Sooty leak under the middle of the car | FerrariChat

Sooty leak under the middle of the car

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I dropped off my 2015 T at my dealer's preferred body shop to have a rim repainted (some idiot forced me off a rotary making a right turn from the left lane and caught a curb with the rear wheel) as well as getting my silver calipers painted yellow and carbon shields put on. Came home to an empty garage and noticed some coin-sized drips at about the midpoint of the car, they had dried but there was a black sooty residue on the floor.

From searching seems like this is somewhat common from the exhaust? Haven't noticed it before but I did put the sport exhaust on the car a few months ago and have been driving quite a bit in colder weather here as the roads have been dry. I'm familiar with the soot spitting from the tailpipes on a cold start, just curious how it runs back to the middle of the car, or whether it's a sign of a potential exhaust leak.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    My service guy tells me that direct injection engines generate a lot of soot and that when condensation in the exhaust system picks it up it leaks out of connections.

SVCalifornia and vjd3 like this.
  3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As above, nothing to worry about.

vjd3 likes this.
  4. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
  5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    That was common and your original exhaust likely had a seam sealer in the junctions, appears like a white past on all the seams. In all likelihood that was not doen when the sport exhaust was installed and this is the result. With the exception of staining your garage floor it is harmless.