slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice | Page 3 | FerrariChat

slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by beauphus, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    i dont think third brake light came until 86

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Most of us would jump at chance to bring it back to its glory but the reality is that it will be an expensive and time consuming process.

Only you can sort out the emotional value.

boxerman likes this.
  3. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    Bring it back dude, it's a cool car. Cool spec.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    missing parts is a red flag wrt the storage facility. those missing pieces should be deducted from any fees due. i would be worried about mechanical situation if that facility also had the keys. who knows who has been behind the wheel.

5. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    Well as some have said it needs some work and money spending but I for one don't think it is beyond help. I'd certainly be interested and have sent you a message.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #56 vincenzo, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Bolster wear may indicate more than 7.7k miles.

$50 to 60k in the states sounds about right to me assuming it passes a compression test and thorough visual (accident damage etc). Get that done before you decide. If the engine is toast.... get what you can unless sentiment is important.

Subtract fees/taxes/transportation etc and it likely does not make $ sense unless the car has sentimental value. If you appreciate the car and your history with it, you won’t go wrong getting it to the states. Gather the missing pieces over time and diy what you can. Once you get it ‘close’, farm out or diy your belts etc. If it were me... it would be a fun project.

Very nice car.... rough, but nothing alarming.

Fricken lowlife thieves.... may they choke on the stolen parts.

PS: I find it odd that the passenger footwell cover for the center tunnel is missing. Perhaps somebody removed it to access something in the center console... like, maybe... the odometer(?)

ChipG and cgt000 like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My 02c.
    Really cool car but, Lots of bits missing and thats just what we see.
    Its got some dents and scrapes so figure 20K? for paint.
    If it needs an engine rebuild thats every bit of 50k. Tansmisison? Clutch. Radiator ? Ac servicing.
    Brakes will need a full rebuild, shocks, bushings, bearings, tires 10-15K. Restoring a Tr can run to 150k, this car maybe less if inertrior is all there and ok..

Looking at it another way, a car sitting so long. Imo if it was fully intact, not needing paint etc and motor good, just bringing it fully up to form between suspension engine out compete brake rebuild, shocks, both radiators all hoses switches etc that alone could come to 50K with labor. add paint missing bits motor work youre talking a big number no matter what youre not getting much change on 100k.

The bones look good and the mileage is low. If someone were to do the work themslevs then such a car could be appealing and a good bargain. If youre paying for labor odds are its pretty upside down before you start and labor is the biggest cost here.. As is its worth more as a parts car You could also try auction on BAT as a barn find, for some reason barn finds have cachet and fetch extra money, the story helps too.

You want to restore, if you can do the work yourself 30-50k. Paying to do it, figure 80-150k depending on and its more than likely the higher number possibly more. Unless it has large emotive value sell it for what you can.

INRange likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Here’s an off the wall idea. Because the car is in Maranello, I wonder how much the factory would charge to do a classic certification?

With that in hand, you could put it on BaT.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GTHill and Jakuzzi like this.
  9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #59 msdesignltd, Jan 29, 2021
    I thought Mike Sheehan died a few years ago...
    Daughter is carrying on..
    Fantastic story this car has..
    If it were me ..I would do it to show level...Yes,even classiche in Italy..
    Imagine the feeling starting it up on a cool early sunday morning and heading out into the sunrise!!
    Would make me cry, without hesitation.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'd go get the car once the pandemic ends. By the way, to import it, it's only a 2.5% duty--not sure how you would base that though as there was no "purchase price". They may just go by NADA values (if they exist) or you could give them comps. With that story, I'd bring it back here, fix it up, and drive it. Wonderful silver on dark blue combo too.

Importing a car to the US that is over 25 years old is easy easy easy. It's exempt for DOT and EPA. You should have no troubles with this one.

Personally, I'd get it running and driving while still in Italy. Once things open up, I'd go over and do a little Italy road trip in the TR and then bring it home. :) No Sheehans needed...

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    I’m torn between the two schools of thought. On one hand of course it would be amazing to restore my father’s car. The backstory is awesome of course. But the unknowns and variables give me concern. Like what if I I can’t source the parts or there is some other major curveball I don’t know about. Does anybody know a shop that’s trustworthy in Maranello that knows the TR?

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    What??!!!

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Being in Modena and visiting some shops there i can say the talent and capacity is there .. i am sure many can help you find a great shop

I would second the above comments ... That you should have the work done in italy and then bring here ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Work done in italy has a romantic ring to it.... but if the service is done poorly and cau$e$ damage, you will have no recourse. Likewise driving around italy,,,, be warned, they have a VERY different and more aggressive driving style. Overnight on the street, or in hotel parking could be an expen$ive mistake (America too).

Having Ferrari do certified restoration work would likely be super, super expensive.

2NA likes this.
  15. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I could be interested if you want to PM me. I had a 512TR restoration that fell through, but am very mechanically inclined.

16. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I think you can find the parts, if you have time to wait for them to turn up. I put my 308 racer together which was missing a lot of parts when I bought it, but it took a couple of years and quite a lot of searching worldwide. If you go down that route I am sure you will get help here, there are a lot of knowledgeable people.
    It would be a shame if it was broken for parts. Once the car is gone, it is gone and so is any emotional link you might have with it. Of course it would be the neatest outcome if you retained the car and restored it, if you have the time and money you wish to spend on it and if you want to keep it. There might be some challenges with the storage company but one way or another I do think it can be saved.

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #67 theunissenguido, Jan 29, 2021
    The WUR's are still there...the imatriculation paper says NATO It and US. A militar with residence in the US and in Italy at that time. So the car was prepaired to go to the US. Thats why it has Miles instead of KM. NATO did have a special status buying cars in Europe. I believe it was tax free to buy. Importing it to the US I have idea if Taxes needed at that time. Missing parts can be explained = used on other TR's when parts aren't available on short term...and who knows to compensate the parkings costs.

ingegnere and BigTex like this.
  18. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    what are WURs?

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Warm Up Regulators for the injection system.

20. megamarco9

megamarco9 Karting

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    unique color combo.... love it. Bring it back, so many great people on F-Chat that would help you trouble shoot issues and source almost any part you would need. You father sounds like he lived an amazing life, keep it going with his TR, now your TR. Just sayin'

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    His dealership email from 12 days ago has his name on it.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm so sentimental, that if my father left me that I would restore it and pass it on to my sons. It wouldn't be about the cost.

Tarek307 and kdf398 like this.
  23. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    I’m legally forbidden from discussing it but yeah. He had fun

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry maybe you mentioned it..what state are you in?
    There are no parts for this car that are not obtainable.....yet

25. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    thats how I’m feeling. Just scared I’ll be stuck with an incomplete project for 10 years

ryalex likes this.