stick fix with my 1986 911. I like the automatics, they're faster. Customers don't want automatics or they would be made. I wonder why no one complains that McLaren doesn't make a stick? Incidentally, I have an F12 that I drive three or four times a week as I drive my other cars. It's on another level and it puts me on another level. I'm a driver. Not a collector. I don't drive SUV's but to each his own.

23. Danbossi

Danbossi Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Beautiful NJ
    Full Name:
    Danny Bossi
    2 Doors not 4.

24. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    This discussion has become a bit meaningless, like arguing about women.
    California really does have fabulous roads for driving; as does Colorado and Italy! As everywhere, one needs to know where to go. And I’m sure there are a hundred other options.

KLHarper and Boomhauer like this.
  25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Look we should be cheering for Ferrari to survive in a competitive market. They want to make expensive SUVs? Good. Price them high and sell them all over the world. I probably won’t buy one and it sounds like others here might not either, but Ferrari, like any other company, has to adapt or risk extinction.

Boomhauer and anunakki like this.