430 - SEB - Smart E-DIFF Bypass ECU | FerrariChat

430 SEB - Smart E-DIFF Bypass ECU

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    #1 Ray Smith, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2021
    I was lucky enough to be one of the first customers for Stefvan's latest incredible device. I have installed it and have been driving around with it for about a week and over 500 miles and know this is a winner.

The device plugs into the E-Diff controller ECU box behind the driver's seat in what I call the Hell Hole. It fits perfectly and is secured by double-sided Velcro ® fasteners (not supplied, Home Depot). The original E-Diff wiring plugs into the Scud Ing SEB which is plugged into the E-Diff ECU. This device, depending on your manettino setting, totally disables the E-Diff giving the car an open rear: A Limited Slip Differential (LSD) just like all other performance cars. Stef's device emulates the E-Diff controller so the Magneti Marelli system thinks you still have an E-Diff so there are no error codes or cranky "Slow Down/Limp home" messages.

If the manettino is in Sport, Race,or CST mode, you have an open rear (a normal LSD). If you set it to a low grip setting, the E-Diff is activated and the computers can sense steering angle, yaw, and individual wheel speed to determine if there should be E-Diff intervention and whether the E-Diff clutches engage or disengage depending on the intervention required. It then functions as delivered.

If you don't need or want the nanny intervention, this ECU permits you to do without it. Power is supplied equally to both rear wheels all the time. This is why the 430 Challenge cars do not utilize the E-Diff.

It also comes with a remote control so you can, at your whim, engage or disengage the E-Diff. This impresses women.

Stef is amazing.

Ray

Atlantic and armedferret like this.
  2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I should point out that I spent 30 years writing firmware for embedded processors. That's part of what what Stef does. But the hidden part of the process is reverse engineering the firmware that his processor must communicate with, and do it flawlessly. The system must believe it is talking to one of its own controllers and receiving correct data. This is no easy task. Nobody publishes the source code for their firmware, so it requires knowledge of hardware and software to make this work. It requires interpreting signals from, and to, both controllers under a variety of circumstances and conditions. It is tedious, and time consuming, and can be very frustrating.

When I first saw the prices for some of Stef's inventions, I was somewhat taken aback. But having bought almost all of his products, and having them perform flawlessly since installation, I'm convinced they are more than worth the money considering the R&D that goes into these products and the bullet-proof construction of his units. The peace of mind they provide is priceless.

And, no, I don't work for Stef, but I wish I did. He comes up with some fantastic ideas and solutions to interesting problems that we face as Ferrari owners.

Thanks again, Stef.

Ray

AandSC likes this.
  3. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    Awesome work, I wish we had something to control the suspension individually. My perfect setting would be sport mode, with the clutch engagement of race mode (keep slower shifts to be easier on transmission)

Ray Smith and brogenville like this.
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    What is a "non-sponsor" link?

Ray

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    This is embarrassing.

I thought the product had been released for general sale.

It has not been released. I jumped the gun. I saw it listed on the website and incorrectly drew the conclusion that it had been released and in my glee to inform other 430 owners I released confidential information. Mea Culpa.

My profound apologies to Stef and to everyone who thought they could order one.

Ray

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    It will not be available for order until the official product launch, which will be on 5th March 2021.

Again, my apologies to Stef and to all members with a 430.

Ray

brogenville likes this.
  7. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    QUOTE="Ray Smith, post: 147705490, member: 239328"] was lucky enough to be one of the first customers for Stefvan's latest incredible device. I have installed it and have been driving around with it for about a week and over 500 miles and know this is a winner.

It has now been released by Stef and I am awaiting delivery tomorrow. I already have the hell hole apart E-Diff unplugged and just ready and waiting to plug it in upon arrival.

What are your driving impressions so far with the beta testing unit? Like you, I have almost everything they market and am most impressed by the engineering and R&D in his quality bulletproof products. If this is as good as everything else I have bought, it will be a no brainer. Please let me know of your driving experiences and I'll do the same once installed.

Ray Smith likes this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    But confused... your riff can’t be both open and LSD. Does the 430 diff have friction plates inside such that it acts like an lsd when unpowered?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I think Ray means by open differential a standard differential without clutching interference causing it to not be a limited slip differential, or removing that functional capacity when active. I believe this device deactivates the clutches in the sport and race settings but allows the E-Diff to be active in the low traction modes, ice and rain modes slippery etc. depending on the Mannetino switch selection. It opens up the clutches in the E-Diff in the upper sport race and CST settings. It can be returned to factory normal with the use of the remote control switch. I get mine today and it will be installed this evening and hopefully can get an idea of just how it works and post some driving impressions on Stef's newest development.

Ray Smith likes this.
  10. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
  11. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Ray Smith likes this.
  12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Installed today. Easy install. Driving impressions are several, U turns are immediately noticeably smoother and easy,no resistance noted, no chatter from rear, and it turns smoother in city traffic. Differential whine at 80 is not as apparent or loud as previously. In straight line highway driving, not much change is perceptible except maybe lane changes are more spontaneous with no resistance. I think things are generally smoother now with the car and it improves driveability IMHO. Shifting, esp downshifts were more crisp, but upshifts about the same speed wise. All in all, if it saves the F1 pump and allows a little longer component life before that goes out so much the better.

Attached Files:

Ray Smith likes this.
  13. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hello, why is this a better setup? Surely the ediff takes into account all of and reacts better than mechanical lsd?

14. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
  15. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Super easy install. I have yet to drive it. Maybe took 5 mins to install, that included finding some zip ties.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Ray Smith likes this.
  16. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Wow, seems like a great update for the F430!

Marcoboxer and Ray Smith like this.
  17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    It is. Install and forget. It takes longer to take out the 5 bolts holding the cover on than to install the SEB.

18. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    It just becomes a LSD which in Europe they refer to as "open" rear which means something entirely different here. An "open" diff sends all the torque to the wheel without traction. The diff does have clutches. But the E-diff decides when to engage/disengage them and on which side. When disabled, the clutches act just like a Posi-traction rear on a Chevy, a Sure-Grip on a Mopar.

19. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So we agree that "open" means non-locking, which I'm pretty sure is universally understood.

The e-diff does indeed have clutches that can engage upon application of pressure in the hydraulic circuit. Without this, the e-diff is open. I.e., not slip limting... i.e. not like a posi-traction.

It seems from reading the Scud Ing description, which let's just say is pretty punchy in some of its assertions, that they consider that even in its open state, they estimate there to be 5-10% locking effect with the system depressurised. This sounds like proper "finger in the air" engineering to throw out number like these, and seems to contradict what they say above this that the diff operates as open 99% of the time.

It cannot be both open and "5-10% locking".

I will accept that the diff remains in a very-limited-slip state following depressurisation of the e-diff, but as with all wearing components, the precise amount of locking will really depend on the age and condition of the system.

Ray Smith likes this.
  20. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It cant be correct as he also says from memory that if you fit 235 front tires at 110kmh or 10rpm difference due to 7mm high wheel dia, the diff starts to lock arouund 6-8% from memory and this is dangerous and also wears the f1 system out
    Apparently if the tires are correct at any speed driving forwards it will never lock diff

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    A way to test your theory is simple. Find a deserted stretch of road and nail it from a standstill. If that produces two black strips of rubber, it's a LSD. If it produces only one black strip it's an open diff. It doesn't have to be an NHRA-level burnout, just enough torque to break the tires loose for about 2-seconds. Note that depending on the speed of diff clutch actuation, the stripes may be periodically interrupted ... e.g. -- -- - - --- and not always ------------

That's the test we used when I was a kid to determine the presence or absence of Posit-traction/Sure Grip.

Marcoboxer likes this.
  22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I'll send Stef an email and ask him to clarify. Keep in mind that, as with his installation instructions, there is some flexibility in the translation from French to English. An example is what he refers to as "comfort flashes" which is better described as "convenience flashes".

23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    A pal of mine just this evening jacked his 430 up at the back- with the e-diff disconnected (as part of a manual swap), he tried turning one wheel by hand to see what happens on the other side. A true open diff would have the other wheel turn backwards, and a functioning LSD would have the other wheel turn the same direction.The result was the other wheel stayed stationary. This shows that the e-diff is, at heart, an LSD as Stef suggests, but one that acting like it's completely worn out. I can imagine that with a bit of heat and expansion, there might be some locking effect, but it will only ever be very minimal.

Ray Smith likes this.
  24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Yes, that's another reliable way to determine differential type. The '60s method was much more entertaining. :rolleyes:

brogenville likes this.
  25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I should add that its not necessarily a bad thing if the diff is basically fully open. I mean, up until very recently all McLarens used fully open differentials, though it has to be said that their entire suspension philosophy is optimised for this. Ultimately its personal preference- if you like how the car drives with the e-diff off, then this is clearly an excellent way to achieve this.